3 - 2 - 5

LNERGE

We used to signal the old freightliner trains with the bell code 3 - 2 - 5. Some years back it was changed to 3 - 1 - 1. I was told this was because the wagons were no longer permanently coupled in rakes of five. Certainly when the change first occurred the old wagons were still about running in formations with the new so i always found the change rather odd. No cutting out one wagon with a defect ect. I've always wondered why the change came about?

There were other codes used to describe the length of the train. 4 - 3 - 2 - 5, 3 - 3 - 2 - 5 and 2 - 3 - 2 - 5 as there were places some of these trains were not allowed to stop like where a spring point was too close to a stop signal or there was a risk of the rear fouling an auto crossing or similar. Ely North Junction was one location where such a restriction took place as the trailing spring points for the West Curve could cause a problem. How many other locations were a problem? was there a list or instruction?

I'm rather impressed with the Bachmann wagons and have bought quite a few. What other wagons could i run with them to represent the transitional period before they were phased out?

Im a bit rusty on my years and tops codes, but yup Hornby kfa is a definite. The pocket wagon (Dapol) was introduced in 1999 I believe so just slips in. Bachmann twin flats (FIA?) and Dapol megafrets (IFA?) for 45ft containers through the chunnel fit in the time frame but I don't know if they would have been seen with old ffa/fga sets.

Dapol 60ft spine wagons are too modern for that period, as are the Realtrack FLA lowliner pairs. However, depending what you're happy to run, I have converted some of the latter into original Lowliner 5 sets which first appeared in the 1990s. They look right if you're not counting rivets, but are a big compromise.

The missing element here that would be ideal for you is 60ft FSA/FTA pairs/triples (introduced late 80s/early 90s?) Which could be seen run with the older flats a lot. Others have scratch built them and it's one of the items on my projects pile; laser cut FSA/FTA deck beds fixed onto chopped Bachmann FIA twins.

Hope that helps!

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2019 at 16:23, LNERGE said:

There were other codes used to describe the length of the train. 4 - 3 - 2 - 5, 3 - 3 - 2 - 5 and 2 - 3 - 2 - 5 as there were places some of these trains were not allowed to stop like where a spring point was too close to a stop signal or there was a risk of the rear fouling an auto crossing or similar. Ely North Junction was one location where such a restriction took place as the trailing spring points for the West Curve could cause a problem. How many other locations were a problem? was there a list or instruction?

Sectional appendix ?