Hornby 8F

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I have a newly acquired old but unused  Hornby R2229 8F which according to the diagram downloaded from Hornby has an 8 pin socket in the boiler. I am yet to open the loco up but in ran in well on DC.

Has anyone installed DCC - but more importantly for me - sound in one of these - I'd be glad of any advice or suggestions. The tender seems to have pick ups as well as there is a rudimentary connection to the loco and I assume there is space inside the tender for a speaker if required.

Thanks

Chris

I suggest you rearrange the loco wiring very significantly. Plan on decoder and speaker in the plentiful volume of the tender interior. Make a wired  wired link between the pick ups on loco and tender, and route the decoder motor output back to the motor.

Your choice whether you choose to make this modification, but isolating the chassis block from the rails is a good move too for running reliability, and is a sensible adjunct to the wiring rearrangement. In brief, one of the pick up wiper strips on the loco is in contact with the chassis block by a cast on peg on the bottom of the chassis block. Remove this peg, and solder on a wire.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I have a newly acquired old but unused  Hornby R2229 8F which according to the diagram downloaded from Hornby has an 8 pin socket in the boiler. I am yet to open the loco up but in ran in well on DC.

Has anyone installed DCC - but more importantly for me - sound in one of these - I'd be glad of any advice or suggestions. The tender seems to have pick ups as well as there is a rudimentary connection to the loco and I assume there is space inside the tender for a speaker if required.

Thanks

Chris

The last two I did were altered thus:

4 Pin Plug hardwired in the loco (Male Plug) & 4 Pin Plug in the tender (Female Plug)  this was connected to a 8Pin Socket in the tender.

The two outer wires were from the loco pickups, the two inners were from the motor. The weight in the loco was removed and replaced with 1mm lead flashing on the tender walls.  A ESU Sealed 20mm X 40mm Speaker & Locoman 8F decoders were fitted, WOW these are impressive.

PPS The coal bunker bottom has to be cut away to create and area for the sound chambers, if the enclosure is not airtight

( IE Every hole sealed with PVA Glue) the you have Crap/Quiet sounds.  Hope this helps.

Charlie (www.dckits-devideos.co.uk)

Edited by charliepetty
NEW
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I also lumped everything into the tender and made a wired connection from an old 8pin male to an 8pin female in the tender. I also had to chop away some of the tender bunker bottom to fit a larger speaker in. 

I did do another one with the chip in the loco and connected to a speaker in the tender, but changed this to the first method. If you wanted it to be detachable you could use something like this between the loco and tender.

https://www.expressmodels.co.uk/catalogue/micro-connectors/4-pin-micro-connector-detail

I am sure there are other options of joining the 2 but making them able to seperate.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I put the decoder in the loco (junked the socket etc and hard wired complete with small stay alive in the smokebox) and speaker in the tender, junked the tender pickups and used the drawbar connections to get the speaker connections through ... Paul Chetter went pale at the prospect of this but it has preformed faultlessly on Summat Colliery for quite a while ......

39 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I put the decoder in the loco (junked the socket etc and hard wired complete with small stay alive in the smokebox) and speaker in the tender, junked the tender pickups and used the drawbar connections to get the speaker connections through ... Paul Chetter went pale at the prospect of this but it has preformed faultlessly on Summat Colliery for quite a while ......

Ian,

Yes indeed.

I'm still getting nightmarish flashbacks about it, but as you say, it works.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the replies

I'm pretty comfortable with most sound installs but after a bit of a poke around I have decided to play carefully and have asked Charlie to do it....

Chris

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2019 at 17:06, pauliebanger said:

Ian,

Yes indeed.

I'm still getting nightmarish flashbacks about it, but as you say, it works.

Best regards,

Paul

I don't do it for customers though. Recently did a Locoman (sorry Paul) with an em2 in the tender. Lots of surgery needed to get that speaker in! I make my own 2 pin connector with 0.1" dil headers to go between loco and tender. 

931081768_DSC_0039(1).JPG.c7b51211442fa4e23d13b79971b50504.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG.1a05c3ccf68704e8264a1193d2a0db6d.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2019 at 16:24, RedgateModels said:

Just completed 2nd 8F sound in a similar way, hardwiring in the loco and removing the 8 pin socket / plug. Speaker in the tender and firebox flicker.

It's the 2nd install in this thread:

• Informative/Useful 1