Ex LNER Coaches on the S&D

Looking at books on the S&D, ex LNER Coaches ran on the line on a regular basis.

It is obvious why this happened on through trains from 'The North'  however there are photo's of Gresley 'Teaks' either on local trains on the main line - in one case replacing a vehicle in a 3 coach Bulleid set and in another case as part of a train a Burnham on Sea

This of course is in addition to the Thompson brake that worked on 'The Branch'

How did these vehicles end up working so far away from 'home'?

• RMweb Premium

There was a single Gresley teak SO at Seaton Junction in summer 1964: I saw it attached to a bog cart on the Seaton Branch (on a film, not in real life). Maybe it was 'lost' and was borrowed from time to time, even at Templecombe? I knew about the Thompson and I have seen phots of that somewhere but not seen Gresleys other than those that were left for a week at  Sidmouth and Tipton St Johns off the Cleethorpes Sidmouth/Exmouth. Suppose that some could have been purloined in 'an emergency' but only between 1960 and 1962. However my knowledge is limited. 

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The Thompson brake appears to be the same as those used on the Culm Valley branch. Could easily be one of these but no information to support this. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The Thompson brake appears to be the same as those used on the Culm Valley branch. Could easily be one of these but no information to support this. 

Rob. 

Presumably though both the 'Branch' Thompson & the Culm Valley ones were not simply purloined but ended up there by intention?

Like the Gresley Buffets that ended their days on the Bournemouth line & the Bulleid coaches that ended up on the West Highland

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

The pair on the Culm Valley were Diag 340 4 Compartment BTs transferred there to replace the life expired ex Barry Railway coaches.   They were renumbered into the Western Region list.   The one on the Highbridge branch was a Diag 361 5 compartment BT and as far as I can tell was never renumbered.

regards

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Presumably though both the 'Branch' Thompson & the Culm Valley ones were not simply purloined but ended up there by intention?...

Between electrification of GER section services and the influx of BR's 57' S and BS vehicles for KX services, the equivalent LNER design vehicles were rapidly displaced from the late fifties, and some of these still fit for service redeployed. The last time I rode in a Gresley non-gangwayed on BR was on LMR in the North West.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Between electrification of GER section services and the influx of BR's 57' S and BS vehicles for KX services, the equivalent LNER design vehicles were rapidly displaced from the late fifties, and some of these still fit for service redeployed. The last time I rode in a Gresley non-gangwayed on BR was on LMR in the North West.

Ah!. 

To be honest I know little about LNER stock..............it all looks the same......

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

It was almost certainly linked to edicts from "on high" that older carriages should be withdrawn from service. The LNER (and briefly the ER) had built significant numbers of non-corridor carriages after the war to Thompson designs, many of these had been displaced from their previous duties by dmus and were thus available to replace much older vehicles withdrawn by other regions in response to the "edict".

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bécasse said:

It was almost certainly linked to edicts from "on high" that older carriages should be withdrawn from service. The LNER (and briefly the ER) had built significant numbers of non-corridor carriages after the war to Thompson designs, many of these had been displaced from their previous duties by dmus and were thus available to replace much older vehicles withdrawn by other regions in response to the "edict".

I have a colour pic somewhere in one of my ref. books, of a two coach train somewhere in North Devon in about 1964/5. Standard 4 Tank, maroon(?) Bulleid and a freshly painted Thomson I think they were (without checking). 

P

• 3 months later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Getting back to the original question - a Gresley full brake (or is a pigeon van?) seems to make fairly regular appearances in the usual SDJR picture albums.

Presumably on pigeon specials from wherever north of Bristol?

Would the Hornby model be suitable?

Cheers

Jack