Poll for Indian Railway Models

MGR Hooper!

Poll for Indian Railway Models  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in basic Indian Railway kits?

• Yes in OO scale (1:76)
    • Yes in HO scale (1:87)
    • Yes in N scale (1:160)

Hey everyone,

We actually have a ever increasing range of HO (BG), HOm (MG) and HOe (NG) Indian Railway kits, the kits are easy to build and are actually quite detailed. They have been extremely popular over the last year or so of their introduction. Though they're easy to buld, they are for the rivet counters and professionals amongst us with their higher level of detail, their need for etched parts and also their need for brass wire and other detailing bits, this obviously adds to the cost.

Some time ago many of our followers and customers suggested doing basic OO or HO scale (BG) kits with lesser detail. People have suggested model kits along the lines of the Hornby Railroad range and their detail i.e. moulded grilles, moulded handrails, simple interiors and so on.

I just wanted to know who all are interested, I'll be doing the most popular locomotives and coaches from India and Sri Lanka. They'll be designed to use Hornby mechanisms (motor bogies or chassis).

So to summarize:

- OO or HO scale
- Easy to build kits
- Moulded handrails
- Moulded grille details
- Basic interiors
- NOT FOR THE RIVET COUNTER
- Just for basic modelling of a new region
- Powered by Hornby chassis/motor bogies (OO) or KW Trams motor bogies (HO)

The kits will include the most popular locomotives and rolling stock:
- WDS6 (Shunter)
- WDM2
- WDM3A
- WDG3A
- WDP4
- WDG4
- WDP4D
- WDG4D
- WAM4
- WAG5
- WAP4
- WAG7
- WAP7
- WAG9
- Guard's Coach
- Sleeper Coach
- General Coach
- AC 2-Tier Coach
- AC 3-Tier Coach
- BCNA Covered Box Wagon
- BTPN Oil Tanker
- BVZC Brake Van

Kits will be rolled out on a monthly basis.

Would anyone be interested? Yes? No? Any other suggestions??

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Hi there,

I would have thought that for anything Alco, EMD or GE based, it would be better to use H0 scale in order that the bogies of American or Australian diesel models can be used. Even dirt cheap 'blue box' Athearn models give perfectly good mechanisms and the bogies should be "ready to run"!

I hope this helps.

I've been to Sri Lanka and travelled by train there and although the system is very interesting, I already have too many projects on the go, sorry.

I certainly would like a H0 scale 'Sentinel' though!

Cheers,

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

H0 scale 'Sentinel'

I assume you mean the railcar. It is something I am considering for 3D printing, as I have a side drawing of one , and ends were pretty standad so should be able to work those out. The drawing is for a rigid body but one photo shows one with the articulated cab end. The narrow gauge one also looks interesting.

I personally would prefer people to model 5ft 6in gauge in 1/100 scale(3mm/ft and 15mm wargaming) as track gauge is correct. Finding small mechanisms is not that difficult for diesels , or could ask  Mark from Locos n Stuff to create a 3D printed motor bogie.

8 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi there,

I would have thought that for anything Alco, EMD or GE based, it would be better to use H0 scale in order that the bogies of American or Australian diesel models can be used. Even dirt cheap 'blue box' Athearn models give perfectly good mechanisms and the bogies should be "ready to run"!

I hope this helps.

I've been to Sri Lanka and travelled by train there and although the system is very interesting, I already have too many projects on the go, sorry.

I certainly would like a H0 scale 'Sentinel' though!

Cheers,

John.

At the end of the day it's customer preference. I already supply models to 3 people who model the Indian Railways circa 1940-1980 in 1:76 scale. Some do it on 22mm gauge track, and others do it on 16.5mm gauge track because they can live with the compromise.

My personal range of Indian Railway kits is in 1:87 scale and they're designed in order to take KW Trams bogies or be easily modifed to accept other drive systems. So it is something that satisfies two types of customers. I am also working with a group in Australian who modify HO scale drives to P4 gauge and the correct wheelbase etc. This will be a third option for my customers who can have a drop in custom built drive.

Regarding the Sri Lankan Railways, it's a stunningly beautiful system and one that I'd love to visit. Are you referring to the Sentinel Railcar? If yes, then I've actually got scale drawings for it and I am going to reproduce it in N, HO and OO.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I personally would prefer people to model 5ft 6in gauge in 1/100 scale(3mm/ft and 15mm wargaming) as track gauge is correct. Finding small mechanisms is not that difficult for diesels , or could ask  Mark from Locos n Stuff to create a 3D printed motor bogie.

This was my initial train of thought (pun intended), but 1:100 scale brings up new issues, whislt getting a motorized bogie for a diesel locomotive/DMU/DEMU is easy, problems arise when trying to source a good mechanism for steam locomotives. Electrics pose another problem because there's no suitable pantographs. Also sourcing other spares becomes a little difficult. Aftarll nothing everything can be 3D printed.

It was all quickly confirmed and canned after I ran multiple polls and no one was in favour of 1:100 scale.

I've not only run this poll on RMweb, but our team members have run polls in other forums and on many groups and pages on facebook. The answer to Indian Railway modelling is 1:87 scale on 16.5mm gauge track. Surprisngly there's a fair few who are perfectly fine with 1:76 scale on 16.5mm gauge track also. In third place was 1:160 scale on 9mm gauge track. So the people did speak up....thankfully!

Its a chicken and egg situation. If you don't produce the models in a particular scale, no-one will will buy them. For traditional modelling, it is difficult to justify offering models in scales which might not sell, but for 3D printing I can offer models in virtually any scale. Finding suitable chassis can be dfficult but not impossible and if people had thought that way 40 years ago OO9 would not have grown the way it did on the back introduction of r2r N gauge.

The trouble with polls is that there is no way of proving they are actually that accurate, unless you can force everyone to cast their vote. In many ways the introdution of crowd funding is far more accurate as people have to commit to pay. Again not 100% , as many may wellbuy once a model has been released.

14 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

What sort of Sentinel do you have in mind? We do kits for the 4wh DH and CP 0-6-0DH in 1:87 scale.

Thank you!

I am some sort of stupid as I didn't realise that you did the latter!

Yes, the (CP) 0-6-0DH is very close indeed to the Sri Lankan version (it may even be identical!?) - it is certainly fine for me.

As soon as I have some funds available, I'll be in touch.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We do quite a few kits in 1:87 scale now, latest was for Hunslet 0-6-0/0-4-0DH (kit builds either) but I don't think any of these were supplied to India or Sri Lanka. Might be worth noting that Hunslet built a batch of 0-8-0DH on 5'6" gauge for India and we do have this in 4mm scale at least.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

We do quite a few kits in 1:87 scale now, latest was for Hunslet 0-6-0/0-4-0DH (kit builds either) but I don't think any of these were supplied to India or Sri Lanka. Might be worth noting that Hunslet built a batch of 0-8-0DH on 5'6" gauge for India and we do have this in 4mm scale at least.

Do you have a product code, link or something for the CP 0-6-0DH?? We will be producing some Sri Lankan models too and we'll happily link your products when we advertise. It will probably tempt people into modelling other railways.

• RMweb Premium

We don't have product codes and it's not listed on our website, I need to do something about this. We originally produced the kit to special order from Portugal but there has been a lot of interest (and sales) from there recently - must have been some publicity somewhere. 

On 13/03/2019 at 13:44, Michael Edge said:

We don't have product codes and it's not listed on our website, I need to do something about this. We originally produced the kit to special order from Portugal but there has been a lot of interest (and sales) from there recently - must have been some publicity somewhere. 

When you do get down to product codes and a website please get in touch. I think there's a lot of Hunslet/Bagnall shunters around the world and hence their popularity.

Cheers!

• RMweb Premium

We have no plans to use any product codes but the website does need some attention (when I get time), for now this is the list of 1:87 kits available:

YE Taurus 0-8-0DH (as running in Spain)

RH 165DS 0-4-0DM or DE

Sentinel 4wh DH

Sentinel 0-6-0DH (CP version)

LMS/WD/FS 0-6-0DE (can be built as BR 12023-32, WD or FS)

Hunslet Twin Disc DH (can be built as a 50T 0-6-0 or 35T 0-4-0)

All these have been produced to special order, not all that many sales apart from the Spanish Taurus which is one of our best selling kits.

We were in contact last year with some modellers in Sri Lanka to produce a kit for their Hunslet 0-6-0s (HE 713/675 et seq.), we said we would go ahead if they could get at least 12 orders but they have only got to 5. I have all the Hunslet drawings for this loco.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

If you can find any more potential buyers we'll go ahead with the Sri Lankan Hunslet.

Let's see, I'm currently designing and selling a range of Indian Railway kits. I've completed the NG range and now I am moving onto the BG and MG ranges. Once complete I'll move onto the Sri Lankan Railway kits and we can figure out what to do then.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, jhb171achil said:

I'd love to have a model of a YP and a YG.....

We're actually working on a YP and YG kit in HO scale (to run on 12mm gauge track).

If you're really interested then that's a good thing for us 

Cheers

• Like 1

Just now, MGR Hooper! said:

We're actually working on a YP and YG kit in HO scale (to run on 12mm gauge track).

If you're really interested then that's a good thing for us 

Cheers

Are you aware of any suitable rolling stock kits to match?

I'd be looking at a small rural terminus in the 1970s....