Kernow Model Rail Centre to open a brand new model railway shop in Guildford, Surrey

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

GWR was doing live lobsters from Cornwall to a London restaurant by HST. Surely pasties from Cornwall to Guildford (change at Reading) by IET should be a doddle? Could then be the first model shop with a buffet. (CJL)

Ah but Kernows would need to bring up proper Kernow job pasties from across the bridge...…...then they would have to survive the stretch to Reading by 800. probably be disintegrated by the time they arrived.:diablo_mini: 

Edited by Mallard60022

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Nearest best ones are In Plymouth matey. Dewdeny's; nothing beats them.http://ivordewdney.co.uk/      Change at Reading or go the long way round via Southhampton and Salisbury :pleasantry:

Well !   IF you want pies rather than pasties (heresy to Kernow, of course) then one get off at Reading and walk to "Sweeny Todds" - the best pie shop I know.

There, Kernow can sell pasties and pies  -  they'll make a fortune.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Well !   IF you want pies rather than pasties (heresy to Kernow, of course) then one get off at Reading and walk to "Sweeny Todds" - the best pie shop I know.

There, Kernow can sell pasties and pies  -  they'll make a fortune.

Thanks for that Phil. I had forgotten about Sweeny Todds, I used to go there often many years ago. I must make another visit. 

It was there and grandma Buggins at Blackwater for the best burgers. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks for that Phil. I had forgotten about Sweeny Todds, I used to go there often many years ago. I must make another visit. 

It was there and grandma Buggins at Blackwater for the best burgers. 

Roy

Used to go to "the pie shop" quite frequently when SWMBO worked in Reading. Favourite lunchtime venue for just about all the offices in Castle Street.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Is Dorking Model Centre still trading in West Street?

Yes it is as drove past it yesterday on way back from Guildford . Last time I was in there this year it had some railway items but mainly plastic kits.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Strange that they don't seem to have a phone number for the Guildford shop, had to ring Camborne to confirm if they were open tomorrow, and the person I spoke to had no idea what the in-store special offers were, as if they are things I need I'd rush there tomorrow on my way to work, if not then I'd go in the week on a day off which is more convenient.  Also there's obvious questions for the first time visitor like parking (seems like a single yellow line outside?)

Several people have asked similar on facebook to no response.  I know they are probably busy with opening week but surely that's the time you should be most aware of people with questions?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ah but Kernows would need to bring up proper Kernow job pasties from across the bridge...…...then they would have to survive the stretch to Reading by 800. probably be disintegrated by the time they arrived.:diablo_mini: 

I once heard it said that the test of a good pasty is

it should be capable of being dropped down a mineshaft

and remain in one piece when it hits the bottom!!

• Funny 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

no idea what the in-store special offers were, as if they are things I need I'd rush there tomorrow on my way to work, if not then I'd go in the week on a day off which is more convenient.  Also there's obvious questions for the first time visitor like parking (seems like a single yellow line outside?)

The offers are briefly shown in the video Phil and I did, did you miss that? Parking has been covered at various points in the topic too.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The offers are briefly shown in the video Phil and I did, did you miss that? Parking has been covered at various points in the topic too.

Yes I did, I was browsing at work inbetween customers (thank you heavy rain) and didn't have time to read the whole thread in detail, have now watched the video and caught some glimpses of about half the offers.  I see comments about parking, let's hope I pick a quiet time to visit then.

As for pasties, which I saw mentioned elsewhere, there is a West Cornwall Pasty Co hut on platform 2 of Guildford station - annoyingly on the times I am there I usually have 6 minutes between trains for my connection and just not quite enough time to run over and get one without risking missing my train.

• Friendly/supportive 1