Kernow Model Rail Centre to open a brand new model railway shop in Guildford, Surrey

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2019 at 08:54, Joseph_Pestell said:

Croydon itself, yes, less affluent. But easily accessible from a wide range of affluent places and a far bigger demographic generally - probably 1M plus within a 10km radius.

Mmm, I suspect there are more modellers in rural Surrey than in central London, and Croydon is actually a bit of a pain to get to, particularly by car. So yes, i don’t doubt there would be more people within x distance of Croydon, but not potential customers IMO. One presumes they’ve done their research. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Mmm, I suspect there are more modellers in rural Surrey than in central London, and Croydon is actually a bit of a pain to get to, particularly by car. So yes, i don’t doubt there would be more people within x distance of Croydon, but not potential customers IMO. One presumes they’ve done their research. 

I live closer to Croydon than Guildford but the latter is easier to get to by train or car. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a resident of nearby Farnborough this is great news.

Coming from Sheffield, where model shops were seemingly on every corner, the lack of them in this area has always puzzled me!

Tom.  

38 minutes ago, TomE said:

Coming from Sheffield, where model shops were seemingly on every corner, the lack of them in this area has always puzzled me!

Tom.  

Nail on the head there ....... model shops WERE seemingly on every corner - but the world's changed unfortunately !

I wish Kernow had chosen to reopen the late-lamented Hobbytimes of West Wickham ( over the border in Kent ) ? ... I wouldn't begrudge the name change !

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 12:15, TomE said:

Tom.  

Alton Model Centre is not very far from Farnborough. 

• RMweb Premium

Come North , Come North .

Although  Glasgow hosts Model Rail Scotland it hasn’t got a model shop in the league of Kernow/ Rails etc . Got to be an opening there 

• 3 weeks later...

I do wish Kernow every success with this project, it is only 10 miles from my home.  Never having visited the Camborne shop, I cannot say whether the range stocked will be a match for Paul at Alton though.  My only concern would be the demise of two other Model Railway shops in Guildford, Antics and another short lived establishment, in relatively recent times.  And the location is unlikely to attract passing trade.  Nevertheless it is likely to become my model shop of choice and I hope it is a success.

• RMweb Premium

The Camborne shop is extremely well stocked and contains a remarkable amount in a relatively modest space.  Of particular note is the Locomotive Room wherein locos and units are displayed openly in glass cases rather than having to ask for a box to be opened.  If the same model (pun intended) is used at Guildford then I sincerely hope that the reputation of the business will generate what passing casual trade might lack.  

In all honesty how many folk passing by would ever actually enter a model railway shop?  Impulse purchases of food, drink, even clothing and items for the home might be a regular occurrence.  But impulse purchases of small trains?  Even Thomas the Tank Engine for Timmy's birthday is usually thought about first before going shopping.

I plan to be at the Guildford shop on the opening afternoon; employment elsewhere means I cannot manage the morning.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I drove past the shop yesterday, but couldn't stop (as they say), no parking there, (double yellow lines). I also passed the nearest public parking places and they are not far to walk for the fit types in nice weather. Anyone with disability may find that an issue though, unless they can be dropped off and collected later. Stoke Road is the best part of a mile long and more or less the shop is in the middle. My brief glimpse as I passed by, I saw lot of box front pictures of locos. Above, the shop name is still for "Pedal Pusher Cycles", yet to be changed.

I also hope it is a great success and I will visit it, but I would question the physical location, especially for the less able folk, no doubt influenced by financial considerations of business rates outside the city centre. Not ideal by any means, Footfall ( sorry) not a major consideration here methinks!

Tod

I have been looking at parking and other travel arrangements. York Road multi-storey car park is very close and is £1.30 per hour Mon-Sat and £1.50 for 3 hours on Sunday. It appears that the Spectrum Leisure Centre car park about a mile from the shop is only available for park and ride on Mondays to Fridays, not at the weekend, but the bus stops Mon-Fri very close to the shop. The other Park & Ride services also operate on Saturdays and the buses go to the town centre, which is not a very long walk from the shop. The Merrow Park & Ride bus Mon-Sat (number 300 every 15 minutes) stops by the library, which is not far from the shop. Or, park at Waitrose and do some shopping there, making sure to spend at least £10. Most of the on-street parking nearby seems to be permit holders only, so of no use.

5 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I have been looking at parking and other travel arrangements. York Road multi-storey car park is very close and is £1.30 per hour Mon-Sat and £1.50 for 3 hours on Sunday. It appears that the Spectrum Leisure Centre car park about a mile from the shop is only available for park and ride on Mondays to Fridays, not at the weekend, but the bus stops Mon-Fri very close to the shop. The other Park & Ride services also operate on Saturdays and the buses go to the town centre, which is not a very long walk from the shop. The Merrow Park & Ride bus Mon-Sat (number 300 every 15 minutes) stops by the library, which is not far from the shop. Or, park at Waitrose and do some shopping there, making sure to spend at least £10. Most of the on-street parking nearby seems to be permit holders only, so of no use.

Very helpful thanks. I've just downloaded the bus route map from The Friary Bus Station and it looks like the best options for me are 3, 34 and 35 services. They all go up and hopefully back along Stoke road. I usually park in the Bedford Road mutli-storey, just round the corner from Friary B.S. My duff foot can manage that. If all else fails, a taxi ride is another option, especially if I'm loaded down with goodies!

Tod

• Like 1

• Moderators

Opening Day is next Wednesday the 1st May. Phil and I will be there along with Steve Flint and Peco plus Bachmann so we look forward to seeing visitors there. How are we all going to fit in? The big variable for us coming down is getting round the M40 to M3 bit of the M25 - we may be some time!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Opening Day is next Wednesday the 1st May. Phil and I will be there along with Steve Flint and Peco plus Bachmann so we look forward to seeing visitors there. How are we all going to fit in? The big variable for us coming down is getting round the M40 to M3 bit of the M25 - we may be some time!

Use the A34?

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Use the A34?

The Oxford stretch at that time of the day normally scuppers that. Maybe we'll just charter a helicopter.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Maybe we'll just charter a helicopter.

This is starting to sound like an old Milk Tray advert, Phil and Andy parachuting in with ‘Kernowburys Milk T-anke-ray?’

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2019 at 15:57, SweenyTod1 said:

Very helpful thanks. I've just downloaded the bus route map from The Friary Bus Station and it looks like the best options for me are 3, 34 and 35 services. They all go up and hopefully back along Stoke road. I usually park in the Bedford Road mutli-storey, just round the corner from Friary B.S. My duff foot can manage that. If all else fails, a taxi ride is another option, especially if I'm loaded down with goodies!

Why not just park in York Road multi-storey, the walk to the shop is comparable to Bedford Road to the bus station. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Expect five lanes of solid traffic both ways passing Heathrow on the M25.

• Agree 3