Kernow Model Rail Centre to open a brand new model railway shop in Guildford, Surrey

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Expect five lanes of solid traffic both ways passing Heathrow on the M25.

Agreed, I used to have to go to Richmond several times a week some years ago.

This is reminding me of the BR inspectors of the 1960s who would visit stations by chauffeur-driven cars rather than use the train... Especially when visiting stations set to be closed (lest they provide a justification for their remaining open!!! :P )...

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Sofitel Heathrow T5 overnight

Chickened out of the M25 lottery; booked a hotel in Guildford. They haven't got a helipad though.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Some of us have to do the M25 with grim regularity.

As a general rule, be off it (regardless which part of it you are on) between M23 and M1 from 6am-9am, 3.30pm - 7pm.

You can guarantee a traffic jam east bound upto the A3 any time of day or night (even at 2-3am), how far towards Watford it goes depends on just about anything. In the other direction its the same from the M1 south.

fortunately this isnt an issue for the D600’s, but MAN diesel engines in trucks it is.

i left my home near the M23 once for Heathrow at 8.30am, and still missed my 1pm flight.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It seems to be a pop up shop, they haven't even plastered the walls.

They be gone in a fortnight!

Mike.

Why bother when you're going to cover the walls with shelving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Dust.

Insulation.

Quality craftsmanship.

Presumably you don't bother with underframe detail, why bother when you're going to cover it with a body?!

Mikke.

Sorry, forgot the tongue in cheek icon!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Opening Day tomorrow!

Come and see me and Phil if you can.

I am, if this darned plane ever takes off!

Really looking forward to it and have unbelievable luck that the two places I live are within a few miles of Kernow’s two shops :-) My wallet and wife may not be quite so happy. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

I have never seen a model shop this busy ever! Unbelievable! 

Great stock levels and some good walk-in bargains too. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I made it by lunchtime as planned. Not that lunch was a likely event for those in red shirts. I had to wait briefly before even being able to get in. Which actually wasn’t a surprise. 

The newly-assembled “Guildford Team” was paraded with Mr. Trerise Jnr in charge. Some of the Camborne team were there of course. Chris, Sam, Hayley and possibly others I didn’t see. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming, the style exactly what we have come to expect from Camborne. 

I managed a chat with both Peco and Bachmann delegations and the RMweb/Warner crew who had had another long drive from base after a weekend in Taunton. 

Shelves were emptying but being restocked quickly. Staff were wearing a groove on the stairs collecting items from the stock room. And yes there was a bit of a wait to get around and - eventually -to pay and depart. 

Guildford is readily accessible by rail from a wide area so there should be plenty of catchment and hopefully a steady and building level of business. 

As with Camborne and despite first-day crowds nothing was too much trouble. 

Full marks for taking the plunge arguably against the trend and for spreading the “Kernow style” farther afield. It’s just a shame there’s no pasty shop nearby. Though you never know what the future might bring! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I too had a visit today and was very impressed. I often visit the Cambourne shop and somehow Chris and his team seem to have taken the same feeling you get in the Cambourne shop and transplant it in a brand-new shop in Guildford. First rate.

As Andy says above, a huge amount of stock, and equal amount of visitors and some cracking bargains for the opening event.

I had a good chat with the Bachmann and Peco reps and a brief chat with our own Mr York. Oh, and I spent some money (and yes I have told the wife).

Roy

• Like 2

• Moderators

An excellent day with the Kernow team yesterday. Phil gives us a guided tour, knocks some boxes over and chats to some of the first customers.

• Like 9