Kernow Model Rail Centre to open a brand new model railway shop in Guildford, Surrey

• RMweb Gold

Gosh this was busy today.

its not every day you get to visit a new model shop, I decided on a 20 mile trip down the A3, past the site of the just recently closed Mick Charles Models near Ewell, and as a relative newcomer to the area, 6 years, my options for a shop have been very limited, Norwood Junction models gone, nothing in Croydon, Sutton, Wimbledon Epsom.. despite having substantial and credible model railway clubs. The opening times, parking and travel for Tooting are somewhat difficult.

Once on the A3, 20 minutes to Guildford, and 1 mile before the exit the road is stopped.. completely, surely this isnt the traffic jam for the shop ? Turns out after 10 mins its an incident with a broken down car, and once off the off ramp, its a 2-3 minute drive straight to the shop.. the location for the A3 is well chosen. As I drove by, I headed for the Waitrose car park, £1.50 for 90 mins, I saw give away signs as I passed at least a half dozen individuals with Hornby Magazine or Gaugemaster bags.. this was the place, alright.

After parking, refuelling, the basics are covered, the shop has a newsagent, chippy and a pub as company, I ventured in. So its a model shop, well stocked and well laid out, as I entered the door it was busy... very busy, at least 30-40 people buzzing about, 6 staff in Red uniform, Simon K from Hornby and Ben from Heljan.

Its got everything a good shop should have, all the accessories, coaches and wagons, plus all Kernows own commission wagons.. but at the back of the shop the locos.. well theres well over 200 different locos in illuminated glass cabinets to see, arranged by Vendor, Type and Railway, LMS Shelf, LNER shelf etc. In the corner theres a shelf each dedicated to the super powers of the LNER, LMS, Southern & GWR.. I’m mean this corner is the loco shed ! Its really all there, I got to spy the new Large Logo blue weathered commission 47 of particular interest, this is really well done.

I got Bens ear from Heljan, on display was a sample of the new 86, unpainted, theres a lot of detail on this, particularly at the chassis/bogie level. I did challenge the use of the Cranked couplings on many models which Ive found tend to be too low, Apparently Ben has a handle on this. New class 07’s are on the way. A sample of the class 27 with tablet recess was there, an O class 37, he did tease theres two announcements to come, one quite soon. But the 86 does look really nice when it comes to detail, the shape is captured very well. I did offer my suggestion as a cool celeb livery, which has already been researched.

Onto the Hornby corner, Simon was there, with samples of the B2, its heavy, simon pointed out its a diecast body, as are the Rustons... gosh thats got a small motor. Also on display was an early EP LMS brake van, an Excellent choice and really well detailed. Simon also packed in the 61xx in 4 liveries GWR, Great Western, BR lined Green and BR Black.. these really do look nice, the paint finish was very good. I had a long chat with Simon, when he pulled out the rabbit from the hat and put boxed, painted, finished Bulleid suburbans in my hands... These are Excellant... i mean they just are. Same finish as the Maunsell’s, with window lining representing the wooden grab rails in the corridors, no smoking stickers.. I just looked at him and said “these are going to sell out”. Both Southern Green and BR green were there... these are well overdue, glazing is nicely flush to the window edges, these are good.  Finally new examples of LNER teaks, Simon says 2 years to design/manufacturer with nearly 100 print processes to create the effect, these are exactly the finish you’d expect.

Finally, and I’ll update my D600 post, Chris sorted my change from D603 to D600, which came home with me today, my 90 minutes parking was nearly up. We talked on the D600’s blue shading, apparently this took a lot to get right, and in my view they have. He did say they are down to their last box of D600 in plain Green, so if your still thinking if it, don't think too long. As I headed back home, it was still packed with probably 30+ people, When was the last time you saw a model shop that busy ? I realised I’d completely run out of time to buy what I went for ! So i’ll be back again, probably taking my daughter who’s completely mad on model railways with me this weekend.

its great to have a shop.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

.......  my options for a shop have been very limited, Norwood Junction models gone, nothing in Croydon, Sutton, Wimbledon Epsom.. ....

Isn't Masters of Epsom still open at Tattenham Corner ??????

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

Isn't Masters of Epsom still open at Tattenham Corner ??????

Not since 2016.

I think it was online only for a while, but that web links not working either.

http://www.mastersofepsomonline.co.uk/

closest Ive got is Addlestone, Tooting, Waterloo or Sidcup... none of which are ideal. 

Today I managed Guildford in 45 mins, door to door very easy drive... turn off A3 onto Stokes road 2mins and your there... 3.5 hour round trip, inc 90 mins at the shop and something to eat.

Tooting is geographically closest  but try driving round Morden, Mitcham or Croydon and then try parking at Tooting in less than 45 minutes. Similarly the train is only every 30 mins and takes 45 mins too.

whilst it is a dump, Croydon would be ideal, as an interchange / junction on many routes and modes its easy to get to, which is why it is a dump.. its full of logistics businesses and companies making benefit of people passing through.

As it is, with the size of the range in store, I’ll take whats on offer, Guildford it is, Ive spent a fair bit with Kernow in the past, chance to pick it up instore is worthwhile.

My local area has many clubs (i’ll admit ive been lethargic about joining), but theres Epsom & Ewell, Carshalton&Sutton, Croydon and Wimbledon, though latterly only Epsom and Croydon seem to be active with events, Epsoms show was last weekend.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

Good luck to Kernow with this. But I'm surprised that they set up on a high street rather than somewhere out of town with easier parking, lower rents and space for mail order processing.

Presumably mail order will still be run from Camborne.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

But I'm surprised that they set up on a high street rather than somewhere out of town with easier parking,

It isn't in the town centre but on a main road into the town. Evidence showed that there's plenty of parking for up to 2 hours on nearby side streets if there's no space in the pull-ins off the road a few doors down.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks a very nice shop, well stocked in just about everything you could need .look at all that stock. That’s a hefty investment in working capital.  Deeply jealous as no such beast exits any more in Glasgow .  Great to see a model shop like that opening up . I wish it every success. 

Edited by Legend
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not since 2016.

I think it was online only for a while, but that web links not working either.

http://www.mastersofepsomonline.co.uk/

closest Ive got is Addlestone, Tooting, Waterloo or Sidcup... none of which are ideal. 

Yes the Masters former shop at Tattenham Corner is now a wine merchant.  Roxley Models in Bookham is still going.

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It isn't in the town centre but on a main road into the town. Evidence showed that there's plenty of parking for up to 2 hours on nearby side streets if there's no space in the pull-ins off the road a few doors down.

There is also a multi storey car park just over 5 minutes walk away that we used as we were in the area for over two hours, Guildford London Road is  reasonably close by and two very good pubs just down the road (The Kings Head and the Stoke opposite that pub).

Edited by roundhouse
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally got there today having been on the North Sea on Wednesday morning when the shop opened - rather difficult getting there as the luggage had to be taken home of course and yesterday was restocking the fridge and larder.   But no worse for all that as I had teh chance of a long chat with Joel from Dapol (the Pressed Steel SPC aka Class 121 looks pretty good) and a magazine editing person from another part of the Model Railway printed press.

The shop was quite busy during the morning but dropped off a bit later in the day.  Also it was interesting to see the efficiency of the re-stockimg operation from main base in Camborne with stuff arriving to fill gaps on shelves that had been created yesterday - a well managed operation there with Sam 'counting them all in'.  The display arrangements are good too so another example of a new shop in the model railway field presenting what's available to the customer in a very professional manner - as I would expect of Chris and his team.

I wish the business every success in its new venture and hope taht it will turn out in the way they hope for Chris and his team.  And already being lined up for a book launch so I believe ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Had a great time at the new Kernow shop today - thanks Chris for inviting Revolution along.  

IMG_8844.jpg.914d41f8ebc266bae9d14a1504ba6176.jpg

The new Kernow branch is a proper shop with a layout in the window, lots of stock on show and a great team of friendly and helpful staff.

IMG_8851.jpg.54a1f61b668cc75c9c9bf578989bb0ce.jpgIMG_8845.jpg.a74942e37cf549d5c68d8fd9a2b701ed.jpg

Good to see Joel from Dapol, Ian and Kevin from Gaugemaster and of course some journalistic colleagues from the model Railway press.

And great to meet The Stationmaster too!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Parking in the Stoke Pub's carp ark is open to anyone as it's pay-and-display, I hear!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Parking in the Stoke Pub's carp ark is open to anyone as it's pay-and-display, I hear!

I understand the Kernow management might well be discussing the use of a pub car park with the management of such a hostelry. (I'm unsure of the name of the hostelry although I'm led to believe that it does some good grub).

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2019 at 09:16, DY444 said:

Yes the Masters former shop at Tattenham Corner is now a wine merchant.  Roxley Models in Bookham is still going.

Is Dorking Model Centre still trading in West Street?

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget Scale Rail in Horley for those a little further east. Good to have a new shop like this of course especially with their range.

It is closed as see below....sorry.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Incorrect web information taken as gopsel....

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes, Thursday Friday and Saturday, but appears to be plastic kits; ok for paints and stuff I suppose?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

He was certainly still going when I went to a wedding not far from there, late last year. For rail, he only stocks Hornby though (good stock) but is mainly a kit stockist, and mostly war stuff.

I suspect Kernow will hit his trade hard.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don' forget Scale Rail in Horley for those a little further east. Good to have a new shop like this of course especially with their range.

Phil

Regrettably, no longer.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/horley-bookshop-model-train-centre-15613008

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Thanks 1

GWR was doing live lobsters from Cornwall to a London restaurant by HST. Surely pasties from Cornwall to Guildford (change at Reading) by IET should be a doddle? Could then be the first model shop with a buffet. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1