bauxite paint

Some people use this https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-primer-red-500ml. Don't be put off by the colour it shows on the page, it is much, much browner.

The wagon on the left is Bachmann, the other is a Parkside kit using Halfords red primer.

20190309_130723_resized.jpg

Edited by JZ
Add photo
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

Guest teacupteacup

If you plan on weathering the bauxite stock, then the afore mentioned Halfords rattle can is perfect for the job

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2019 at 12:59, JZ said:

Some people use this https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-primer-red-500ml. Don't be put off by the colour it shows on the page, it is much, much browner.

The wagon on the left is Bachmann, the other is a Parkside kit using Halfords red primer.

20190309_130723_resized.jpg

That looks good. I'm about to build some Parkside vans, and wondered whether it was better to paint the parts on the sprue or whether it was easy enough to do so once it was built? How did you do yours JZ?

I personally tend not to get too hung up on the right shade of bauxite, as with the kind of treatment wagons got in the BR steam era, it's often hard to tell what colour they are anyway. In fact, when producing several of the same wagon, I actually go for slightly different shades to represent different levels of weathering, exposure to sun, time since last repaint etc.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JohnR said:

That looks good. I'm about to build some Parkside vans, and wondered whether it was better to paint the parts on the sprue or whether it was easy enough to do so once it was built? How did you do yours JZ?

Definitely once it is built.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Definitely when built.

I am moving away from UK modelling, I blame Brexit:D, into US 3 foot and have had discussions about 'boxcar red' in a couple of groups and generally the consensus is either Tamiya NATO brown, Tamiya red-brown or red primer as alternatives to, often overpriced, 'proper' colours.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I personally tend not to get too hung up on the right shade of bauxite, as with the kind of treatment wagons got in the BR steam era, it's often hard to tell what colour they are anyway. In fact, when producing several of the same wagon, I actually go for slightly different shades to represent different levels of weathering, exposure to sun, time since last repaint etc.

I also do this, and with my grey unfitted minerals.  My memory of steam era goods stock, backed up by photos, is that no two were the same, although most were similar.  Therefore, one or two are left as supplied, fresh from paint shop, not unusual in 50s when the new and Ideal Wagon Committee refurbished stock was appearing in volume, a few are very heavily weathered, and the majority given a weathering washover.  As the weathering mix varies slightly over time according to what's been put in it and the degree of thinning, this means that subtly different shades of weathering are applied to sublty (sometimes not so subtly) different shades of grey or bauxite, and this is exactly the effect I want.

I have a general weathering mix which is separate from the mineral wagon mix, which is much darker; coal dust is not the same colour as brake block dust.  The mineral mix is used for weathering locos as well.  My weathering in general is not what you'd call an art form, but I am happy with the overall impression.  By the way, wagons were pretty filthy in the steam era in general, a situation still in evidence in the 70s and 80s, so this goes beyond the BR steam era.  A few private owners were looked after and kept clean, but this was against the general run of things.

• Agree 1