To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

• RMweb Gold

A strange visitor appeared today: a descendant of No 1. and just about contemporaneous with the last gasps of the line... ...not that the GWR would have been prepared to risk a new loco on such rickety permanent way!

83061466-5E81-4487-901D-7AC5209A1622.jpeg.92b2f9c00c7f6946515b7dc329456361.jpeg

• Like 14

Hello Simon,

Well done, I'm excited to see all the effort you're making to conserve this iconic layout. It is the background on my laptop as constant inspiration.

I can't make Bishops Castle, so I have my fingers crossed for Cardiff in October.

Please keep posting photos.

• RMweb Premium

There are a couple of videos on YT Featuring Lydham Heath at Doncaster. Can’t post a link on this b..... iPad but a search should find them. I think it’s by DCC125 or similar. There are several different videos of the show, many in multiple parts.

Izzy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Didn't the other loco get steamed over the weekend or was it just the tender engine?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

There are a couple of videos on YT Featuring Lydham Heath at Doncaster. Can’t post a link on this b..... iPad but a search should find them. I think it’s by DCC125 or similar. There are several different videos of the show, many in multiple parts.

Izzy

18:20 - Tankie was in use, too!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some photos from the festival thread:

Lydham Heath.jpg

Gee, thanks, Phil: taken during the minute when we were touching up a soldered joint!

A more typical example of inactivity:

IU200208-DSC_3918.jpg

Mr. Edward Ian seems to have captured a busy moment:

IMG_6419.JPG

(Later in the day, those AJs were removed!)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2020 at 10:28, Regularity said:

My favourite comment all weekend, "I like this. It doesn't have lots of trains rushing everywhere."

At Biggleswade, a viewer commented on how having so much space around track made for a relaxing atmosphere.

Also had a visit from the layout's builder, who approved of the backscene, and showed me the right place to put the lighting support pole, opening up the view.

F9E8713B-B79E-46F1-A6C7-1C3FFBC8FE9F.jpeg.34089c69150fdbdf7578b60378e3d3f9.jpeg

Also, some very nice comments here about the isolated, rural atmosphere. "Plus there isn’t one figure on the whole layout! Yet this works. It really does look like a neglected rural railway where nothing much happens and very few people travel."

There is a driver in Tankie, and I have drivers and firemen on order from Modelu. I may run to one figure otherwise, but I am not so sure...

Edited by Regularity
Added photo.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Delighted that you've resurrected this layout and are sympathetically improving it.  I agree that the lack of figures actually adds to the scene and the sense of isolation.  Perhaps a solitary horse watching the proceedings from the field at the front of the layout would make a nice addition.

I'm only exasperated by the fact that your bringing the layout to Cardiff on the one year that I wont be attending the show!  I'm exhibiting Sherton Abbas the same weekend in Uckfield!

Looking forward to seeing the layout in the "flesh" at some point!

BW

Dave

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Perhaps a solitary horse watching the proceedings from the field at the front of the layout would make a nice addition.

Hmm. Need to find an S scale "Eyeore".

4 hours ago, Regularity said:

Also had a visit from the layout's builder, who approved of the backscene, and showed me the right place to put the lighting support pole

............and where exactly did he tell you to stick it? :-)

Great to see the layout getting so many nice comments, less really is more.

Geoff

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2020 at 12:05, wenlock said:

...Perhaps a solitary horse watching the proceedings from the field at the front of the layout would make a nice addition...

More likely munching away on what meagre grass there is, totally ignoring everything that's going on around it.

12 hours ago, wenlock said:

I wonder if that nice Mr Butler would scan you a suitable nag:)

I've asked him about animals.

His reply was that, unlike humans, you can't get animals to stay still. However, he was going to come up with a cunning plan.

• Like 1

A thought here. What about converting the locos to run off battery by radio control? If the locos don't need clean track then the sidings and the rest can be given a good rust colouring which I presume they had. I wonder if the BCR mainline was as shiny as the model has to be for electrical connectivity as well. I'm experimenting with this stuff for buses and on a 1:32 scale narrow gauge engine I'm building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, whart57 said:

A thought here. What about converting the locos to run off battery by radio control? If the locos don't need clean track then the sidings and the rest can be given a good rust colouring which I presume they had. I wonder if the BCR mainline was as shiny as the model has to be for electrical connectivity as well. I'm experimenting with this stuff for buses and on a 1:32 scale narrow gauge engine I'm building.

Who says I don’t have all the kit in hand, but not installed, to do this? (That said, straight DCC is more likely to happen right now. Tankie is all metal, and the body acts as a faraday cage with respect to radio signals.)

As for the rail heads... With two trains a day, the running lines were reasonably polished, and from photos it appears that the sidings were, too.

DEFC6349-F779-453E-9D61-2FD5BC220AA8.jpeg.6026ff568d3852f36c69733f107c0df4.jpeg

(Photo from my own collection.)

Although of course you are welcome to produce your own model, using what you think happened rather than photographic evidence as a guide.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1