I am thinking of using curved points to lengthen fiddle yard loops on an 00 layout.

I seem to remember seeing comments that suggested Peco curved points were better than Hornby ones?

Has anyone personal experience of these two types of curved points or of any other manufacturers that offer points of similar radii?

Many thanks 

UK Setrack curved points are best avoided IME - as commented on in Model Rail last year they have a curved rail that aligns with a straight rail results in the gauge briefly narrowing below 16,5mm, this usually shows up as a loco slowing as it passes through so increasing the chance of stalling on the dead frog but in some instances causing derailments.

I have both Hornby and Peco set track curved points on my 00 gauge layout and they all work well.  I did have trouble with the Hornby ones which were the first ones I bought, but, the problems disappeared once they  (and the approach tracks) were laid correctly.  If you make sure that the points are laid flat and level, I doubt you will have a problem - but the angle of the approach curve can also create a problem, try to make as straight as possible and no sharper than the surve in the point itself.  Make sure there is no kink at the rail joiners.  I suspect that the Peco ones would have problems if not laid well, but I had learned my lesson by the time I got those!

That said, if you still have problems, you may find that a thin piece of plastic attached along the check rail on the inner curve (making the flangeway narrower) may help.

I hope this helps your decision making.

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

Generally, I advise against the use of the Setrack curved points. They may, just, be OK if you are running older locos and stock with big wheel flanges. But not more recent stuff with finer wheels.

Some careful layout design should enable you not to use them.

My locos have all been bought new, within the last ten years and range from 0-6-0 tanks to a 9F.  I also run classes 37 47 and 55 diesels.

I have also just started an N gauge layout that hs two, Peco, set track curved points (space limitations precluded the electrofrog versions as they take up more space).  They are also are running well with two, new, A3 locomotives.

Edited by HLT 0109

My locos range from a Hornby Black 5 from 2002 to a Bachmann Stanier Mogul from 2017.  None of those had any problem, ever, with a Peco Setrack curved point that I used to have at one end of the fiddle yard on my roundy-roundy.  I had more trouble with a Streamline short radius turnout on the scenic section, which used to trip up the Black 5 - i.e. the oldest loco in the stable - on a regular basis until I relaid it.

Update: come to think, I don't know exactly which year my Bachmann unrebuilt Royal Scot dates from.  I suspect it's about the same age as the Black 5, though.

• RMweb Gold

I think I remember someone having problems when propelling coaching stock through crossovers formed from Peco Streamline OO/HO curved points. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Edited by Harlequin