Hornby Bulleid Pacific Brake Rods

Simon Kohler recommended a Loctite glue when we spoke to him many years ago on exactly this topic, but I can't remember which number Loctite he said. I do recall I could not find that particular one in any of our Australian hardware shops. It could be worth sending a query to him through Hornby.

My own solution is a bit more laborious but works almost permanently: that is to drill a #76 hole centrally through the pins on the brake rods, and insert Peco track pins through from behind the hangers. The track pins are a good interference fit into the rods, and are cut off flush with the outside of the rods. They can be additionally secured with a drop of superglue if desired.

I hope the photos make this a little clearer, in spite of being a little out of focus.

38319621081_509eaa8c16_b.jpg
Bulleid Brake Rigging Mod - 3 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

37604161104_3b5be26450_b.jpg
Bulleid Brake Rigging Mod - 4 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI I Emailed Hornby about this and within about two hours I had a guy called John on the phone.  To cut a long conversation short he told me that Hornby avoid all the supposedly top name superglues like Loctite, Bostik and Gorilla Glue - they use the stuff that you get 3 tubes for £1 at Poundland.  I went and bought 6 tubes like you do and they appear to have worked.  3 days at York will probably be the proof of the pudding but they seem OK.

Thanks fr the replies though - one from a million miles away and one from where I was born - near to 75A.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...