Wolverhampton West Park - A run down city terminus

turtlebah

2 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Birmingham Moor Street would also be worth a look?

You might be able to use the Goods Shed Upper Levek in your plans? 

Best

Dan 

Thanks Dan. I’d earmarked something along those lines for my warehouse in front of the fiddle yard.

Was lucky enough to see Birmingham Moor St exhibited at Derby last year. Awesome layout - although the high level goods shed isn’t a huge feature (the wagon lifts are amazing).

• 1 month later...

A quick update - platforms 2 and 3 have got there first coat of paving grime and platform 1 has the edging gaps filled in. I’ve also started work on the point rodding. Although the wills kits are a little over-scale i think they come-up ok with a bit of weathering.02EECBAF-BB04-4944-B96A-283502096965.jpeg.ca822cd9ec7022d76dec26aa2fc74f6a.jpeg

A standard class 5 waits in platform 3 with a parcel train for Shrewsbury, whilst a Hymek sits in platform 2 with a stopping service to Birmingham Snow Hill.

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 14

• 1 month later...

Finally got the track and points all wired up and a fair bit of point rodding done.

A standard class 5 arrives with a stopping service from Swansea Victoria.

Class 122 arrives with a local branch train from Stourbridge Town whilst a Standard Class 4 shunts parcel vans out of the centre road.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very nice.  With my own interest in modelling Low Level (in its latter day parcel depot guise) but not really having enough space to do it justice I too have considered a similar might have been scenario of a separate terminus for local services, combining elements of Low Level, Moor Street and Minories.  Look forward to seeing this progress.

• Agree 1

Very much liking this project so far.  It sounds very credible and looks authentic, although you really need a class 122 bubble car instead of your headcode-boxed class 121, as the latter didn't really venture into the Midlands until the 1980s.  

Whilst on DMUs you have the version of the Derby built class 108 with roof top headcode boxes.  These weren't so common in the Midlands apart from the delivery of M51416 / M51417 and their trailers M56271 / M56272 to Ryecroft (Walsall), and sisters M51418 / M51419 and M56273 / M56274 to Monument Lane all in February 1960.  I have see a photo of one of the Ryecroft allocation on a Walsall-Dudley service in nearly new condition and sparkly white roof domes, but I believe they very swiftly migrated to the northwest and were all Edge Hill units by 1966.

One DMU car which would definately accent your layout would be one of the DPUs built for the WR with the end gangways. These were reallocated to the LMR in 1963 but were a very important part of traffic in the Black Country. There is a photo of one hauling a maroon BG on a pigeon special, as well as a fantastic colour shot of one leaving Wolverhampton Low Level with a mixture of NPCCS including an ex Palethorpes sausage van

Looking forward to more of this project.    

• Informative/Useful 2

I am guessing you might have Simon Dewey's "Wolverhampton railways in colour", because there are two (out of all of them !!) photos which are really enticing. An April 1962 shot at Priestfield Jn with pannier 3962 drifting into the Dudley line platform hauling a single coach with the 12:7pm train from Wolverhampton Low Level. I suspect the coach may have been one of the batch of brake thirds which were converted to auto trailers, but obviously not running as an auto train because I don't think 3692 was fitted with the gear.

The shot on the adjacent page is at Bilston (West) showing the 1:57pm train from Low Level to Stourbridge Jn just coming to a stand. This train hauled by 4140 (bunker first) is three maroon non corridors, the leading two appear to be GW designs with possibly a Mk1 non corridor on the rear.         

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Very nice.  With my own interest in modelling Low Level (in its latter day parcel depot guise) but not really having enough space to do it justice I too have considered a similar might have been scenario of a separate terminus for local services, combining elements of Low Level, Moor Street and Minories.  Look forward to seeing this progress.

I'd love to do a full scale Wolverhampton Low Level, but sadly i have very little space. This plan models purely the platforms and allows a 3 coach engine from the fiddle yard although the platforms could hold 5 coaches, which aims to give a nice air that once upon a time the terminus hosted a more intensive service.

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

I am guessing you might have Simon Dewey's "Wolverhampton railways in colour", because there are two (out of all of them !!) photos which are really enticing. An April 1962 shot at Priestfield Jn with pannier 3962 drifting into the Dudley line platform hauling a single coach with the 12:7pm train from Wolverhampton Low Level. I suspect the coach may have been one of the batch of brake thirds which were converted to auto trailers, but obviously not running as an auto train because I don't think 3692 was fitted with the gear.

The shot on the adjacent page is at Bilston (West) showing the 1:57pm train from Low Level to Stourbridge Jn just coming to a stand. This train hauled by 4140 (bunker first) is three maroon non corridors, the leading two appear to be GW designs with possibly a Mk1 non corridor on the rear.         

I actually haven't got a copy of Simon Dewey's "Wolverhampton Railways in Colour", but rest assured there is one on the way now. Great shout - thanks Covkid.

4 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

In addition i must say i've really enjoyed your work on Low Level thus far. I'm not brave enough to give EM or P4 a go just yet. Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses too.

Very nice, but I am not sure how a Swansea Victoria train would terminate at Wolverhampton. The Swansea Vic trains usually terminated at Shrewsbury if they went onto Wolverhampton they would be reversing at Shrewsbury. I would suggest a more likely service would be a Shrewsbury  to Wolverhampton (via Wellington) stopper or semi fast. In the mid 1960s there was a regular Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton semi fast which I travelled on ( living near Wellington) this could have anything on the front ( all usually Shrewsbury allocated locos) including County 4-6-0 and Jubilee 4-6-0s. I spent my teenage years train spotting at Wellington, Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton so am familiar with the train services of the area.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like it too. Interesting how many stations the GWR built in Wolverhampton because they had another at Heath Town over the other side of town doing much the same thing.  Unless I adopt the back story of it being in the Stourport/Kidderminster area!

Paul.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Norton961 said:

Very nice, but I am not sure how a Swansea Victoria train would terminate at Wolverhampton. The Swansea Vic trains usually terminated at Shrewsbury if they went onto Wolverhampton they would be reversing at Shrewsbury. I would suggest a more likely service would be a Shrewsbury  to Wolverhampton (via Wellington) stopper or semi fast. In the mid 1960s there was a regular Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton semi fast which I travelled on ( living near Wellington) this could have anything on the front ( all usually Shrewsbury allocated locos) including County 4-6-0 and Jubilee 4-6-0s. I spent my teenage years train spotting at Wellington, Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton so am familiar with the train services of the area.

David

It’s a fair cop, David. I just love the mid-wales line so in a very imaginary world I extended it somewhat. Good to know that Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton semi-fasts included Jubilee’s as i’ve Just acquired one.

• Agree 1

From October 1961 Shrewsbury acquired a number of Jubilees from Bristol Barrow Rd shed  Eire, Bengal,  Shovel, Rooke, Galatea and Kempenfelt and they were used on all sorts of trains from the Paddington to Birkenhead expresses, Central Wales to Swansea down to the stopping trains between Shrewsbury and Stafford as well as the services to Wolverhampton. I was pulled by Kempenfelt on the semi fast to Wolverhampton. There were also stoppers from Wellington to Wolverhampton using Wellingtons locos (Pannier tanks, ex GW 2-6-2s ).

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Norton961 said:

From October 1961 Shrewsbury acquired a number of Jubilees from Bristol Barrow Rd shed  Eire, Bengal,  Shovel, Rooke, Galatea and Kempenfelt and they were used on all sorts of trains from the Paddington to Birkenhead expresses, Central Wales to Swansea down to the stopping trains between Shrewsbury and Stafford as well as the services to Wolverhampton. I was pulled by Kempenfelt on the semi fast to Wolverhampton. There were also stoppers from Wellington to Wolverhampton using Wellingtons locos (Pannier tanks, ex GW 2-6-2s ).

David

This is all good stuff. Can you remember anything on the coaching stock formations?

Regarding some of the Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton and Wellington to Wolverhampton services had some interesting motive power.

the Wellington to Wolverhampton were mainly DMU but some services used steam using Wellingtons ex GW 2-6-2s such as 4130, 4154 and 4158 as well as some of Wellingtons pannier tanks, 3605 seen on this service. The Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton services had either Halls and Counties as well as some of Shrewsbury’s Jubilees ( 45660 Rooke, 45572 Eire being observed) but the Halls could be any sheds locos inc 6970 of Oxford.

in 1965 with the moving to the LM region Oxley became responsible for the workings so Black 5s such as 44681, 44853 as well as Oxleys Britannia 70053 ( allocated for the summer to work summer holiday trains) 

The Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton services used a mixture of ex GW and ex LMS corridor coaches.

In 1964 there was a Chester to Wolverhampton service and 73097 was observed on the service.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2019 at 13:11, turtlebah said:

I actually haven't got a copy of Simon Dewey's "Wolverhampton Railways in Colour", but rest assured there is one on the way now. Great shout - thanks Covkid.

There’s also a sequel ‘Wolverhampton’s Railways Revisited’ which has further photos.  There are some more recent including the teams but quite a lot of older ones too.  (I have both!)

Paul.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

There’s also a sequel ‘Wolverhampton’s Railways Revisited’ which has further photos.  There are some more recent including the teams but quite a lot of older ones too.  (I have both!)

Paul.

The sequel is on it’s way too. I was a bit put off by the more modern picture on the front, but i’m sure there will be some useful content within.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Decided to tackle the complex point rodding at the station mouth near the signal box. The box in situ is temporary with plans to scratch building something a bit more in keeping with a small terminus further down the line.

A Small Prairie shunts vans out of the centre road.

347166F5-6406-460C-95FA-0A14A3A66B8C.jpeg.c742a78e37bac760dfad3fe7b3daddcb.jpeg

The one rod that doesn’t go anywhere will be for the catch point on the centre road, which will be purely cosmetic when i get round to installing it.

9A153CA1-710B-4A73-85D7-0BFF7E810AF6.jpeg.a9b3af09e1daa5fc556b18c619391719.jpeg

Also managed to get all of the excellent Lanarkshire Model buffer beams made up, sprayed and installed in the station.

077719F7-1E89-428C-AA86-2786CB8C2451.jpeg.31a5b89746ab77312fa4889a6a1c2b05.jpeg

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 15