Wolverhampton West Park - A run down city terminus

turtlebah

16 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Your grass work looks very effective, a nice choice of subtle shades you have used. 

Spent a nice half hour looking through all your video’s, which are fantastic. You have some really nice stock and the weathering is spot on.

Kind words - I can't take all the credit for the weathering though.  Lots of the stock has been weathered by TMC.  I'm still learning the dark arts in that respect.

I've enjoyed doing the grass work, although I've noticed that the grass strands can look a little shiny in the wrong light.  I'm wondering whether some weather powders might do the trick blown over the top to dampen things down a little!?

Nice progress with the overall roof.

Thought that you might like to see this old 1958 timetable poster from Stourbridge Junction. As there are various trains during the day to Wolverhampton L L (which of course would continue to West Park to terminate).  The poster belongs to my Dad, Dennis (or Jim as he likes to be known).  He was great friends with a chap called Bill Evans who was the Stationmaster at Stourbridge Junction during the 1970-1980’s. 

4BEF465C-4853-4D54-86B5-EA0876CA6E63.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Nice progress with the overall roof.

Thought that you might like to see this old 1958 timetable poster from Stourbridge Junction. As there are various trains during the day to Wolverhampton L L (which of course would continue to West Park to terminate).  The poster belongs to my Dad, Dennis (or Jim as he likes to be known).  He was great friends with a chap called Bill Evans who was the Stationmaster at Stourbridge Junction during the 1970-1980’s. 

4BEF465C-4853-4D54-86B5-EA0876CA6E63.jpeg

Really great resource thanks, Melangoose.  Nice hourly (ish) service to Wolverhampton, which at West Park will likely be in the hands of Class 121 / 122 railcar or a 14xx and auto coach.

Some other interesting services on there provide inspiration.  Maybe I've not read the timetable correctly, but was there really a Stourbridge Junction to Cardiff General service?  Need to find some pictures of motive power etc.  I'm assuming this was a through service from London, but maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, turtlebah said:

was there really a Stourbridge Junction to Cardiff General service? 

Yes!

Until the big changes in ‘67 on completion of New St, there was a 2 hourly Snow Hill Cardiff via Hereford.  In the very early days the 3 car GWR flying bananas were for this service.   I think that Swindon Intercity units were used for a while and Cross Country units after that.

All went in ‘67 when it became not much more than a suburban service to Worcester.

In my little world they were diverted to Low Level using the Crewe Cardiff type sets (so I can have Hymeks and Cromptons).

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Spelling
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Yes!

Until the big changes in ‘67 on completion of New St, there was a 2 hourly Snow Hill Cardiff via Hereford.  In the very early days the 3 car GWR flying bananas were for this service.   I think that Swindon Intercity units were used for a while and Cross Country units after that.

All went in ‘67 when it became not much more than a suburban service to Worcester.

In my little world they were diverted to Low Level using the Crewe Cardiff type sets (so I can have Hymeks and Comptons).

Paul.

That's another service I can add on to the timetable in that case!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2020 at 05:26, danstercivicman said:

Looks good- a very important type and glad to see it made in OO :) 

With the forthcoming Manor class it’ll almost complete the set.  It really is a wonderful / expensive time to be modelling western region steam.

If I had one request of the manufacturers I’d love a Class 120 Swindon in OO.

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 1

Warehouse bridge now has it's first lick of paint - a base coat of engineers blue.  Next up is the light stone mortar wash before some more general weathering will be applied (soot marks, water marks etc).

Abergavenny Castle is leaving platform 1 light engine after bringing in a semi fast service from Oxford.  The collet 0-6-0 is on station pilot duty today.

IMG_7118.JPEG.33958fca7afc2b2c460097b7d70eeee3.JPEG

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 9

59 minutes ago, turtlebah said:

Warehouse bridge now has it's first lick of paint - a base coat of engineers blue.  Next up is the light stone mortar wash before some more general weathering will be applied (soot marks, water marks etc).

Abergavenny Castle is leaving platform 1 light engine after bringing in a semi fast service from Oxford.  The collet 0-6-0 is on station pilot duty today.

Great stuff :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turtlebah said:

I really like how the platform ramp extends under the parapet and has the shadow cast - so reminiscent of many platform ends.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I really like how the platform ramp extends under the parapet and has the shadow cast - so reminiscent of many platform ends.

Thanks.  Aside from copying a couple of prototype locations it was designed to make the platforms feel longer and give more of an urban feel to the layout.

• Like 1

Starting to mock up scenery on the embankment just to get a feel for what it might look like.  Had a good tidy up of the train room after Christmas to hopefully make it easier to get stuck into modelling.

A standard class 4 tank pulls away from West Park with a stopper service bound for Stafford.

1600214380_IMG_7241touse.JPEG.31957fbb6ffe85d8f165d4e56e2a9e8b.JPEG

• Like 10

Congratulations and well done with the roof in particular. I shall be watching this thread with particular interest since I have lived in Wolverhampton longer than anywhere else (although not now.)

Whilst I love to see beautiful BCT buses in their primrose & prussian blue colours from my native Birmingham, I think it might be more appropriate if you were to have a yellow & green Guy Arab in Wolves colours. Britbus did them and I think there was a Roe bodied one available too. A destination blind for Whitmore Reans (service no. 13?) would make it perfect!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, TerryD1471 said:

Congratulations and well done with the roof in particular. I shall be watching this thread with particular interest since I have lived in Wolverhampton longer than anywhere else (although not now.)

Whilst I love to see beautiful BCT buses in their primrose & prussian blue colours from my native Birmingham, I think it might be more appropriate if you were to have a yellow & green Guy Arab in Wolves colours. Britbus did them and I think there was a Roe bodied one available too. A destination blind for Whitmore Reans (service no. 13?) would make it perfect!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Terry.  Appreciate the comments.  I knew in my heart the bus wasn’t quite right, but couldn’t find any decent research to point me in the right direction so thanks for the insights.

Having a quick scan it looks like the yellow and green Guy Arabs are a little difficult to come by, but hopefully eBay will be able to sort me out.  Any other insights along similar lines would be more than welcome!

16 hours ago, turtlebah said:

Thanks Terry.  Appreciate the comments.  I knew in my heart the bus wasn’t quite right, but couldn’t find any decent research to point me in the right direction so thanks for the insights.

Having a quick scan it looks like the yellow and green Guy Arabs are a little difficult to come by, but hopefully eBay will be able to sort me out.  Any other insights along similar lines would be more than welcome!

A locally built and liveried Guy Arab would certainly help place the model in the Wolverhampton area. There is a Roe bodied Corgi example currently on eBay although the price is ambitious compared to sold listings in the last couple of months (and there were a few).

A legitimate alternative might be a Midland Red D9. BMMO ran services in the Wolverhampton area and had a depot at Bilston Street then Dudley Road: http://midlandred.net/depots/index.php?depot=wn

Corgi D9s are readily available and can be bought for sensible money.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Melangoose said:

The layout is coming on well.  With each set of pictures of your progress, more atmosphere is created.  
I am still thinking about retaining walls for the bridge on my home layout (you are putting me to shame).

Thanks, Nigel.  Being honest the retaining walls were something I was dreading doing.  Arches have not been my friend in the past, but setting the layout in engineers blue helps hide a few of the imperfections around the edges.

Retaining walls aside, I've not seen an update on Wyvern Road in a while.  How's progress?