Wolverhampton West Park - A run down city terminus

turtlebah

3 hours ago, 5 C said:

A locally built and liveried Guy Arab would certainly help place the model in the Wolverhampton area. There is a Roe bodied Corgi example currently on eBay although the price is ambitious compared to sold listings in the last couple of months (and there were a few).

A legitimate alternative might be a Midland Red D9. BMMO ran services in the Wolverhampton area and had a depot at Bilston Street then Dudley Road: http://midlandred.net/depots/index.php?depot=wn

Corgi D9s are readily available and can be bought for sensible money.

More bus help!  Much appreciated.  Hopefully i can find something based on the advice above for a reasonable price.

Todays activity, after giving the retaining walls a once over with the airbrush to get rid of any brush stroke marks, is to get to work on Waterloo Road bridge.

Hoping to finish it in Shell form this evening.  It might take a little longer to detail given the amount of rivet strips that need to be cut.

IMG_7253.JPEG.986a7c799041f0bb911c74d2b50b3f84.JPEG

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, turtlebah said:

More bus help!  Much appreciated.  Hopefully i can find something based on the advice above for a reasonable price.

Its always worth waiting for the right bus to come along, sometimes they come in two's

• Funny 3

The first section of the bridge is complete.  I couldn’t manage to do the station side as well as I ran out of styrene tee sections so had to order some more.  Probably a good excuse to leave West Park for a day or two and get on with some true scale DIY jobs around the house.

....or maybe I could get cracking on the warehouse, station or Great Western hotel!?

EF73F9E5-4AAA-40CE-A4A1-8B8FBEB46CA3.jpeg.754183c8cc1c7068bf43e3b4343b5163.jpeg

663DB9C7-48A4-48CA-8642-F3596606B50A.jpeg.bb292c800d8d1187cc931408cfa85037.jpeg

• Like 19

17 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

This looks great! 

Thanks Dan.  It’s slowly getting there.  I’m sure once work starts again in Jan the modelling will have to take a bit of a back seat.

By the way, full of admiration for your forthcoming Class 126 attempt.  I’ve often mused over the silver fox models (I’d love a class 120 for West Park).  Never had the bottle to give scratch building / kit bashing on stock a go.  Will be watching your efforts with anticipation (and hoping for a bit of inspiration).  Good luck.

• Like 2

I've just caught up with the full thread.

I originally found the layout from Youtube videos,  but I have really enjoyed seeing the layout developing.

Please keep up the good work, and I will be keeping up to date with the layout

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Liam_uk said:

I've just caught up with the full thread.

I originally found the layout from YouTube videos,  but I have really enjoyed seeing the layout developing.

Please keep up the good work, and I will be keeping up to date with the layout

Thanks, Liam.

It's been a while since I've posted a new vid, but as you'll see, I really wanted to make some progress on the layout buildings.  Hopefully I'll be able to do a running session soon.  I was keen to get some sprat and winkle couplings fitted and the un-couplers wired up so i could do a proper session, but that might have to wait a while.

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 2

Finally some trains running...

A local service for Shrewsbury waits in platform 2.  The vans for the daily warehouse goods have arrived and are waiting to be marshalled in between passenger services.

14EB4AF5-38EF-44AC-A804-28DCD25A7C94.jpeg.0174ea6c71dc33fbf1ffb66953c85219.jpeg

Some footage of the Shrewsbury service departing.  By now the vans have been marshalled into the warehouse sidings.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, turtlebah said:

Work has got super busy again and so progress on West Park has been a little slow of late.  I did manage to crack on with the detailing work on Waterloo Road bridge.

The abutment looks loads better and I’ve made a start on the painstaking process of adding the rivet transfers.  The archer transfers are awesome!  It’s going to be at least a couple of evenings to get the whole bridge done. :D

391DAB94-ACA9-45E9-ABD8-90E1F52DC653.jpeg.addd789a570d33789abe64eea7c2bad6.jpeg

1D385B7E-F511-4C7C-8832-619A3B4D0464.jpeg.93628c182f14c8eb7c870c9136776c6e.jpeg

I seem to have come to this layout a bit late but how are you producing those rivets in your plastikard? They look so real.

Paul R

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2021 at 16:20, pwr said:

I seem to have come to this layout a bit late but how are you producing those rivets in your plastikard? They look so real.

Paul R

Hi Paul - apologies, work and family life have been all encompassing recently and so i missed your message.

The white rivets are simply slaters plasticard rivet sheets cut out.  The black rivets that i'm working through at present are from Archers.  Both are an excellent products, but the Archers transfers allow for more flexibility even if they take an age to apply.

Edited by turtlebah

10 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Interesting to see this, especially the historical origins of the project, as a similar fictitious location concept is in my new layout, but being a large loft project the scope is different. 

I’d love a loft layout!  One day I hope to have the space to attempt one of the through stations on the Wolverhampton - Birmingham route.

You should start a thread if you haven’t already!  Dead keen to see your plans given your increased scope.

11 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Like the Station Running Board propped against the lamp post, has a real run down look about it.  Keep up the good work and I will look forward to your Video in due course.

Desperately need to get those arches airbrushed.  Been really bugging me that they’re still in Wills plasticised red!

1 hour ago, turtlebah said:

I’d love a loft layout!  One day I hope to have the space to attempt one of the through stations on the Wolverhampton - Birmingham route.

You should start a thread if you haven’t already!  Dead keen to see your plans given your increased scope.

There's a very small blog I can't even remember the name I think it's Midland Misadventure. 

My loft space is very challenging nothing like a free space. Loft timber structure everywhere.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

There's a very small blog I can't even remember the name I think it's Midland Misadventure. 

My loft space is very challenging nothing like a free space. Loft timber structure everywhere.

Just stumbled across your blog, that is quite a baseboard structure you’ve got going around all of those beams!  Super work.  Must have been very fiddly.

2 minutes ago, turtlebah said:

Just stumbled across your blog, that is quite a baseboard structure you’ve got going around all of those beams!  Super work.  Must have been very fiddly.

It's the offset from truss to truss that is so bizarre. The house must be anything up to 2 feet out of square.

• Like 1