Abingdon Exhibition

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Please find details I have cut and pasted from Abingdon Model Railways Website as there seemed to be no exhibition information on RMWEB 

Please checked the Abingdon Model Railways Club Site for updated information 

Layouts

Three Points7mm 

Porlock4mm / OO

Inselbahn Langeoog N + Pires  Milne

Kidmore South Yard N

Dock Green7mm

Trewithick4mm / EMG

Llanfair Caereinion4mm / OO9

Canute Road Quay4mm / OO

Ryders Green Wharf4mm / OO9

Nippon Tetsudo (new! N

Oil Drum Lane4mm / OO

Didcot ANADMRC

Manningth 

A bridge too far2mm

Foxfield Wharf N

Ilfracombe East4mm / OO9

Bridgebury Gate N

Kamiak Falls HO

Sodor4mm / OO

Traders

As usual, we will have a great selection of trader’s at the exhibition so you can stock up on all the fun bits you need for your own railway, from Tools through Trains to Trees…

JB’S Model World

Squire’s Tools

Sunningwell Command Control

Freestone Models

Ceynix Artistree

Double-O Scenics

Neil Cresswell Model Railways

Kytes Lights

Brunswick Railways Ltd

Kevin’s Trains

Cheltenham Model Centre

Exhibitors / Demonstrations

European Model Railways

Pendon Museum 

Medway Queen Preservation Society 

Didcot Railway Centre / Great Western Society

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, exet1095 said:

A date and location might be helpful...

Thanks,

Paul

Can I just point out I have no connection with the organising of the Abingdon Exhibition this coming weekend other than being the owner of a layout attending the exhibition for the first time.

On receiving the invite I just googled Abingdon Model Railway and all the information was/is on there website.

Quite easy really, something anyone can do..

Eltel 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Pete Thorpe and I will be there, showing the 'work in progress' layout, "Bridge Too Far". This layout is being built around the model of the Royal Albert Bridge that was created for our Brunel Tribute layout built for the Great Model Railway Challenge final. Pete has now completed the bridge that he originally intended to complete within the 36 hours available.

RoyalAlbert.jpg.e99632f9ec318776b30ac718ce7c853c.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pictures of Oil Drum Lane which is all ready for Saturday.

Really looking forward to the exhibition which I have never been to before.

05ACEB53-0D95-4F82-A1C3-ECC2FFAD2969.jpeg

D59E00DE-C5B5-4D72-8123-3F10ADB47005.jpeg

The reason I asked for a date and a location is if it is in the title, then you can see if it’s worth looking at the thread.

A lot of past exhibitions come up, and until someone has invented a time machine, it is not worth trying to see if you can get to them. Abingdon is just down the road. Sadly, I cannot make it that weekend, but again, thanks to the OP for providing the information.

just as an aside, Google is not always your friend either, putting up previous years ahead of the current one. 

Paul 

• RMweb Premium

Can’t say google has ever failed me searching for exhibitions details.

“A date and location might be helpfull..”

Your request could have been more polite, I am happy to assist anyone but I felt your comment was sarcastic 

2 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Your request could have been more polite, I am happy to assist anyone but I felt your comment was sarcastic 

Thanks for publishing the info

6 hours ago, ELTEL said:

I can assure you that it was not.

• RMweb Premium

A couple more photographs of Oil Drum Lane which will be at the Abingdon Model Railway Exhibition this Saturday 16th March 

Photographs courtesy of Andy York 

29DD16CC-1C25-487D-BEBF-873C505E5278.jpeg

F57BF2C8-BA44-4C7F-9154-80ADDC4A169A.jpeg

On 11/03/2019 at 21:11, nickwood said:

Terry, very good of you to act as Abingdon MRC's publicity Officer. I hope they appreciate it :D

Very much so! :)   It's such a good exhibition that we ended up with two threads and a calendar entry!  ;)

Thanks for all the extra photos in here.  Hope to see some of you at the show on Saturday.  I shall be variously operating "Didcot A"  and/or the Club Stand in the afternoon according to the schedule...  come and say "hi" if you are attending.  :-)

Got there early, good job as it was getting quite busy after a couple of hours.  Being a lone modeller normally living in the USA and modelling P4 and O-16.5 I had forgotten how neat a good N gauge layout can look, Bridgebury Gate very worthy of mention.  Kamiak Falls US HO looked good and was running well, and just like the real ones I see in Atlanta running very slowly.....  Met Chaz, who I have an RMWeb On30 relationship with and his Dock Green.  But my favourite, maybe because of the gauge was Trewithick in EM.

Saw a few Heljan L&B 009 locos, and although big for 009 looked tiny to me.

I went this morning. I have to admit that having been to Abingdon Club shows in the past (albeit not for 4 or so years) my expectations were high based on those experiences.

So to start with the positives, the parking was good, nice and close, and at the time we got there space was plentiful. Squires being there meant I could top up on some modelling essentials which was planned, but sadly they were my main positives. 

Overall I was actually pretty disappointed, yes there were one or two nice layouts, but nothing with the real "wow" factor apart from maybe the Lynton and Barnstaple layout which I have seen at other shows. I found the venue very poky and the whole layout of the show rather disjointed. For what there was there, in my humble opinion it wasn't worth the £8 adult admission, I was finished in less than an hour.

Roy

I had a great day out to this show, so thank you to the club for putting this one.

Travelling by public transport from London has the added bonus of the travelling from either Paddington or Marylebone creating a circular trip ( comments on the merits of seating in a IEP or Turbostar on another forum please). The X3 bus runs every 10 minutes from Oxford to Abingdon and then a short walk to the venue. Some direction signs would be nice and more importantly, some signs showing where the exhibition entrance was would also be useful.

The exhibition itself was what you would expect from a medium sized show. There was a good range of layouts, although a large OO roundy-roundy layout would have improved the mix. I have noticed however that many model railway clubs are now replacing their 16 x 8 foot layouts with 30 x 16 foot layouts that are more expensive to invite and more difficult to accommodate in shows like this. There were also many small layouts, although well done do lack the staying power of larger layouts.  I can see where Roy in the post above is coming from. 

Nick