Planned Farish release schedule April 2019 - January 2020

lindi

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

They tried transition era stuff early on and found take-up slow and/or poor. The Type B tanks eventually made it though...

That’s only true to a point. The class 21/29 was proposed early on, but didn’t make the cut. The 35T tanks (for which I was one of the original proposers and promoters) struggled initially, but just prior to the order book closing uptake swelled and in actually fact the final order tally was very good according to Mike, and the project more than washed its face. Sturgeon made the grade well and went to tooling quickly. The Cemflos are in tooling which indicates uptake is at least acceptable. And the 35T class A tanks are in the pipeline now too.

All of these prototypes originate at least in the transition era.

In any case, for me it’s academic. Transition era has been/is well served by Farish and to an extent Dapol, so I’m more than happy for other eras to now get a similar support.

i just wish sometimes Farish and Dapol could be as quick with production as some of Revolution, accurascale, etc., models have been. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It was Feb 2013 when they were first announced so it will be well over seven years, when the the MK2f's are finally released. To be honest I am getting really pissed off with these constantly being delayed. I thought that the waiting might finally be over when Bachmann released the release dates, but now it seems that they have moved the winning line again. They are such an important part of modelling the 80s and it's not as if there are any alternatives unless you want to pay daft prices for old Farish ones on Ebay.

Totally agree Montyburns! I was already feeling like that seeing they'd been pushed back to February after an already long 7 year wait!

The OO guys have had theirs out for months aswell as Hornby doing they're variety of the Mark 2F, cheaper version too...talk about spoilt for choice!

I really wish other manufacturers would get into N Gauge & give us even half the variety of what the OO guys get...and get them into production. They say a layout is never complete, but when it comes to waiting for rolling stock that was announced 7 years ago and still waiting while they keep moving the goal posts and the price, feels like it's taking the Mick.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, 1977joey said:

I really wish other manufacturers would get into N Gauge & give us even half the variety of what the OO guys get...

I get the impression that many believe the N gauge market is not large enough and, of course, it is fragmented by various genres, eras, geographies and railway companies. I guess it would be silly to produce a large range that simply sat on retailers shelves. But there is an opportunity to grow the market that is often not attempted.

However many have tried and either failed or been unsuccessful to establish themselves; Hornby Minitrix, Hornby Arnold (Brighton Belle), DJM, and even Hatton's are apparently finding getting interest in their debut product (an LMS Garrett) difficult and KR didn't get sufficient orders for an N gauge GT3. 

There are alternatives new routes to market like commissioning (as the NGS have done in the past) and crowdfunding (where Revolution Trains have found success). And others like CJM have produced niche products to satisfy their loyal customer base or to nurture a small sector like Sonic Models with restricted distribution and marketing.

Alternatively N gauge enthusiasts have found the need to undertake some constructive modelling (either making kits, bashing RTR or even scratch-building) to get what they want. And those who can't, or are unwilling to, often take to wish-listing. It's a funny old hobby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, grahame said:

And those who can't, or are unwilling to, often take to wish-listing. It's a funny old hobby.

Or model a non-British prototype—several of which are well-supported.

And as far as British prototypes are concerned, remember Kato are on the way...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, scottystitch said:

i just wish sometimes Farish and Dapol could be as quick with production as some of Revolution, accurascale, etc., models have been. 

The funny thing is, over the past five years that RevolutioN have been in existence, the ‘delivered-to-market’ duration from Farish/Bachmann has become significantly longer and more protracted, just at a time when they are starting to encounter increased competition.... it’s almost like they’re willing to concede market share to the likes of RevolutioN....

By contrast, over the same time frame, RevolutioN have really ‘dialled-in’ their announcement to delivery process - look at how fast new projects are getting turned around....

.... take the KUA nuclear flask wagon; just announced last week, order book opened this week, with EP1 expected around Christmas!.... yeah, sure there was R&D in the background, but six or eight weeks from announcement to EP1 is seriously quick.... that rapid delivery of a tangible prototype makes seasoned model makers like Bachmann look somewhat out of touch with the current market place.

Perhaps Bachmann simply aren’t bothered if they concede territory to ‘challenger’ model makers???!.... if Bacmann wanted out of N gauge, their current strategy would certainly enable them to slip into obscurity [with minimal protest from us lot] over the next few years....

.... will be interesting to see if in January whether Bachmann announce a new Class 90 from Farish - I think that will be the real litmus test of their long-term intentions.... only time will tell.... :blink:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Scott B said:

It is not just their product that takes ages, how long has their website been a work in progress ?

Haha, yeah, I’d overlooked that - it’s been in some kind of limbo state for about two years now :fool: !!!

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much of Farish's delays can be attributed to Colin Albright leaving Bachmann?

I believe that he's now involved with NGS, Revolution Trains(and Sonic Models(?), all of which are showing more progress than Farish's range of Mk2F coaches.

Steven B.

On 27/11/2019 at 19:23, JR_P said:

The funny thing is, over the past five years that RevolutioN have been in existence, the ‘delivered-to-market’ duration from Farish/Bachmann has become significantly longer and more protracted, just at a time when they are starting to encounter increased competition.... it’s almost like they’re willing to concede market share to the likes of RevolutioN....

By contrast, over the same time frame, RevolutioN have really ‘dialled-in’ their announcement to delivery process - look at how fast new projects are getting turned around....

.... take the KUA nuclear flask wagon; just announced last week, order book opened this week, with EP1 expected around Christmas!.... yeah, sure there was R&D in the background, but six or eight weeks from announcement to EP1 is seriously quick.... that rapid delivery of a tangible prototype makes seasoned model makers like Bachmann look somewhat out of touch with the current market place.

Perhaps Bachmann simply aren’t bothered if they concede territory to ‘challenger’ model makers???!.... if Bacmann wanted out of N gauge, their current strategy would certainly enable them to slip into obscurity [with minimal protest from us lot] over the next few years....

.... will be interesting to see if in January whether Bachmann announce a new Class 90 from Farish - I think that will be the real litmus test of their long-term intentions.... only time will tell.... :blink:

I don't think Revolution should be seen as the litmus test for delivery. I am still waiting for my class 321 s and container wagons which I paid for several years ago.  There may be reasons for this but it is not all roses.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bomag said:

I don't think Revolution should be seen as the litmus test for delivery. 

Yes, and mainly because they have a different route to market than Farish (or traditional manufacturers) do. Being crowdfunded there is a period from the announcement of a potential product while expressions of interest/pre-orders are garnered before model development is started (although some research can be carried out in this period).

1 hour ago, bigP said:

Well, January is the new catalogue time which is usually when the Bachmann and Farish products go up in price.  2018 to 2019 the Farish mk1 & mk2 stock went up 14.3% in RRP.

£42.95 is the RRP for a 2F (not including DBSO) in the 2019 catalogue.

I’m gonna guess RRP will go up about 15% again, so £49.95 for the 2Fs, except the DBSO, which I imagine will go up to £64.95.  That’s if we’re lucky.

Paul

The increase is miles and miles ahead of the inflation rate (2019 was 1.80%). If it carries on like this every year the average Joe (like me.....:blink:) won't be able to afford to keep up. I wonder how they choose the % price rise each year. 

4 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

The increase is miles and miles ahead of the inflation rate (2019 was 1.80%). If it carries on like this every year the average Joe (like me.....:blink:) won't be able to afford to keep up. I wonder how they choose the % price rise each year. 

David I know, just short of £50 RRP for a carriage is eye watering. The fact they keep being put back each year then the price rising feels really unfair. It feels the longer we have to do without the models, we're also having to pay more for the wait!

Cheers,

Mark

• Agree 1

On 30/11/2019 at 19:00, bigP said:

I’m gonna guess RRP will go up about 15% again, 

Have Farish suggested any particular level of increase, or has there been any speculation and evidence of a figure? I'm under the impression that the Chinese government's plan to double workers wages over five years (that helped fuel large price rises) has now finished. 

It will certainly be interesting to see what does happen and the actual rate applied. And any justification for it.

On 27/11/2019 at 11:05, grahame said:

I get the impression that many believe the N gauge market is not large enough and, of course, it is fragmented by various genres, eras, geographies and railway companies. I guess it would be silly to produce a large range that simply sat on retailers shelves. But there is an opportunity to grow the market that is often not attempted.

However many have tried and either failed or been unsuccessful to establish themselves; Hornby Minitrix, Hornby Arnold (Brighton Belle), DJM, and even Hatton's are apparently finding getting interest in their debut product (an LMS Garrett) difficult and KR didn't get sufficient orders for an N gauge GT3. 

There are alternatives new routes to market like commissioning (as the NGS have done in the past) and crowdfunding (where Revolution Trains have found success). And others like CJM have produced niche products to satisfy their loyal customer base or to nurture a small sector like Sonic Models with restricted distribution and marketing.

Alternatively N gauge enthusiasts have found the need to undertake some constructive modelling (either making kits, bashing RTR or even scratch-building) to get what they want. And those who can't, or are unwilling to, often take to wish-listing. It's a funny old hobby.

I think its rather unfair to say the Arnold Brighton belle was unsuccessful given there is demand for another run. Yes the blue grey one was discounted but so are many other "successful" models. They need to expand on it with something like a 2BIL if anything.

Yes there's the classic argument that there is no demand for 3rd rail stock as the one unit available was discounted. But the same thing happened with the 00 4CEP. Then came a couple of other units, then Hornby joined the party. Now there is a thriving 3rd rail scene in 00. That's a fact. If Bachmann shrunk the 2EPB I'm sure they would sell as many units as the 4CEP at least, probably more given the shorter length. 

Minitrix (british models) were around for years, I don't think that can be classed as unsuccessful, more they lost interest and discontinued it. There are MANY locomotives and items of stock available second hand so they most of sold a fair few! 

DJM, Well that had nothing to do with N. Plenty of interest in the class 17 and other projects that went for a burton.

Hatton's and KR... Well... Had they announced something like a standard 4MT 4-6-0 or something first then I'm sure orders would be more favorable. Best go for something that would compliment existing stock more widely first I would think. Like the Sonic 56xx. I'm all for exotic locomotives! I just don't think If I was starting a new venture in N I would stake my future on a Bulleid Leader to begin with... 

Edited by Mr chapman

16 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

I think its rather unfair to say the Arnold Brighton belle was unsuccessful given there is demand for another run. 

I didn't say the Brighton Belle was unsuccessful, I've said that Hornby Arnold, as a manufacturer, have been unsuccessful in establishing themselves in the British N gauge market - just the one product to date and with no intention to follow it up or expand the range. Also Hornby  Minitrix are no longer making British N gauge and are no longer in existence so have hardly been successful with regards to longevity.

16 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

5 hours ago, grahame said:

I didn't say the Brighton Belle was unsuccessful, I've said that Hornby Arnold, as a manufacturer, have been unsuccessful in establishing themselves in the British N gauge market - just the one product to date and with no intention to follow it up or expand the range. Also Hornby  Minitrix are no longer making British N gauge and are no longer in existence so have hardly been successful with regards to longevity.

I think we all expected some form of follow up - there are other models in the Hornby line up that could have lent their CADs to Arnold for more units - VEP, BIL, HAL

Who knows what could have come if those had been released in N, maybe Bachmann would be reducing their EPB 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, grahame said:

I don't think we can say that Arnold (Hornby International) has been unsuccessful in the British market. They simply have not wanted to try. The Brighton Belle was always more intende, I think, for the collectors' market, both here and on the European mainland. But I agree, if they could use the Belle as a starting point for other SR EMUs, that would be an interesting prospect.

Generally, Hornby's management of its European brands has been lacklustre.

Comparison with Minitrix UK models seems a false one. Those Minitrix models were created 50 years ago to the standards of the day. Some of them were fairly dreadful due to trying to fit small UK loco bodies onto big German chassis. There was also the issue of a compromise on scale. And Hornby did not own Minitrix. It was just a marketing partnership.

PS: I have been considering a sideline project: UK but in 1:160. Some of those Minitrix coaches and wagons could come in useful and I have started keeping an eye out for them on EBay and on secondhand stalls at exhibitions.

46 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't think we can say that Arnold (Hornby International) has been unsuccessful in the British market. They simply have not wanted to try. The Brighton Belle was always more intende, I think, for the collectors' market, both here and on the European mainland. But I agree, if they could use the Belle as a starting point for other SR EMUs, that would be an interesting prospect.

Generally, Hornby's management of its European brands has been lacklustre.

I got the impression that Arnold were happy to try and get established in the British 1:148 market, hence the Brighton Belle. But Hornby, as the parent company, were not in favour and apparently were initially unaware of the project. As Woodenhead says, many were expecting a follow up to the BB but that has never materialised.

I don't think anyone, certainly not me, is comparing the two companies but the fact remains that both Hornby Arnold and Hornby Minitrix are not currently established in the British N gauge market and do not have a range/choice of models for enthusiasts to purchase.

A lack of commitment to the British N market also goes for Peco who have effectively pulled out of producing RTR motorised items (like locos). No doubt they, as with others, feel the market is not of sufficient size or too difficult. It a shame especially as Peco were involved and instrumental in establishing the scale/gauge.

Yes, it would be nice and interesting if a range of SR/BR EMUs could be developed. The early unrefurbished 4CEP probably wasn't the best choice for Farish to start with but they are having a second bash with the Thameslink class 319 although that seems possibly a jump too far forward. I'm surprised they haven't learnt from and shrunk some of their OO/4mm offerings.

Edited by grahame