Planned Farish release schedule April 2019 - January 2020

lindi

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I think we all expected some form of follow up - there are other models in the Hornby line up that could have lent their CADs to Arnold for more units - VEP, BIL, HAL

Who knows what could have come if those had been released in N, maybe Bachmann would be reducing their EPB 

Err not the VEP thank you, the OO scale promised much but turned out to be a right dogs dinner.  It is notable to me that Hornby seem to have quietly dropped it down the back of the proverbial sofa...

Start from scratch and then upscale it to OO would be better. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

I'd rather like a SYP Class 24 but they were due in 2019.  Maybe the boat sank

Perhaps pirates are really into N gauge?  Everyone needs a hobby, and N frees up more room for machine guns and harpoons on those speedboats...

• Funny 3

After celebrity specials with Rod Stewart and Jools Holland, a large model railway magazine is going to feature Ali the Somalian Pirate King and his large transition-era layout based around Birmingham New Street. He scratchbuilt the power signal box himself and he's really into Pressed Steel DMUs.

Edited by rogerzilla

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

It gives the (probably incorrect) impression that they have effectively sidelined Farish which is a shame.

If they don't want to make something out of Farish, perhaps they could sell it off to someone who would focus on it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2020 at 09:34, John M Upton said:

It gives the (probably incorrect) impression that they have effectively sidelined Farish which is a shame.

On 19/01/2020 at 10:06, Joseph_Pestell said:

If they don't want to make something out of Farish, perhaps they could sell it off to someone who would focus on it.

Bachmann have consistently said they are committed to N Gauge and I'm not sure the Farish brand would be better off in someone else's hands personally. In any case, who out there would a) want to buy it and b) have the finances to do so? The only potential option is Hornby, and they're not exactly on a solid financial footing at the moment. Not to mention the fact N Gauge seems to be invisible out in Margate. Dapol have different priorities these days and I doubt they'd have the financial clout either. 

The current lack of Farish output is immensely frustrating, but the reasons have been stated by Bachmann and have been discussed ad infinitum on this forum. I suspect what we are seeing now is the extra capacity Bachmann have long said is coming has arrived, but has immediately been taken up by the need to produce their new Thomas range in time for Christmas. As a result, the comparatively low yield Mk.2s, 8Fs, Thompsons etc have been bumped from their scheduled production slots. Frustrating for us yes, but if TTTE sales help the long term stability of Bachmann I suppose another few months delay is ultimately a price worth paying, provided we start seeing some benefit from it. 

Tom.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Their lack of action to back it up

• Vastly improved mechanical reliability, particularly of Steam locos
  • Vastly improved mechanical design - Coreless motor/loco drive/NEXT 18 socket/Pre installed speakers etc
  • DCC Sound fitted models
  • Significantly improved prototype fidelity
  • Hughley expanded range since Farish acquisition. 
  • Retooling of existing models to accommodate sound/Next18

The initial step change in quality may well have been partly driven by competition from Dapol, but recent models such as the Class 40, C Class & Birdcage stock don't exactly look like products from a company that is no longer interested in N Gauge. 

I'm certain the will & commitment is there at Barwell. I'm sure they would like to deliver more and sooner. But I'm also certain they are being significantly restricted by the parent companies well publicised production capacity problems and now the additional demands of the TTTE licence. 

Tom.  

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, TomE said:

• Vastly improved mechanical reliability, particularly of Steam locos
  • Vastly improved mechanical design - Coreless motor/loco drive/NEXT 18 socket/Pre installed speakers etc
  • DCC Sound fitted models
  • Significantly improved prototype fidelity
  • Hughley expanded range since Farish acquisition. 
  • Retooling of existing models to accommodate sound/Next18

The initial step change in quality may well have been partly driven by competition from Dapol, but recent models such as the Class 40, C Class & Birdcage stock don't exactly look like products from a company that is no longer interested in N Gauge. 

They've certainly revamped the old Farish range and improved and innovated product over the years. But it's starting to look like they are, well, running out of steam for N gauge. 

The big, and interesting issue, is whether that is customer demand led or simply in response to other reasons and priorities (whether real or just perceived). I suspect the potential customer base is still there and maybe slowly growing, but that won't last for long if it is not sated. Those other issues need sorting quickly.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, grahame said:

Those other issues need sorting quickly.

I agree entirely. It's not a healthy place for them to be and lack of releases or continual delays just leads to the kind of speculation we have about Bachmann's commitment to N Gauge. To paraphrase, modellers abhor a Vacuum! But realistically, no model railway company is going to cut out circa 20% of their business having made a significant investment in it. 

I genuinely believe that we are suffering from a perfect storm of historic capacity problems and other commercial priorities leading to a lack of output & nothing more ominous than that. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, the new "Combined Volume" lists N gauge first... perhaps that may help in spreading awareness.

The current situation is reminiscent of the early 2000s. The arrival of Dapol on the marked prompted an upsurge in Farish releases. Since the departure of Dave Jones and the subsequent merger with Lionheart, Dapol's involvement in N gauge has decreased, meaning the need to claim prototypes is no longer so urgent. What effect Kato will have remains to be seen, although the proposed "Kato British Railways" branding suggests a range of models may be intended...

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 06:27, Stefen1988 said:

They're working on the Website. The Availability Page isn't availalble itself.

They've rebuilt the website and I actually think that the layout is much better now. The only annoying thing is that items that have been released and sold out are tagged the same way as new items that still haven't been released with "Out Of Stock". I think that they should list as yet un-released items as TBA like they did with their availability page.

• Agree 2