Was Oxford to Radley ever 4 lines?

owentherail

• RMweb Gold

It was quadruple track all the way from Hinksey North to just north of the overbridge at the north end of Radley station.  The section between Radley and Kennington Jcn, including a new signalbox at Sandford, was commissioned as quadruple track in various stages between late Summer 1939 and April/June 1940 and the stretch between Kennington Jcn and Hinksey South was opened as quadruple in June 1942 while the quadrupling between Hinksey South and Hinksey North was commissioned in August of that year.  

It was all still quadruple in 1960 and I think the quadrupling between Radley and Kennington Jcn went some time in 1964 with Sandford 'box also being closed in December that year although the track appears not to have been recovered until March 1965.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a crop from a photo taken at Radley in Mid 1964 (I think). Looking north through the road bridge the signal arm on the up loop has been removed, but the post remains. The track is still in place. You can just make out the points for the down loop behind the buffer stop

sca014.jpg.ae781a7f2638316b39e62760ef660193.jpg.

Crop of the reverse view showing signal arm removed from bracket on platform.

sca015.jpg.e9d3e2d1dcb5a2b557f90d7474adc0a3.jpg

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I remember seeing a 43xx on an Up Goods  de-railed by the trap point just on the North Side of the roadbridge. Cant remember the year but would have been between 1958 and 1964 when I had to travel the line daily, Didcot to Oxford, to and from School. Happy days -----------------------sometimes.

• Like 1