BR Freightliner Mk1 brake van

roythebus

There's a discussion going on in the FB Lost Boys group about Freightliner guards "containers" which were trialled on the rear of Freightliner trains. I remember BR Mk1 suburban brake coaches painted BR grey an labelled as Freightliner Brake Van in about 1967 or 68. 

I saw one on a train at Camden Road just after the introduction of Freightliner trains. Does anyone have any details or photos of them?

• RMweb Gold

How many were actually painted? I wonder if the BSs had propane heating that was intended for the container caboose . also I'd they have be the leading vehicle or was the handbrake considered good enough for it to be the rearmost vehicle ?

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, russ p said:

How many were actually painted? I wonder if the BSs had propane heating that was intended for the container caboose . also I'd they have be the leading vehicle or was the handbrake considered good enough for it to be the rearmost vehicle ?

Handbrake? I think it was just a valve.

Griff

5 hours ago, keefer said:

Thanks, I knew there was an old thread somewhere on here.

The BS was just for the guard to ride in before they were allowed to ride in the rear cabs of locomotives. Quite what heating the guard had in the BS is the next question!

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK the heating in the BS was propane, and by all accounts not very effective; the coaches were originally designed to be steam heated.  The guard's compartment had a 'setter' to vent air from the system and apply the brakes if needed, and to perform the brake continuity tests, and a manually operated wheel handbrake to secure the train when it was stabled and the air brakes isolated.  The handbrake is not used to control the train in the same way as a goods 'toad' brake van's on a part fitted freight, as the train is fully air braked including the BS, and braking is done by the driver on the loco.  The BS could presumably be anywhere in the consist, as the train is fully fitted and vehicles can be marshalled behind it.  

I recall only once seeing one in use, on the day that Pengam (Cardiff) Freightliner terminal opened to traffic, but they were in use for a short time after that.  I don't recall ever seeing one of the fibreglass 'container' guard's vans in use.

All passenger and NPCCS brake vehicles have a handbrake operable from inside the vehicle and air or vacuum setters.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...