Hornby Magazine Issues 142 April 2019

steve1

Had a spin through at my local mag peddler and thought it worthwhile for the compact layouts articles anyway. Turned out to be correct  :mellow: Paper quality is decent too.

Just one point though. The cover says "Four Gauges. 00, 009, 0 and N". I would question that statement. Surely 00, 0 and N are scales not gauges, i.e. 4mm, 7mm and 2mm.

steve

• RMweb Gold

I must admit this was one of the reasons I bought a copy of this month's issue (well - that and the fact that this issue seems to include a number of micro layouts - but I happen to regard this particular "micro" as rather good ...).

Huw.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steve1 said:

Had a spin through at my local mag peddler and thought it worthwhile for the compact layouts articles anyway. Turned out to be correct  :mellow: Paper quality is decent too.

Just one point though. The cover says "Four Gauges. 00, 009, 0 and N". I would question that statement. Surely 00, 0 and N are scales not gauges, i.e. 4mm, 7mm and 2mm.

steve

They are correct, OO,OO9 and N are gauges. 4mm:1ft, 7mm:1ft and 2mm:1ft are scales. (OO, EM and P4 are also gauges and they are all 4mm:1ft scale).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

They are correct, OO,OO9 and N are gauges. 4mm:1ft, 7mm:1ft and 2mm:1ft are scales. (OO, EM and P4 are also gauges and they are all 4mm:1ft scale).

I agree. But where the confusion comes in is when some people in the past and manufacturers in particular described things as OO scale. Airfix even described many of their models as HO/OO scale.

This L&Y Pug has OO Scale on the box for example.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/ho-oo-rolling-stock/saddle-tank-locomotive-p-403.html

Whilst these Afrika Korps are described as OO & HO scale.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/ho-oo-figure-sets/afrika-korps-group-p-589.html

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2019 at 12:34, Steamport Southport said:

I agree. But where the confusion comes in is when some people in the past and manufacturers in particular described things as OO scale. Airfix even described many of their models as HO/OO scale.

This L&Y Pug has OO Scale on the box for example.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/ho-oo-rolling-stock/saddle-tank-locomotive-p-403.html

Whilst these Afrika Korps are described as OO & HO scale.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/ho-oo-figure-sets/afrika-korps-group-p-589.html

Jason

There certainly were mistakes in the past and it's an easy slip to make. The HO/OO scale thing is particularly unfortunate because OO and HO are the same GAUGE but not the same scale, being respectively 1:76 or 4mm:1ft and 1:87 or 3.5mm:1ft scales. As with so many things these days, expecting it to be correct sounds like pedantry. (CJL)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dibber25 said:

There certainly were mistakes in the past and it's an easy slip to make. The HO/OO scale thing is particularly unfortunate because OO and HO are the same GAUGE but not the same scale, being respectively 1:76 or 4mm:1ft and 1:87 or 3.5mm:1ft scales. 

Yep, the same goes for N Gauge (which many these days seem [incorrectly?] to call N Scale - including Bachmann/Farish). N is the gauge (the N stands for nine which is the track gauge in millimetres) whereas the scale can vary (1:148 British, 1:150 Japanese and 1:160 European/American) all using 9mm gauge track - with Finescale 2mm:1ft being a tad over 1:152 and running on 9.42mm gauge track. And 'N/2mm' is often used as shorthand for the family of scales/gauges as they are all pretty close.

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2019 at 17:40, steve1 said:

steve

As 009 and N share the same 9mm track gauge, that's only 3 gauges.

And as 00 and 009 share the same scale, that's only 3 scales.

What's needed is a shorter term for scale/gauge combination.