Modelu figure painting first attempt

• RMweb Gold

Meet Fred, please be gentle this is my first ever attempt at painting figures.....and possibly my last attempt depending on the comments :laugh_mini:

He is potentially the driver of my Collett Goods

372787BD-D0FD-4994-A64D-E71963934ABC.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Fred looks as good as any ready painted figures and certainly better than the bulk packs from China.  However, the fact that the locomotive looks like it's about to take off, distracts me from admiring your workmanship.

You just need to paint Fred's fireman now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Dungrange said:

However, the fact that the locomotive looks like it's about to take off, distracts me from admiring your workmanship.

:laugh_mini: I’d not noticed that, Fred is obviously very strong and is pushing down on the cab steps a bit too hard

C22D1232-C8AD-4A93-93CC-77F7CDAA319D.jpeg

17 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Fred looks as good as any ready painted figures and certainly better than the bulk packs from China.

Thank you

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks really good. If you have a steady hand you can use a cocktail stick to add a suggestion of eyes. If you keep something handy to wipe it off incase you go wrong what's left tends to just look like highlights/shadows and helps accentuate the face. Make sure all the rest of the paint is fully dry (for a few days) first though if you want to try this.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Looks really good. If you have a steady hand you can use a cocktail stick to add a suggestion of eyes. If you keep something handy to wipe it off incase you go wrong what's left tends to just look like highlights/shadows and helps accentuate the face. Make sure all the rest of the paint is fully dry (for a few days) first though if you want to try this.

Thank you, I’ll try that.

Once dry I might even attempt to add some weathering powers or a black wash to accent the creases in his overalls and dirty up his hands and face

25 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Looks good. A white shirt does a lot to create contrast, I've noticed. Especially if done neatly like here. 

Thank you

I’ll maybe dirty up Fred’s crisp clean shirt too

• Like 2

A very dilute black wash, to emphasise creases in clothes and even face detail (I wouldn't try and paint eyes myself!) and most important - a coat of matt varnish. Most clothes are not shiny - especially railwaymen's. 

But very neat work, especially the shirt and tie, and hand in pocket. :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

AC5E06E5-9CA3-4FA4-830A-A24455058CA5.jpeg

Did you paint Oliver (14xx?) as well? I really like the way it captures the used look of the GWR livery. Reminds me of some of the pictures in 'The Big Four in Colour'.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

A very dilute black wash, to emphasise creases in clothes and even face detail (I wouldn't try and paint eyes myself!) and most important - a coat of matt varnish. Most clothes are not shiny - especially railwaymen's. 

The photo was taken with the paint still wet so hopefully it will dry to a Matt finish

Would it be better to apply the Matt varnish before or after the black wash?

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Did you paint Oliver (14xx?) as well? I really like the way it captures the used look of the GWR livery. Reminds me of some of the pictures in 'The Big Four in Colour'.

I’d like to say yes but its a Hattons factory weathered 58xx so I’m afraid I can’t take credit for the finish, the only things I’ve done are adding the real coal, fire irons and the etched number plates

46B0AE6D-5612-4AAE-A5AB-C1CADDE83FEB.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The oddly named Nuln Oil from Games Workshop has the same effect.  If your eyes and hands are getting less precise it's good because it seems to have a way of 'finding' creases in clothing and face detail with just a broadish brush stroke.

• Informative/Useful 3

D'oh!! I only just clocked the coupler on the loco. :fool:

As I used 7mm Modelu figures I just assumed this chap was too. Knowing he's a 4mm bod makes your painting even more impressive. :good:

If the thin black wash will dry flat, it can go on after the matt varnish. Might even help a bit, because I have to admit that with acrylic matt varnishes I still sometimes get a bit of a sheen on the finish. No idea why. :dontknow: :banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

D'oh!! I only just clocked the coupler on the loco. :fool:

As I used 7mm Modelu figures I just assumed this chap was too. Knowing he's a 4mm bod makes your painting even more impressive. :good:

If the thin black wash will dry flat, it can go on after the matt varnish. Might even help a bit, because I have to admit that with acrylic matt varnishes I still sometimes get a bit of a sheen on the finish. No idea why. :dontknow: :banghead:

Thank you, he is indeed a 4mm bloke

• RMweb Gold

I think Fred's arm may possibly be in the wrong position for the regulator on collett goods

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which Modelu figure would be more appropriate? 

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think Fred's arm may possibly be in the wrong position for the regulator on collett goods

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which Modelu figure would be more appropriate? 

Modelu might be able to help. The originals were sometimes scanned with a specific purpose in mind, and GWR locomotives feature strongly in there!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Yep ! As already mentioned these (7mm) are specifically made for GWR right hand operated loco`s.....

just search through Modulu website...... and don`t forget the lamps!!!!!

DSC04465.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Modelu might be able to help. The originals were sometimes scanned with a specific purpose in mind, and GWR locomotives feature strongly in there!

Thanks Mick

I'll take a photo of inside the cab and send it to Modelu and see what the suggest

Chris

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ROSSPOP said:

Yep ! As already mentioned these (7mm) are specifically made for GWR right hand operated loco`s.....

just search through Modulu website...... and don`t forget the lamps!!!!!

DSC04465.JPG

Thanks John

I've just ordered the driver (2nd from the left) and the fireman (far right) as well as a number of others to keep my options open......in 4mm though, 7mm might be a bit too big for OO :lol:

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

He looks very nice. Nice paintwork on Fred. I just recieved and O scale driver and fireman for my Minerva Pannier. I had a nice enjoyable hour or so painting them.. Ill have to post them as these are also my first attempt at painting figures.

Steve

• Thanks 1