Hobb's Bridge Goods N Scale (Billy Bookcase Layout)

Hi,

I decided to make a suggestion for the Billy Bookcase Layouts see https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142653-the-billy-bookcase-layouts/&  The dimensions and guide lines (limitations) can be found on the link above.

Below is my track plan and overall 'vision' for this small layout, operation is limited but I hope dramatic scenery will balance this. I wanted to try to create a prototypically possible senario without overcrowding the scene using the space advantages of N Scale.

It represents a small  goods terminal and Nuclear flask transfer terminal located on a now truncated main line. The original 'main line' ran x-y and was engineered for double track however only a single line was ever laid. A flat roadway connection to the nuclear power station is via a new tunnel T, the transfer siding is labelled A. Siding B is for other goods, such as timber, single wagon coal for transfer to the Welsh narrow Gauge railways and general non nuclear deliveries to the power station behind the rocky ridge to the rear of the layout. The rest of the rail network is accessed at X where the line enters a tunnel (to the fiddle yard) The line at Y is a buffer stop atop a viaduct which continues 'off set'. A road passes beneath the headshunt at Y, the track base being a good 100mm above the lowest par of the layout. For now I have just the track plan in AnyRail (I only downloaded the program 1 hour ago). The track is Peco code 55 electrofrog pointwork and wooden sleepered track. The three points comprise, a Y point, small radius RH and the three way interlaced. The rock face at the back of the layout extends a further 150mm above track level. will try to do a 3d version in the not too distant future.

Also below are a set of photos showing a typical movement, the delivery of a nuclear flask ( I don't have a flask wagon so have used a Tiphook telescopic steel carrier for now!)

You can see how the flask train arrives, loco runs round and drops flask into dedicated siding, then reassembles train ready for departure.

I will be building this layout over the next few months so please follow and check in for updates. Please add your comments to this thread your suggestions will be most welcome. I will show the successes and failures along the way.

Cheers

Duncan

Hobbs Bridge (Goods).jpg

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
spelling and grammar
  • Like 11

So I have already had further thoughts about the layout... but then hasn't cost anything until the wood is cut! There's no change to the plan or location but I will build the layout with plain track from British Finescale and hand build the points to Cavan Millward's (RM member id RBE) N2 spacing see his Burton on Trent Layout. This will require the layout to be redrawn in Templot, I am a complete novice with that too, so lots of learning curves for me! But this is what I enjoy about modelling- the challenges it throws up.

It will also be an ideal test bed for a new large layout when I retire Shirebrook.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 2

On 12/03/2019 at 07:30, Duncan. said:

So I have already had further thoughts about the layout... but then hasn't cost anything until the wood is cut! There's no change to the plan or location but I will build the layout with plain track from British Finescale and hand build the points to Cavan Millward's (RM member id RBE) N2 spacing see his Burton on Trent Layout. This will require the layout to be redrawn in Templot, I am a complete novice with that too, so lots of learning curves for me! But this is what I enjoy about modelling- the challenges it throws up.

It will also be an ideal test bed for a new large layout when I retire Shirebrook.

Cheers

Duncan

PS added a basic 3D pencil sketch of what I intend the model should look like. The viaduct would continue if the layout was longer but without track on it.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_0991.JPG

• Like 2

Evening RMwebers,

After wresting with the templot program (quite a struggle), tutor seeked please, I have produced a plan. The photo below shows both the templot version for hand built track and the any rail version using code 55, your thoughts and  comment over which to use please.

IMG_0993.JPG

• Like 5

I really like the look of this plan Duncan. It's something a little different in subject matter within that setting
There's something quite eye-catching about the road access tunnel portal in your sketch. I like that

It's a neat plan for the Billy Bookcase as a home too :)
I'll be watching this with interest

Cheers, Marc

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Marc,

I fully intend to make this little layout. It will be light relief after Shirebrook. I'm still considering which track type to use, I am tempted to use a mixture of finetrax for plain rails and hand build the pointwork. I have ordered a peco servo controller for point operation. The down side is that building time will be longer. Perhaps Phil Parker will build the peco code 55 version! See the link to Phil's thread.

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 1

Ah yes Duncan -  the old dilemma of "should I do something that adds to build time?"
Of course, all sorts of factors can increase the time it takes to complete a layout - not just hand-built track
I've built my own points in OO and EM in the past..... and it always takes me longer than I had anticipated - even though I've built quite a few

I suppose you have to answer some questions to yourself;

- As a "side-project" - do you really want to add to the build time?
- Will the addition benefit the overall appearance, in proportion to the added time?

- Is there another method / system I can use to reduce time?
- Am I in a hurry to complete a side-project?

On the last point - this is quite relevant. In the past, I have found myself building several side-projects. Layouts I hadn't intended to spend too much time on,
as they can be a distraction. The main downside being that, they can divert your attentions away from something more of a main project, that you really want to be getting on with.....

I've got quite a bit of N gauge stock, which I had intended as an "easy build" (is there such a thing? lol) and side-project, so that I could have a go at modern N gauge
as a small, compact shunting layout, and a roundy-roundy. I got a stack of Kato N gauge track. I had seen a layout where the builder had built up cork underlay on the side of the Kato track
This hid the very high shoulder of the plastic ballast base....

The builder had also added fine ballast to the Kato Frogs, and weathered the track - and it didn't look half bad IMO - of course, that may have been due to my ageing eyesight ;)

Depends how much time you want to spend on it, or whether you can convince someone to help out & build finer points..... hmmmm

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your input.

Shirebrook is sort of finished, 3 projects remain, all involve me doing the artwork for etches, they are ;

Safety fencing for the viaduct,

Radio mast and

Water Tower....

Hobb's Bridge will partly act as a test bed for a future layout, and I really would like to improve the appearance of the track, point control will by servo motor, and I could go back to Shirebrook with lessons learned to get the signals operating. 

I have always  supported and  promoted N scale modelling and always railed against those that  say you can squeeze the OO equivilent into 1/4 the space, you just get a train set then, but I believe that if you expand the N layout to fill the same space as the OO model, or model a real location to scale such as Shirebrook or Dallam sidings you can end up with a beautiful model. Shirebrook is rather large 22.5ft x 7.5ft so do go the the other end of the scale (29 inch by 10 inch) will be a challenge in it self. Watch this space.....

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

No problem re my input - I'm always happy to waffle on about trains ha ha :)
Actually, if you are using this little layout as a test-bed, for future layouts, using improved points - then despite the added time.... I think you should definitely build those points
Small layouts are a great way of experimenting and trying out unfamiliar methods, techniques and materials

I too have been tempted by the compact nature of N gauge. I did dabble with it many years back
But back then, the models weren't great in terms of detail / appearance and ran rather poorly
Nowadays, I sometimes see a review article on a newly released model, thinking "blimey, that OO loco / wagon looks great" - only to discover that it's N Gauge :o
And given the improvements in motors and control - the running is so much better too

EDIT: Just wondering which coupling system you will be using?

Edited by marc smith
  • Agree 1

Oh Marc you ask such difficult questions! It will definitely be set in Wales!  Ok I'll talk about couplings. At first I thought standard Rapido style... as I considered using stock from Shirebrook and that is all standard N, but if you follow my Flickr link 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08/

you'll see that most locos have a detailed end.....(no coupling) But then I thought that the layout requires such a limited amount of stock and if I have fine scale track that I would go for (is it DG) they give delayed action and stock can be propelled and then 'dropped off' and I hope that I can still add some brake pipe detail and the couplings themselves are quite unobtrusive. However on a replacement layout for Shirebrook (a large one) I would continue to use my current system. With around 300 pieces of rolling stock (I guess- not actually counted) it would just be mind blowing to try and replace the lot.... life's too short.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Oh Marc you ask such difficult questions!.......

Ah, sorry Duncan - it's just that this little project has caught my attention. I'll try to ask some easy ones in future :) ha ha

Looking at the plan again - I really like the concept of the truncated line, ending with the viaduct. And I just like the "flow" and simplicity of the design.
I must admit, if it was me, I'd probably extend the length of siding "B" -  and make that into rusted, overgrown track, just to add to the sense that there was more going on here in the past.
It's an odd thing I know, but I have a soft spot for seeing overgrown rusty track on a layout. Besides, it will make this siding appear longer, and that's a good thing, I think?
So I've gone from asking difficult questions to making your life more difficult in other ways! lol :)

Hi Marc,

Could only extend around 25mm, remember that a road passes under the truncated 'mainline'. There would be a retaining wall from the track level to the road below at the end of siding B. I envisage occasional traffic to siding B perhaps a single OTA for forrestry, or an HEA or MCV for coal for the Welsh narrow gauge...  overgrown yes sounds wonderful...

The dedicated road access to the power station and flask transfer crane would be security fenced off from siding B. I want to create the feeling of the damp mountain air, and a remoteness... yes in N and in this small space.

Cheers

Duncan

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Love the idea and the background, shall be watching along!  I am not a master by any means, advanced idiot is probably more my level, but I can find my way around Templot if you need any help, just let me know.  Its not the easiest programme, as you've probably found out, some bits are made harder by the developer just deviating from standard windows practice in some areas for some reason ... however, all that said when you have the 'penny drops' moment and the fog clears, it is a very clever piece of software that allows you to do far more than you could with just Peco track.  Big bonus if your hand-building of course.  You can also use the FineTrax point work with it as that system works in the standard sizes of course.

Rich

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

I can find my way around Templot if you need any help, just let me know.  Its not the easiest programme, as you've probably found out, some bits are made harder by the developer just deviating from standard windows practice in some areas for some reason

Hi Rich,

What happened is that Windows deviated away from Templot. smile.gif

You can read some explanation of that and why it works the way it does, here: http://templot.com/companion/basics.php

If you can say which bit of Windows you mean, I will see what I can do. However there is no way I'm going to add any Windows methods if it reduces the functionality or ease of use in any way.

Over the years many users have made similar comments. What usually happens is that they come back a few months later, having become more familiar with Templot's intended way of working, to say that they have changed their mind, and prefer it the way it is. This is especially the case when you get into creating the more complex formations, such as this:

complex_1400x376.png.075f9ec4d68fd6d79682c25f38c19a8f.png

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin,

We have to bear in mind that Microsoft is at the route cause of the majority of IT issues for treading their own course, I firmly believe Bill Gates chose Betamax! :P  So I can well believe that Windows deviated from Templot!

As a programmer myself, I can understand that things are done different ways for a variety of reasons - no criticism was intended, just a stating an opinion in that its one of the areas, if you know how Windows programmes works, it can make Templot harder to learn.  However, I'd rather have it harder than not at all!  Without wishing to hijack Duncan's thread(!) Id say I could give you several area's but any change to them would probably cause more difficulties than it would resolve, especially to people that now know how to use it. So please don't worry on my account.

However, if you have the ability at anytime to put a thread, video or instructional insight together as to how you created that template, id be fascinated!  I can deal with most things, and the recent single/double slip automation makes life far easier in my view, but something like that I wouldn't really know where to start, other than curving a B8 point!  I do get a bit lost with pegs, which is another area I really need to read up on.

But Duncan, if you are having problems working out how to do something in Templot, you now have the ear of the chap who created it and thereby allowed us all to build both easy and complicated tracklayouts by hand!   Ask away would be my advice :P

Rich

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

However, if you have the ability at anytime to put a thread, video or instructional insight together as to how you created that template, id be fascinated

Hi Rich,

I'm in the process of doing just that, see: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3405&forum_id=1

And the first of a series of slide videos:  https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=eBhzi_rOhOiVu934ox6mDQ2

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
fix links
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Rich and Martin, I think I have mastered the basics, but could do with some help with the finer points,no pun intended. I will check the various links when I have a little time, but thanks to both of you.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Rich,

I do really appreciate your interest (sometimes it feels as people are reluctant to enquire about , well anything, and that would seem to be the point of this and other forums....). 

I have cut out the baseboard and fixed the parts together. Then I took them apart again. The next steps will be to lay a cork track bed ,cut slots for turnout operating levers, then lay the track.

I have purchased  some servos and controller/programmer but still require trackparts from the 2mm scale association. Once the track is laid servos fitted and uncoupling magnets are fitted I will reassemble the baseboards  (glue and screw) permanently due to the limited working space. I hope to have my next Shirebrook running day around 3rd weekend in August if you can make it and hopefully there will be some more progress by then!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Duncan dont get disheartened if you feel people are reluctant to enquire. This happens all the time. Some layouts get a lot of interest and other don’t when in the building and modelling phase. 

I find the fun part is making and producing a layout which you can be proud off. 

Will look forward to seeing more progress.:good_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Never worry about the viewing figures like a lot do on here do Duncan:rolleyes: Please just carry on with the great modeling, some are watchers just like myself and just tick the 'like' and 'craftmanship' boxes and say little else, do'snt mean we don't care if we don't post replies or comment as often as some folks do.;)

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Owd Bob for your encouragement. Please carry on enjoying my models. Something for you to look forward to... Shirebrook is provisionally booked for the Wigan 2020 show... I hope you will come along.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

I was just wondering about progress on this little layout the other day....
And forgot to ask - so as others have said, that doesn't mean we're not interested
Good to hear you've been busy with the baseboard. Keep us up to date Duncan :)

Hi Marc,

I will add some photos when I rebuild the baseboard... progress will be slow as Shirebrook takes 1st priority after household jobs! I have added a low relief bridge to Shirebrook check my other thread to view.

Cheers

• 1 year later...