Hobb's Bridge Goods N Scale (Billy Bookcase Layout)

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Duncan. said:

I am very disappointed with the Peco Smart Switch servos and Smart Frogs,

Duncan,

Is it the servos themselves, or the Smart Switch control board that you're having problems with? The reason I ask is that I think the Smart Switch comes with those translucent blue TowerPro servos, which aren't the best quality. I started with those on a layout (with the MegaPoints controller) but replaced them with HK15178 servos from HobbyKing, which I found to be much better.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Duncan. said:

HI Rich,

Do you have a link or a website or information on these Please?

Hi Duncan,

I have used the same servos that jrb mentioned HK15178s, small and neat.  The Megapoints system is https://megapointscontrollers.co.uk - specifically you want to look at The servo controller board.  This controls 12 servos, but if you are operating crossovers, where two points can be worked as a pair, then one output from the board can use a 'Y' cable to operate to servos.  There is a minor downside in that because the same signal is going to both servos (although the Y cable can be crossover so that one servo moves left and one moves right) they both move by the same amount.  This should not really cause any issues, but you need to be aware - if you need a slightly longer throw on one servo for some reason, then it would need to be wired separately to be specific.  As I say, a minor issue which should not cause any problems.

The other aspect is that Dave that runs Megapoints builds everything himself and is very very helpful on the phone and email if you run into problems.  Only recommendation as a previous customer, but I'd certainly use his stuff again.

Rich

• Thanks 1

On 22/07/2020 at 15:39, jrb said:

Duncan,

Is it the servos themselves, or the Smart Switch control board that you're having problems with? The reason I ask is that I think the Smart Switch comes with those translucent blue TowerPro servos, which aren't the best quality. I started with those on a layout (with the MegaPoints controller) but replaced them with HK15178 servos from HobbyKing, which I found to be much better.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Having problems all over, the wire provided to connect servo to tie bar is rather flexible, Losing programming on power down, creeping servos... I will have another go, I bought the system primarily for the solid state switching of the frog and I wanted to try out servo operation. Hobbs bridge needs to work really well to be successful, I mean let's be honest there's not much that is possible with such a small layout.

if I can't get the reliability I need I will try out DCC Cobalts, they are expensive but with great reviews and proven reliability.

Thanks for your info certainly worth more consideration.

Cheers

Duncan

Limited  Success.

I am happy to report that I have solved the problems with the Peco Smart Switch system. Am I confident the system will be reliable? Not really, once the scenery is completed access to some of the servos would be difficult. Am I happy about the expense? Not really it was a huge outlay and I don't think I have a better or more reliable system. The wiring is more complex so I don't feel any gain there.

IMG_2215.JPG.d23c519aa35eb8bb6a1180fd7232daf4.JPG

This photo shows the wiring for Hobbs bridge,there are just two track feeds, OK so the wires are loose and overly long but I made them like this to enable me to program the servos before tiding up, whereas with seep motors I would have been happy to just wire things up neat and tidy without worry of reliability.

Controller, transformer, voltage regulators all ordered for installation into a control box which will have a 25 way d type connection to the layout Itself.

This will have all connections track power, servo control, uncouplers and lighting on a single plugs and socket arrangement.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

That’s a great mug...

I went and looked and thought, wow a modern day mug related to the ZX Spectrum! But alas, its to do with some noise making music group I believe :)

Sorry, not sure if that my geekiness coming through, or am I showing the first signs of showing my age???

Rich

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Limited  Success.

I am happy to report that I have solved the problems with the Peco Smart Switch system. Am I confident the system will be reliable? Not really, once the scenery is completed access to some of the servos would be difficult. Am I happy about the expense? Not really it was a huge outlay and I don't think I have a better or more reliable system. The wiring is more complex so I don't feel any gain there.

IMG_2215.JPG.d23c519aa35eb8bb6a1180fd7232daf4.JPG

This photo shows the wiring for Hobbs bridge,there are just two track feeds, OK so the wires are loose and overly long but I made them like this to enable me to program the servos before tiding up, whereas with seep motors I would have been happy to just wire things up neat and tidy without worry of reliability.

Controller, transformer, voltage regulators all ordered for installation into a control box which will have a 25 way d type connection to the layout Itself.

This will have all connections track power, servo control, uncouplers and lighting on a single plugs and socket arrangement.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan, I’m afraid I’m one of those people who have no idea what goes on beneath a baseboard, sorry, though I think I spot a Hammant & Morgan contoller on the edge of the picture (which tells you all I know about electrics, as distinct from the electronics shown here).  It’s helpful you’ve posted all this though - helps me to appreciate the effort that goes in to prepare for top quality operation, thank you.

I did wonder if you wanted us to try and spot which are the two wires that provide the track feed?  

As noted above, the mug stand out: you have a steadier hand than I do - if I used my layout as a mug stand, it would only be a matter of time before I knocked it off!

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

11 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

That’s a great mug...

....great .... but not as good as attending a gig, three times in total.

A couple of years ago my wife and I were invited to a dinner party,- my wife worked with our host-Jan. So we arrived and knew our hosts and one other couple, there were 2 other couples present. It was relaxed and there was general chat. This moved onto cars, now I'm no petrol head, but Simon and Nick said 'Haven't you seen his cars? You must see them'. After dinner Paul led Simon, Nick and myself into a subterranean 'garage' there were 3 cars there, now I said 'ah a Porsch 911 nice'(well you would wouldn't you?), no no no said Nick, that's the beauty,  pointing to a vintage car. It was a 1935 Austin Martin 'Ulster' in Red Original worth in excess of £1 milliion, then Nick piped up 'and he won't sell it to me!'

Then the penny dropped, I had just shared dinner with Nick and Annette Mason. I honestly hadn't realised. (Embarrassing)

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 1

Fences, Cranes and Floods?

Hi Everyone,

I have had a couple of deliveries recently. My son found some floodlights on the internet they looked very suitable. They arrived and I test fitted one on the layout. They are fitted with LEDS and come ready assembled and pre-wired, just need to add the supplied series resistors. 

IMG_2228.JPG.b7ef4864fcfef35e06156a6ac93fb95f.JPG

I also received security fencing from Ancorton and Woodland Scenics and a crane from Modelux. I am planning to use this as a base but change it to fit my location and requirement. I am waiting to get hold of a 3d printed portacabin. The floods are also shown in the photo below.

IMG_2229.JPG.dc04866868a1cf6240eb968b400b289b.JPG

On the construction front, well not much has happened-I have some linkages from the servos to the points to complete. I also have some control gear on order.... transformer, controller and some PSUs. Once I have mounted these items in a box, doubling as a control 'panel' I will be able to fully test the layout. Then I can start on finalising and adding scenery.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 3

Morning,

I got chance to do some wiring at the weekend. The wires at the bottom left will be connected to a d type socket 25 way for connection to the control panel. You can see the connections to the smart switch and smart frog system, feeds to the track and electromagnetic uncouplers. That side is pretty much complete. I need to add wires from the smart frogs to the LEDS mounted in the control panel  to show the way points are set also wiring for lights in the (few) buildings and the flood lights I  purchased.

IMG_2232.JPG.9f79f01d666d9f5eed5a3b6bef8476cf.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update 24.08.20

Well time just flies doesn't it. Hard to believe 3 weeks have got past me since the last update! In the first image you can see that the rails and sleepers have been weathered. I was able to do this since all 'on board'  wiring has also been completed- not quite true, all on board wiring to the track has been completed, further wiring to light buildings and wiring to the floodlights will be completed later.

IMG_2249.JPG.b5c35773c4bce9d5612a1d9659ab8aaf.JPG

The image below shows the 'power box' and control panel and controller. I like to keep mains power well away from my layouts. The mains enters the grew box via the black cable. Inside is a transformer with 2 x 16Vac outputs. These connect to the control panel via the white lead and a 9 way d-type pug and socket on the control panel. The mass of blue wires from the panel connect to the layout via 25 way d-type connectors.IMG_2289.JPG.f9c4301f6a57d77f99a7ead0b41a4f34.JPG

The black coloured toggle switches operate the servo point motors and the two red push to make buttons operate the electromagnets for uncoupling. The yellow coloured toggle turns the layout lights on and off. The red 'dots' are LEDs which will illuminate to show how the points are set.

My next tasks are to complete the wiring within the control panel, finish programming the servos and do a full check of the electrical operation.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

Update 28.01.2021

Hi,

I am sorry these updates are so infrequent. I spend most of my modelling time on Shirebrook. However, I have turned my attention to Hobbs Bridge recently and hope to get the basic 'plaster' scenery shell completed along with the ballasting.

1st job was to complete the tunnel mouth, here it is...

IMG_2685.JPG.abc978ed162ac7b4a90d6e9a9b87e621.JPGIMG_2686.JPG.b6c5eb20bcdca776e0a5173585b75ba9.JPG

I have shown it with double track on the work bench but it will only take a single track when installed on the model. It is constructed from plasticard plain and patterned sheets. Extra brownie points if you can tell me the prototype upon which it is modelled!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Nope and I’ve even found myself on Google looking at tunnel mouths...

It’s a really nice thing though, very crisp around the stonework on the arch.

the prototype is not too far from me!

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, richierich said:

Just being flicking through the thread.  It’s such a shame the sever issues on here means the photos are lost. 

Is there a track plan or photo to be able to visualise the project?

Hi,

I will try to look a track plan out and Ill take some fresh photos shortly and post them here.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2022 at 13:36, Duncan. said:

Merry Christmas 

Sorry  for delay in posting. I have been totally wiped out for the last two weeks with the flu... just feel rough now....!

Here are some photos for you, track plan is self evident.

20221224_132423.jpg

20221224_132351.jpg

20221224_132248.jpg

Hope you getting over the flu variant, I’ve got away with not much more than a snuffle but it has really taken my wife badly. My sympathies.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have made time this winter to make progress with the layout. Perhaps my slowest build ever, I've just had other things to do.

I have begun the (part) viaduct. Fitted point motors and I am getting to the stage of adding plaster to model the extensive  rock faces.

20240203_150525.jpg.0b22a515b805405829fff7566ca91621.jpg

20240203_150545.jpg.054e6c6cff2db2d84059f51934cb4fe7.jpg

I have also completed control panel and the power supplies.

20240203_150630.jpg.39d368cf517f7da290ad545e55128513.jpg

• Like 5

20240206_202637.jpg.27c19c9a88d1e2673895a156a2c6e5c2.jpg

THE LAYOUT ALWAYS LOOKS BETTER ONCE A LITTLE COLOUR IS APPLIED....

Hi,

I used a traditional filler for the rock surfaces and  Everbuild 'One Strike' lightweight filler for the flatter 'grass' areas.Once dry I painted with acrylic paints. I will complete ballasting when I have completed some other ground works such as location of walls concrete hard standing etc.

20240206_202627.jpg.f2bb31b745d7c0a6a210d8dab6854140.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2