Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Thanks To Our "Unsung Heroes"

• RMweb Gold

By heroes, I refer to those understanding, patient and encouraging individuals out there without whom many of us might struggle with our modelling achievements - our spouses and partners.

Be they outwardly enthusiastic or just supportive and tolerant, we owe them a considerable debt, as we may seemingly for hours, lock ourselves away in our miniature environs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Right Away said:

as we may seemingly for hours, lock ourselves away in our miniature environs.

We should remind them of this benefit. ;) During such times we are not adding to their workload (nor easing it? ;)) and providing them with opportunities for a less stressful life.

You are right of course; they do put up with a lot.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I might dare a counter opinion. She has significant  leisure interests too. I was enrolled as surveyor/designer/labourer/porter for all technical and heavy work in the garden without even an interview. So its more of a trade in our domestic economy.

Wot, no bricklaying, path laying, or patio building?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I should thank my wife more than most, as I am one of those rare folk who are allowed a model railway layout in the bedroom.

Quite how I have managed to get away with this I don't know, but I am very lucky to have her full blessing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Wot, no bricklaying, path laying, or patio building?

These would be encompassed by the surveyor/designer/labourer elements. The most difficult aspect is 'can you draw it to give me some idea of the finished appearance?'. First time out I loosely copied some romantic artist's depiction of the hanging gardens of Babylon. And thus we long ago learned that sarcasm is not appreciated.

• Funny 3

I am one of those fortunate to have a wife who is supportive of the hobby.  As such, I wouldn't encroach on her preserve and keep all trains in a room dedicated to the hobby.  Her interest is the rest of the house and how nice it looks and no matter how great we think our trains are, they just don't fit the décor. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My squeeze is supportive; she says that my hobby shows that I am creative, intelligent, and passionate.  Who am I, to blow against the wind...

The railway room has the bed in it and she insists that it is in fact a bedroom with a railway in it, which is clearly delusional but that is not an opinion that I make a point of stressing in her presence.  The railway predated her appearance on the scene, though, and I doubt it would have been allowed to post date it!

She does enjoy driving, though, and has an instinctive feel for smooth and delicate operation.  I have to direct things and set routes, though!

I am lucky to have her; definitely a keeper...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:21, Geep7 said:

I should thank my wife more than most, as I am one of those rare folk who are allowed a model railway layout in the bedroom.

Quite how I have managed to get away with this I don't know, but I am very lucky to have her full blessing.

Takes your mind off other things?

• Funny 3