Bachmann Collectors' Club - N Gauge LMR Class 08 'Basra'

AY Mod

• Moderators

Basra.jpg

New Bachmann Collectors Club Limited Edition Ready for Duty.

The latest limited edition model to be produced exclusively for Bachmann Collectors Club members is the N Scale Class 08 Diesel Shunter as No. 878 ‘Basra’ in Longmoor Military Railway livery (371-020K).

The model is priced at £109.95 and just 504 have been produced, each is supplied with a certificate of authenticity. The real locomotive was delivered new to the LMR from Derby Works in 1945 as War Department No. 70272. It later gained the number 878 and was named ‘Basra’, carrying the iconic blue and red livery of the LMR. When the Longmoor Military Railway closed in 1969, ‘Basra’ was transferred to the Ministry of Defence site at Bicester and was renumbered to AD601. After spells at Bicester, Shoeburyness, Welford Park and Thatcham, the locomotive was eventually sold to the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway in 1980 where it survives in preservation.

The Bachmann Collectors Club produces a range of limited edition models, which are available exclusively to Club Members, and the latest model was launched in the Spring 2019 Bachmann Times – the official quarterly magazine of the Bachmann Collectors Club. For further details visit www.bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk. This latest release is based on the popular Graham Farish Class 08 Diesel Shunter and features a highly detailed body with numerous separately fitted detail parts. The chassis incorporates NEM coupling pockets and an accessory pack is included with additional bufferbeam detailing parts. ‘Basra’ joins a growing number of LMR-themed models from Graham Farish, with the Longmoor Military Railway Train Pack that was produced in 2015 now highly sought after and the WD 2-8-0 No. 79250 ‘Major-General McMullen’ (372-429) due for release later this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Good to see that N gauge modellers are getting a new Club locomotive, not just those of us who model in OO. Now its up to you guys to buy it and demonstrate to Bachmann that it's a road worth following.

The N gauge stuff does sell, but often when sold via retailers. The problem Bachmann has is that in N gauge £32 a year can be viewed as poor value compared to the N Gauge society. While you get a free wagon and calender the wagon is normally a PO from before the war (I think the latest wagon was a TTA from the 1960's), if that is your era fine but not for everybody.  For OO modelers it probably more value; I have a couple of relavites who have OO membership and they love it.

• Agree 1

you can often buy the limited editions at a show or from online retailers. i got the intercity 08 and tta from Bachmann's own stand (it was a few years after they originally came out). 

i think the 08 needs reworking (like they are planning for the 14) with dcc socket (or fitted) plus lights and a stay alive. 

tim

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Bomag said:

The N gauge stuff does sell, but often when sold via retailers. The problem Bachmann has is that in N gauge £32 a year can be viewed as poor value compared to the N Gauge society. While you get a free wagon and calender the wagon is normally a PO from before the war (I think the latest wagon was a TTA from the 1960's), if that is your era fine but not for everybody.  For OO modelers it probably more value; I have a couple of relavites who have OO membership and they love it.

If you consider it as a calander, a catalogue, a free wagon, four magazines and a day trip to a heritage railway, if you book i quickly, then it is quite good value at £32 IMO.

Dave

• Agree 1

"Basra" looks exquisite and it is tempting to join for that alone, but the lack of DCC ready capability puts me off. Yes, I do have an 08 that is chipped and it isn't the hardest thing to do, but firstly I don't want to do another, and secondly I do not want to modify a limited edition model!!

Given the existence of right angled chips, the minscule size of the smallest Zimo (for example) one would have thought the mods to the loco to facilitate DCC (socket or fitted) would already have been implemented, after all the 08 has clearly sold well for years and has huge potential to continue to do so.

Roy

• Agree 1