Meldon West - 3x1 Quarry / Aggregate Layout - set in the 80s/90s

NGaugeTom

On 11/06/2019 at 19:48, Duncan. said:

Hi Tom,

The layout is looking great. I have already bought some of the finetrax range and after seeing your results I am determined to make a small layout using finetrax product. I do have a question, how do the stock and locos perform, is running improved (slow speed for example through the pointwork) compared to Peco streamline?

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Thanks!  I was a bit unsure at first whether I'd have any issues as some of my stock is around 15 years old so I didn't know whether I'd have any issues with flanges, especially through the points.  So far I have had one issue, which was on a Class 47, but that was due to the back-to-back gauge not being quite right on one of the wheelsets, but with a quick adjustment, it works flawlessly.  I've run wires to every individual rail on the layout, including the point blades and this has meant I can crawl any loco slowly through the points without it juddering to a halt.  From my experiences so far I'd say it is better than the Peco track, the gaps between the frog and blades is smaller so less chance of a stall and the overall appearance of the track is so much more realistic.  I'd highly highly recommend it, and I've also seen Waynes now making concrete sleeper flexi track and single slips so now I just need another layout to try those out!

Cheers

Tom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the last couple of weeks haven't seen much change on the layout in terms of buildings, I'm researching and finding the right colours for the buildings...but...in the meantime, I have fitted a Zimo sound decoder to a Class 37 and I'm super impressed - it's my first sound install and it's working very well.  Really enjoying the layer it adds to the hobby - I think the next few years birthday presents may include some more sound decoders!  After completing that install I was looking at some of my old DC loco's that I've yet to chip.  I'm always up for a challenge so I've also converted an old Dapol 0-6-0 Terrier, which, after initial testing really wasn't that great, it has such a small wheelbase and as it passed over any frog or very very slightly uneven section of track it would grind to a halt - not ideal when all I want to do is some slow shunting in the facility.  So after getting frustrated with it constantly stalling I decided to try and squeeze a stay alive circuit into the cab - along with the original motor resistors, the Lenz Silver Mini chip, a stay alive circuit chip and a 330uf capacitor.  I had to sacrifice the small metal weight which sat in the back of the cab to fit the capacitor but it all fits, tightly but it fits.  It now works in a very similar way to the real loco due to not having much weight to it.  It seems very happy pulling 3 or 4 wagons or 1 coach, which is absolutely ideal for my needs.  The engine driver figure is hiding all the gubbins but I will probably replace him with someone that's not waving.  Super happy with this loco now, I can crawl her along at more realistic speeds, she doesn't stall at all on frogs or dirty track, there's just enough juice in the 330uf capacitor to keep her rolling if there's a momentary loss of power.  Although I'm basing the layout in the early 80's, I'm sure Stepney will now make a daily appearance :) 

WhealEndUpdate37.JPG

WhealEndUpdateStepney.JPG

WhealEndUpdateStepney2.JPG

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2019 at 16:50, NGaugeTom said:

Almost a month has passed since the last post, no idea where the time goes!  Been busy this month so the modeling has slowed down a pace, but I've managed to get some paint on to one of the main buildings on the layout and I've also added some foliage to parts of the layout (I think this is one of the most frustrating things to get right!).  I've also removed the hopper from the second siding for the time being as I think it overcrowded the scene, after operating it for an evening without it on I think I prefer seeing the trains more than hiding them in a hopper.  Thoughts are the wagons will be loaded via digger instead.

Railway Update 3 July.JPG

Railway Update 1 Jul 2019.JPG

Railway Update 2 Jul.JPG

This really is an excellent layout and the Finetrax makes a real difference to the appearance. If only more people would use it. I do disagree, however, about the hopper as the left hand end of the layout now looks rather unbalanced without it.

David

• Agree 2

Thanks for the kind comments!  I've always been inspired by Chris's layouts - it was seeing what he could achieve in such a small space that finally made me decide to dust off the storage boxes.  I've always liked the 'facility' layout as it seems far more interesting to operate in a smaller space than a minimum space station would be.  I've also added the hopper back in, I found the right shade of green and after one coat it's beginning to sit better for me.  Just a lot of weathering to go and it'll look the part :)

RailwayUpdateAug.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • NGaugeTom changed the title to 6x1 Quarry / Aggregate Layout - set in the 80s/90s
On 30/07/2019 at 16:50, NGaugeTom said:

Almost a month has passed since the last post, no idea where the time goes!  Been busy this month so the modeling has slowed down a pace, but I've managed to get some paint on to one of the main buildings on the layout and I've also added some foliage to parts of the layout (I think this is one of the most frustrating things to get right!).  I've also removed the hopper from the second siding for the time being as I think it overcrowded the scene, after operating it for an evening without it on I think I prefer seeing the trains more than hiding them in a hopper.  Thoughts are the wagons will be loaded via digger instead.

Railway Update 3 July.JPG

Railway Update 1 Jul 2019.JPG

Railway Update 2 Jul.JPG

What a stunning little layout. So simple yet so atmospheric.

Thanks all for the kind comments :)

I've been busy painting and weathering the buildings this month.  I've added some signage (which needs weathering) and once the buildings are complete then they'll be set in place and blended in with the road or static grass added around the bases.   I also need to finish off the static grass on the right-hand side of the layout around the road. 

Apologies for the poor quality of pictures - using my phone again but hopefully after a lighting tweek the colours are looking a bit more realistic - I've borrowed a DSLR so will be taking some better pictures soon.

RailwaySept01.JPG.46c909690e9cdf9edfe51015592a90a7.JPG

I think I may keep the hopper but may move its location to the rear shorter siding,  this will allow trains arriving at the facility to use the longer middle siding.

RailwaySep02.JPG.cd2e2d409300e151d0c4553029c6b189.JPG

RailwaySep03.JPG.f0cd4c574fc4811995645e6128f16fe2.JPG

The second baseboard is coming along well too, and the beginnings of a small loco servicing facility are taking shape.  This 3-foot board is predominately a fiddle yard but I wanted to avoid just having a fiddle yard board.  The thought here is that I can run my 2 coach DMU along the front track whilst loco's not required in the facility can be moved to the shed.  Having spent an evening playing trains this makes the layout much more interesting to operate.  The board has two 3-track sector plates on it, one hidden on the right-hand side to feed the shed and branch line and one longer sector plate hidden behind the whole scene.

RailwaySep05.JPG.88207d0c945ba94d2163890c908aac00.JPG

As for the signals, I had them in my box and thought why not - with the working ones, having a few more switches to operate to control movements makes the whole layout more enjoyable to operate. 

I realise I need to take some pictures with some trains on the layout!!

Tom

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

The CR signals lamp kits are now built and ready for painting, I was a little surprised at the size of the LED's - you can just about make one out above the £1 coin in the picture.  After a few curses I've built up four lights, two double lights and a single light for the quarry, and then a single lamp with a ladder for the loco shed.  Just hoping they survive the priming and painting stage now before they're installed :)

Railway Lamps 2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1