Meldon West - 3x1 Quarry / Aggregate Layout - set in the 80s/90s

NGaugeTom

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just discovered this thread and what a wonderful little layout - a shortage of storage space and a desire for something portable is leading me to consider a first plunge into 'N' and this is inspirational.  I particularly like the overall colour palette, everything nicely toned down and natural-looking, do you have any plans to exhibit?

If you take any more photos, BR Blue is always welcome!

Andy

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

I cannot believe it's been two years since I posted on the forum...it's probably about time I updated the thread.  Meldon West had it's first public outing at TINGS and as a result will be appearing in BRM in December (think it goes on sale on the 3rd) and will also appear in Model Rail in the not too distant future.  Sadly the layout is currently in storage due to a house move but I am very much looking forward to getting it up and running again as soon as possible.  I'll post some pictures soon, but in the meantime, it's nice to be back on the forum!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just read the article and a good read and it looks really good. When the time comes I could give it a good retirement home with several other layouts I have conserved over the years.

It was good of you to mention TINGS.  While staffing the show I did suggest  to quite a few vistors  go and find the layout  as I thought it showcased all that is good in N gauge.    As Rambling Rich says it could be 4mm  or even 7 mm it is so good a creation. To me a measure of the success is the lack of scale give away.

Robert      

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 21:10, Robert Shrives said:

Just read the article and a good read and it looks really good. When the time comes I could give it a good retirement home with several other layouts I have conserved over the years.

It was good of you to mention TINGS.  While staffing the show I did suggest  to quite a few vistors  go and find the layout  as I thought it showcased all that is good in N gauge.    As Rambling Rich says it could be 4mm  or even 7 mm it is so good a creation. To me a measure of the success is the lack of scale give away.

Robert      

Thanks Robert!  I have no plans to part with the layout at the moment, there are still a few things I would like to do with it.  That's very kind of you to do that at TINGS, I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and I'm hoping to get the layout out to a few more shows next year (hopefully Covid doesn't scupper those plans).

Sometimes I do wish it was 4mm, it would make some of the detailing and fitting of DCC that little bit easier on the eyes!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought Tom: could you edit the thread title to include the layout name now? It might help anyone who's looking for it from the mag. article.

If you go to your first post in thread & click on 'edit' it will allow you to amend the title :) 

• Agree 1

• NGaugeTom changed the title to Meldon West - 3x1 Quarry / Aggregate Layout - set in the 80s/90s
22 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Just a thought Tom: could you edit the thread title to include the layout name now? It might help anyone who's looking for it from the mag. article.

If you go to your first post in thread & click on 'edit' it will allow you to amend the title :) 

Thanks Rich - I've just done that, good suggestion! :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So with the house move complete, Meldon West is now fully up and running in its new home.  It's survived being in storage for a couple of months and with the space now available I've been able to attach the second board again.  I'd built this a couple of years ago but due to a lack of space in the previous home it's been stored in a garage ever since, fortunately though it has survived!  Looking back through the posts I realise I documented some of this section being built (okay there's a huge gap from where it was to where it is now) and I'm very glad that after a dust and a track clean that it all works as it should.  There's still a little bit of work to do in terms of detailing but I may get distracted a little as I'm about to embark on another layout....but I'll start a new thread for that :)  Here are a couple of pics showing the Class 33 completing the test run on the second board and a view of the overall set up :)

20220130_150723.jpg

20220130_150622.jpg

Edited by NGaugeTom
Picture upside down so removed
  • Like 11