Forum software update - 13 March 2019

• Moderators

A software version update (which included security updates)has been carried out. Part of the process means that the software has to re-index the content again. This means you may see no or limited results in the Activity Streams until it rebuilds. Based on the last time this happened it could take 2/3 days for that process to complete.

Generally, the responsiveness seems to be slow but we are looking at the issue.

• RMweb Premium

Can confirm that it's noticeably slower here in mid Wales; but you probably know or suspect that anyway. So far I haven't stumbled across any indexing issues though I haven't been looking far back in time.

RMWEB virtually at a standstill here in North Norfolk - problems connecting and logging in, attempted multiple times.  Must admit I thought we had a problem with the server, it's not much use at the mo, so will probably have to go off and do something else for a few days.

I hope this is not going to become a regular issue each time the security updates are processed, otherwise it will be a bit like automatic Microsoft updates followed by a full scan of the computer...

Technology - don't you just love it....

Regards

SIGTECH.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sigtech said:

RMWEB virtually at a standstill here in North Norfolk - 

For once it's not NFN. We believe it's down to the indexing so we've just got to let it run a while. I hope it's not the new norm too, the nag screens about the update in the Admin area were a nuisance and I don't want to have this indexing issue every few weeks.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Andy cmon now will you PLEASE go and feed that hamster ?   Oh and tell Phil to pedal faster. .. the light keeps going out !  :laugh_mini:    Keep calm and pedal faster, hopefully it will soon sort itself out

(pssst did you read the instructions ?:read: )

:heart_mini:

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

pssst did you read the instructions ?

Nothing has instructions anymore, apparently box-opening videos are considered sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Getting multiple error 522 login messages trying to access the site. RMWEB is becoming like an old banger in car terms, - if this continues it may become necessary to consider  an alternative....

24 minutes ago, sigtech said:

Getting multiple error 522 login messages trying to access the site. RMWEB is becoming like an old banger in car terms, - if this continues it may become necessary to consider  an alternative....

Having been here since day one, there have been a few take the same attitude and yet RMweb just goes from strength to strength.

Good luck with finding an alternative......;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Its the world of the instant fix. People these days have no patience and want everything now, now, now .

Microsoft have a dedicated team of thousands and quite often when they do an update, security or otherwise, there are problems. Andy Y is ONE man maintaining and running a quite complex site, that we DONT  pay for, and still at any glitch, some throw toys out the pram

• Agree 7

Still intermittently slow  and that is on a FTP connection using Chrome on a PC. I've cleaned out the browser cache but that made no difference. No rhyme or reason to which requests for a particular topic seem much slower than others.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Has this got anything to do with the absence of the status updates and the other stuff in the column on the right-hand side of my computer screen, please?

It has, the content blocks are causing loading speed issues and it's being looked into. In the meantime the only solution is to do without.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

It has, the content blocks are causing loading speed issues and it's being looked into. In the meantime the only solution is to do without.

ISTR in the previous version some of these were optional, and I opted out. Very happy with them being missing, thankyou. Furthermore it now seems Status Updates are being listed under Unread Content, so links are provided.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

If following a KISS approach speeds things up, then I'd go with that.

If people really want those features, then perhaps make it so they can opt-in, and give a warning that the site might be slower as a result? therefore for the vast majority the site will be speedier.

In the meantime, keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1