Hello folks. I thought it was about time I posted something about South Bromley, if for no other reason than knowing it's on here might chivvy me up a bit...

The layout has been around for a few years, but was looking tired and unloved. It used peco code 55 which looked ok from a distance, but not so good close up. It had some beautiful  buildings mostly built by my Dad, but other bits were just not right.

I made the decision about three years ago to lift the lot and relay it with finetrax, and to strip all the buildings off the front, and have another crack at doing it better.

Since we first built the layout, a few different photos have turned up giving tiny little bits of extra information on the station and its surroundings. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a worthwhile project.

Here are a couple of shots of the layout so far. The overview shows the amount of work still needing to be done. The station canopy warped, so needs completely rebuilding, and where we had originally had Railway Street running all the way to the Fore Street footbridge, I have now started cutting it ready to feed the streets in which were really there...

20190314_105123.jpg

20190314_105202.jpg

• Like 5

I decided this afternoon that one job which would make the whole thing look and feel more like a progressing layout would be to vacuum it. The big fingerprint in the dust on the platform in the previous post convinced me that this would be a good plan.

It looks a bit better and more loved now. I want to do something with the lighting. The layout sits very neatly on one of the bookshelves in my study, but it is very dark. I put some IKEA LED lights under there when we moved in two years ago, but they weren't very effective. I might see if I can find something with a but more oomph...

20190314_115229.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks great, do you have any pics before the footbridge and canopy were removed?

Also what's the size of this layout please? I'm guessing the scenic section to be around 6ft?

Edited by simon b

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't have any here. Tje canopy was so warped that I took it off almost as soon as I got the layout on the shelf, likewise the footbridge. It dies now have a show booking for November though, so it won't be long (hopefully) before the replacement canopy and footbridge are on.

The scenic section is only 4' long, with a pair of 2' traversers at each end.

• Thanks 1