SWAG Members Day - Sunday 28th April 2019 - The Line Up

Stubby47

Enjoyed my hour and a half there today. As usual lot of tips picked up, passed on and ideas to ponder away. Plan to get a layout of my own there next year.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Home now and unloaded the Pencarrow buildings from the car. Really good trip home and now sat down with a nice cup of tea.

Really enjoyed the event and glad I made a weekend of it. Great to talk to loads of folk today, not sure how Jerry got past security. Just packaged up some sheep and trees for Rob, just enough to finish off Bleat Wharf.

Thanks to Stu and Co for organising, the cafe crew and all others how made it such a friendly, fun event.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

Thanks to all for the organisation of what was the nicest of days. 

Everyone present contributed to a lovely day out. 

Bleat Wharf saw some wonderful motive power including a superbly weathered D600 Warship, Herr Rover the Deutsch Terrier, a class 33, a Prairie, Bunty and a splendid J70. 

It seems almost impolite to single anything out but Sandy Shores was simply wonderful. A splendid model railway in every sense and beautifully presented. Oh and the Kitcheneers whose efforts  truly sustained the event.

A highlight of the year without a doubt and a pleasure to be part of. 

Rob. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to everyone who has posted photographs for those of us who couldn't attend, it looks like a fantastic event. Particularly like the look of those pasties...... I feel as though I have missed out! Also great to spot CK's little shunter, Buntie, in a couple of shots. Remember her from the good old days of admiring Engine Wood!

I hope everyone had a great day. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent day. Thanks for organising Stu. Leaned a it, met some old friends and made some new ones. Upwell Drove behaved itself, apart from a brief interlude with the lights before we opened, traced to a connector that had come undone.

We particularly liked the cake, and Sandy Shores.

a

Alex.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Another excellent day at Taunton - brillant selection of layouts (thanks to those that let me have a play) to appreciate, great food as always and of course the chance to have a good old chinwag with various folk about all sorts of stuff.

While I don’t normally like to single out any one layout, I have to say Sandy Shores was uplifting to the mind (as well as being excellent modelling) - the lovely backdrop and bright lighting transported you to Poole harbour on a hot sunny day in June, waves lapping, gulls sqwaking, Purbeck on the horizon...

A big thank you to everyone involved in planning / executing the day and carrying the good Captin’s legacy. Roll on 2020.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m now home in Chiltern Hills of Buckinghamshire having dropped @st simon home nr Reading and his dads Loughborough Road MPD back to its home. 

Once again thanks to all whom organised, exhibited and visited today without which this splendid event would not happen or be such the wonderful social weekend with the side benefit of some excellent railway modelling on show. 

Thanks also to all whom provided lovely cakes, did someone say cake... , without which I would not have anything to up sell alongside a cup of tea or coffee!

Thanks again one and all  

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, peter220950 said:

Graham has a clashing Exhibition commitment next year, so I'm looking for a bit of assistance, if any hard sell snake oil sellers are available you will be welcome to help next year.

Nadine says she will help in the kitchen for 2020

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all concerned for giving me a very good reason to visit the Taunton area once more. 

The gathering at Bath Green Park, the superb meal at the Lethbridge Arms, the pasties and cakes at Staplegrove and the usual convivial company. Oh - and some lovely little layouts, displays and demonstrations too. 

Not only but also happily coinciding with a 12”:1’ scale water-boiling object just down the road. 

What more could you want from a weekend?  

1CF14C3C-F8CB-4AC5-8FC0-B35511906D50.jpeg

35A6DEFB-C43D-4004-86C3-3CCAE601F0AC.jpeg

6ADF2125-2530-4625-B168-476AF008E480.jpeg

8208FA15-93F2-4AE2-BCCD-E1CA67EC6A9D.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I obviously missed a cracking day not to mention the cake. It would have been nice to have a chat to Phil as in addition to 2mm and 7mm stuff I also have some 16mm live steamers. I have been reading Garden Rail for years.

Don

Just wanted to say how glad I am that accepted the kind offer of a lift from @Barry Ten accompanied by @wenlock and made the trip to this great event.
Good to catch up with so many pals, and see some fab layouts and have a good old chin-wag with many like-minded rmweb members
Again, thanks are due to @Stubby47 and everyone else, for organising the day - it's hard work, and it doesn't go un-noticed guys - huge thanks :)

I also wanted to say, I did my first rmweb day here, with Hendre Lane, and that was 9 years ago :o ....How come I'm the only rmweb member who has aged? ;) 
When I took Hendre along all those years back, there was a distinct lack of fellow Welsh modellers in attendance, and I'm happy to say that this balance is now being redressed
Though I'm not sure whether @NHY 581 had just the one bottle of alcohol close to hand all day... or whether he was replenishing it regularly? ;)

I've been kindly invited by Stu, to bring my latest project along next year - and if I do get around to finishing it... I will be there, and am already looking forward to it

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Well, I had a fab time as well, non-stop yakking to chums old and new, just brilliant.

Earlier, at the Bring & Buy, I was just contemplating that you have to get up very early indeed if you are going to beat Brinkly to the chocolate biscuits Mitchell 44XX kits.

I found it very hard indeed to find a favourite layout yesterday, the standard was so high and I thought it was one of the best selection of layouts in the 11 year history of holding that event.

My thanks, as ever, to Herr Sheepmeister, for granting track access, including to the partially-forgiven Terrierhundchen. 'Bleat Wharf' certainly didn't disappoint, it's even better 'in the flesh' than in the photos.

But - and others have also said this - I was particularly impressed by 'Sandy Shores'. It was bright, cheerful and very well observed and modelled. Well done, Jamie!

I'd also like to say that, despite all the ribbing and joking, Mr Chris Spam-u-Like is building something very special in 7mm and I was very impressed with the buildings he brought along. I did like the fact that he's building the layout in both 'O' gauge and 'T' gauge - this could be the start of a new trend.

Thanks Stu, Peter, Graham, Andy, Phil and everyone else who arranged this, once again.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Funny 2

Many thanks to all involved for yet another really enjoyable day out.

Not only that but I managed to recoup some of my auction overspend, by selling virtually everything i brought.

A real bonus and I am very grateful to those who did the deals, although just a little disappointed I didn't "have to" keep

a couple of the buildings.

This was the icing on an exceptionally good cake of a weekend, which included the Helston show on Saturday, virtually on

the site of the prototype of my layout.So I count myself very fotunate indeed.

There were a number of informative conversations to be had, and a really useful, practical in the first steps in weathering.

So suitably inspired I am resolved to refocus on my projects, and maybe move forward with something to put forward

next year.

Once again many thanks to Stu and his team.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just like (apparently) everybody else, I had a wonderful day out. I'd like to have the same day over again, but as somebody else, so that I could get round and chat, laugh and marvel instead of sitting still, chatting and laughing.

Those responsible for the excellent organisation and victualling should be placed upon a pedestal somewhere for all to gaze at in wonderment. How do they do it all and find time to live a life as well?

Well done and thank you to all.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

What can I add that hasn't already been said.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has helped with the event - despite all the compliments, it's certainly just not me (see Andy's post 5 up ).

Thanks also to those who brought some fabulous layouts and demos - despite my c*cking up the floor plan on the day, it all fitted and there was plenty of room.

Thanks also to Peter & Brian for the retail therapy stalls, both hopefully will return next year.

Next year's list of layouts is already in hand, and mostly full - and I think it will match this year's list in variety and quality.

I just need to decide whether to bring the PSMT next year...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've just had another pasty for my lunch today!

******, no wonder I couldn't bag one for lunch today!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1