Single-track junctions?

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

Newport, on the Isle of Wight, was at its heyday a fairly large junction station, with four lines converging - Cowes, Ryde, Sandown and Freshwater, and four platforms.

Were there any other large junction stations in the UK at which every route was single track?

Brecon Free Street station had four platforms was the hub for four seperate lines, all single track, though the junctions for two of those lines were some way from Brecon itself at Talyllyn and Three Cocks Junctions. I wouldn't necessarily describe Free Street as a 'large' station though. Set in a beautiful location certainly and perhaps the epitome of a rural railway centre but traffic was never really heavy and aside from the grand station building the layout wasn't big or complicated.

Justin

Edited by jjnewitt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Newport, on the Isle of Wight, was at its heyday a fairly large junction station, with four lines converging - Cowes, Ryde, Sandown and Freshwater, and four platforms.

Were there any other large junction stations in the UK at which every route was single track?

Your question prompted me to look up the OS map for Newport IoW. I had not realised that trains from Yarmouth/Freshwater could not access the station without reversal.

• RMweb Gold

Now got the atlas out from the library. This may be easier than I thought, although still subject to what one means by "big".

Barnstaple, Halwill Jct,....

Bewdley (that was an obvious one!)

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Now got the atlas out from the library. This may be easier than I thought, although still subject to what one means by "big".

Barnstaple, Halwill Jct,....

Bewdley (that was an obvious one!)

Wasn't Barnstaple double track on the main line (Exeter->Ilfracombe)? 

• RMweb Premium

Brechin in Angus wasn't perhaps that big a station but served as the terminus and junction of 3 separate lines. To the east of the station, what looked like a double track line veered north - these were in fact the single track Forfar and Edzell branches, which ran alongside each other until they diverged at the north of the town. The third line was to Bridge of Dun, which went eastwards from the station.

A train from one line to any other would have to reverse in (or just before) the terminus.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Barnstaple Junction to Barnstaple Town was always single.

Barnstaple  Town to Ilfracombe was originally single, then doubled, then singled again before closure.

Umberleigh to Barnstaple Junction was double for many years, but then singled (in the late 1960s?)

cheers

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

If we are talking about Monmouth you could add Ross-on-wye.

There was only one branch off the Hereford. Ross & Gloucester Railway at Ross-on-Wye though, so it wasn't much different to countless other junction stations on single track lines. At Monmouth there were lines to Usk/Little Mill, Ross, Chepstow and also at one point to Coleford though it did close very early (1917).

Justin

• RMweb Gold

There are probably hundreds if we allow places where a branch diverged from a single track "main" line.

But, as per the OP, not that many where two branches diverge from the single-track "main".

Buildwas is another one of those.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Did the additions and closures and singling and redoubling ever mean Yeovil Junction would've qualified at some point?

I don't think so. Apart from there having been double track on both routes for much of the time, the link through the GW goods yard (known by another name, Clifton Maybank) was not direct.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1