The Chronicles of Braynerts Sidings'

My latest loco acquisition arrived today courtesy of Grundy & Co., pre-owned loco and scrap dealers.  It is a steam outline (?!) battery electric which requires some fettling and seems to be an early tramway style engine with wheels suitable for use on plateway 'L' shape rails or wooden track and is complete with magnetic couplings.  It will need rewheeling to P4 standards - or not as the case may be...................

Ready painted in almost my standard non-steam blue livery it was a bargain.

i.e. - priceless.....................:mosking:

1773518684_BryansLoco.2.A.jpg.8c4c9f7f7d2f88d6a7e090b7c4c9b8bc.jpg

Oh, and the panel for the controller has been made and trial fitted ready for wiring it in.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• 2 months later...

Just because I haven't posted anything for a while (2 months!) doesn't mean that I've been idle.  Well, not much anyway!  I was banished to the garage while Mrs 5050's sewing sweatshop has been active in the dining room (2 blouses, a skirt, adjusting several pairs of jeans and another skirt etc.).  Now  she's finished I'm able to reassert myself and have brought it all in from the cold.  During my enforced exile I have been able to make and finish a/the fiddle yard and the lighting pelmet and paint most of it using a tin of 'battleship grey undercoat' that I found amongst all the old tins.  It must be many years old but when I (eventually) managed to prise off the lid I found it quite usable.  It has a slight blue cast to it which I find acceptable.  The inside of the 'backscene' board has received a couple of coats of 'Bahama Breeze' emulsion left over from the downstairs toilet we had installed a couple of years ago and the transverse 'strut' (which was only a scrap of waste ply pinned in place) has been replaced by a stiffer length of solid wood screwed to blocks.  This is intended to support some lighting to highlight the back of the layout - and hopefully make coupling up wagons easier!

The pelmet, strut and inside of the fiddle yard have been painted white gloss to reflect light onto the layout etc.  The lighting will be some LED strip that I bought from Aldi some time ago, complete with power supply and 5 metres of lights which seem to give off an excellent amount of illumination.  I will have 2 lengths under the pelmet, 1 under the strut and at least 1 length along the fiddle yard, all linked by speaker cable and in-line plugs and sockets.

Track power to the fiddle yard is by springy brass/phosphor bronze strips as seen in the photo.  Works well and is easy to fit and maintain.

First, the Lighting Pelmet in-situ.  It is secured in place by a couple of over-centre 'case clips' -

Fir454689221_LightingPelmetattached.1.A.jpg.56c91f6c35fcb8c1bdeb25e9e005bad9.jpg

939271679_LightingPelmetattached.3.A.jpg.c9f85c88ffd7389bdbed23f202b3904f.jpg

And with the fiddle yard attached .  The strange 'greenish' area just below the fascia is a shadow from the flash on the blue backscene.  A bit weird I reckon!

1231851244_LightingPelmetattached.2.A.jpg.4ed30905dff08c9f71f97ff60c607657.jpg

And the fiddle yard -

1151091831_FiddleYard.1.A.jpg.4ed463febaadf4465a493a41da3fd7c1.jpg

913502732_FiddleYard.2.A..jpg.41f9640507f38b50620703fcaf286bd8.jpg

For location while attaching, the board rests on the 2 strips on the main board and a 6mm bolt and wingnut, threaded into a 6mm captive threaded fitting, keeps it in place.  The electrical continuity strips can be seen.

Next job is to actually fit the LED strips and then onto the scenics!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

What a fantastic little layout. That trackwork is superb. It's certainly made me think on whether I should hand lay track on my next layout and make it a little more complex than the norm. I've made my own track before, but nothing so daring as this! :)

2 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Any more progress?

Gordon A

Mainly work on the buildings.  TBH, I've been a bit stymied by lack of inspiration but hopefully that is ending!  I'm having to clear out of the dining room for Xmas so the board has to be stashed away 'til New Year but I'll be able to get on with painting the buildings in the meantime.  Can't say that it will be anything like finished for DEFine though!

Maybe a bit better for S4N?

Oh, the lighting is now fitted too.

Which shows up all the dodgy bits...........................

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DanielB said:

This might have already been mentioned, but what are the radii/radiuses of the curves on these sidings, Paul?

I'm curious as to how tight they can be and still be functional without buffer lock?

They're 18" on the tightest/inside curve, based on Peco Setrack geometry.  I've tried pushing 3-link coupling wagons round them and (so far!) not experienced buffer locking.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I'm back!  Well, I haven't really been away and have been working hard to try and get ready for Scalefour North.  Of course it's now cancelled so my hoped for triumphant unveiling ain't occuring.  However, next best thing is some photos so here it is as today lunchtime.  Still plenty to be done but with at least 12 months (unless Expo North does take place in Sept.) i don't think there's any rush.  All you eager beavers who wanted to have a go will have to wait won't they Gordon!

So, in rough order from the left -

The bridge over the entrance.  A gate would be good to prevent certain people from using the fiddle yard as a headshunt. (you know who you are!)

484169344_March192020.1(5).A.jpg.c626db2a18fed810746ed08407c5488a.jpg

The locoshed with oil tank for refueling diesels and water tank for steam.  Pipes need painting, tank needs weathering and stage needs coaling.  This photo used flash (automatic) and it's nowhere near as clear as those that didn't.

1068866274_March192020.1(4).A.jpg.c7401309de69195ba0230262cc32a957.jpg

The two premises next to locoshed.  Steps needed to get onto platform from ground and 'rail' for block and tackle crane to be fitted into gable just under finial.  Gate proudly proclaims that it is the entrance to 'BS'.  Translate that as you will...............

1389594860_March192020.1(3).A.jpg.c637e5bb4d8cb1ee981f2e5552d7adb5.jpg

The half-octagon shed now with (no-glued as yet) roof ventilater. Gutters and downpipes need fitting - but they're rather awkward to cut to size and shape so are in abeyance for now.

342813373_March192020.1(6).A.jpg.d655400528bb7535a46a0f2ed3e1d972.jpg

A general view of the right hand end with the chimney in place.  Concrete needs weathering and the fence needs lengthening.  Preliminary grass growing started but it's a bit lurid so some weathering and foliage required.

1047531603_March192020.1(1).A.jpg.7e98c53e0702c2d27808d9418f6e2b69.jpg

The 'factory' on the right made from Walthers modules, anglicised by raising on a couple of stone courses and a scratchbuilt roof.  The bufferstop is an old Ossett Mouldings one that has been knocking about for years.  It's actually to tall, I expect John made it to fit Streamline, so I'll rub it down on some course sandpaper.  The alternative, now that I have the time, is to build another fiddle yard for this end to make use of the hole and add another dimension to the operating.

78222773_March192020.1(2).A.jpg.15a618a68173d607b8dd849277f94603.jpg

Speaking of operating I know it works electrically but I've not yet actually operated properly with shunting moves etc.  I was hoping to fit a selection of stock with Dinghams but time ran out.  Now it would seem that I will have plenty of time for this.  I've also replaced the Compspeed Rambler controller with my old AGW one built in.  The Compspeed worked OK but locos seemed incredibly noisy compared to the AGW and the lead was actually a bit of a nuisance in practice.

Considering the length of time this has taken to get this far I would say that Mr Ruston would (and probably has!) built 3 layouts in the same time - plus a loco or 3!

As for the next few months of enforced self-isolation I may well un-hibernate (is that a real word?) my HO American layout which has lain dormant for some time.  I can at least sit back at leisure and watch trains circulate for hours whilst catching up on reading all the magazines that have accumulated in my room.

Stay safe!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I may have a fret with some unbuilt Dinghams on. I'll look for it and if there are any left I'll put them in a bag, tied to a long stick, and will reach from the bottom of your drive to your front window with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping to edit the title of this thread to just 'The Chronicles of Braynerts Sidings' and did what it says - click on the title, hold and then edit.  However, once I'd done that and returned, it tells me that 'the value ' is not possible.  What does that mean and why won't it edit?

38 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I was hoping to edit the title of this thread to just 'The Chronicles of Braynerts Sidings' and did what it says - click on the title, hold and then edit.  However, once I'd done that and returned, it tells me that 'the value ' is not possible.  What does that mean and why won't it edit?

Don't worry. I've sorted it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just to show that all is not lost with this thread (but you still won't get to see the layout in the flesh until at least next April at S4North - if it actually happens that is) I have been building locos (Barclay Diesel and Sentinel for those paying attention) and a few other bits and bobs such as the creation in the attached photo thus -

1673182793_ABSTravellingCrane.2.A.jpg.28a650041e9ad7c2878bbc0300048c3a.jpg

This is built from an ABS kit (from c. 1975-80. £2.78 on the box!) and has been 'described' in 'Obituaries - Adrain Swain' as a homage to Adrian who sadly passed away recently.  Originally a GWR prototype, the Braynerts Railway purchased it at a bargain price direct from the Swindon scrapyard (knowing the BR management probably as a back hander!) to function as the part of the Braynerts Railway Engineering and Maintenance Emergencies Division train.  If you read my posts in the Adrian Swain thread you will see that I was experiencing what would politely be called 'slight difficulties' until I took a firm grip upon myself and altered the method of construction to a small extent.  Life was a lot easier once this was done and the result can be seen in the (rather strangely) hued photo.  The kit provides an extremely fine etched chain and hook which I decided wasn't practical so I replaced it with some dark grey thread from Mrs 5050's sewing stash (almost as big as my modelling stash).  The hook was 'created' from parts from her beading 'stash' (ditto) - some flattened brass wire and a suitable bead.  Threading and winding the 'rope' through and around the 'drum' wasn't easy but I got there eventually after scraping the diameter down in-situ and dipping the end of the thread in superglue to stiffen it so it could be pushed through the gap.  Still some work to do with painting the hook, adding bits of wood, rail chairs, tools etc.  but I reckon I need a break from it now to settle my nerves somewhat................

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, mike morley said:

Anything more to report?

Not really I'm afraid.  With the cancellation of Scalefour North this year and again next year then the impetus to get on with it has diminished considerably.  I'm just bumbling along with a variety of odd projects until I'm certain that it will be worth getting on with Braynerts with a specific goal in sight.

However, thanks for interest :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5050 said:

Not really I'm afraid.  With the cancellation of Scalefour North this year and again next year then the impetus to get on with it has diminished considerably.  I'm just bumbling along with a variety of odd projects until I'm certain that it will be worth getting on with Braynerts with a specific goal in sight.

However, thanks for interest :)

Same here with Span Yard, it's funny how we seem to need a target!

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to say not a lot (nothing in fact!) has happened over the past 3 years.  I was invited to S4 North/Crewe in June but have had to give backword due to impending medical treatments that will possibly last for 4-6 months.  I've also got invites to Expo EM North in Wakefield in August and ScaleForum in High Wycombe late September.  What happens with these is yet to be finalised.

One major thing that has happened is that my American layout is no more .  I dismantled it completely last month having sold all the stock late last year.  If anyone is in the market for Streamline Code 100 track and points (at bargain prices!) then PM me!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Those of you with a patient disposition may be pleased to learn the good news.  Braynerts out of the loft, in my layout room and is up and running.  Locos and stock tested and any that weren't fully OK banished to the naughty siding.  There were a couple of repairs to be attended to but these were sorted without (to much.....) anguish.

The bad news is that due to impending medicals, I have withdrawn from S4Crewe/North in June, S4Forum in September and Expo EM Summer/North in August.  I can't at this moment in time be certain that I will be OK for them so better to cancel now than let people down at short notice.  Ultimately I am hoping that I will be fully OK (not before time did I hear someone say??................) and, as a 'banker', I have offered the layout for Wakefield Show at the end of September.  As it is local then very little effort to get it there and (if necessary) co-opt a couple of mercenaries to operate if I can't.

Back to more positive matters I'm also considering making an additional fiddle yard for the right hand end to increase operating potential.  I had already incorporated an opening in the end panel 'just in case'.  Another thought is to make the 2 boards 'mirror image' so that they can swop ends depending on whether I'm operating at home or at a show.  The new one may also have more than one track!!

Lots of work also needed to finish the buildings, ground cover, detailing and maybe some different lighting as I'm finding the LED strips a bit wanting - especially when attempting 3-link coupling!

Photos and progress reports as, if and when I actually have something to report!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

New fiddle yard is made, similar design to the previous but a little bit longer (and still only one track).  I have made it so that both boards can be fitted at either end of the main layout for home or show use.  It was a bit tricky to get my head around the orientation of a couple of elements but I got there in the end.  Open aspect towards the viewer each end is for home use, closed aspect for shows to conceal the fiddling.  I've now made a 'to do' list for all the (relatively) small jobs that will need to be done between now and Wakefield.  It's rather a long list...........................

I will also need to consider fitting Dinghams (or rather their newer iteration with the wider loops) to a selection of stock and locos.  TBH, I'm not looking forward to assembling them as they look rather 'fiddly'.  Fitting them all to the same height also appears a bit frought.  Can anyone offer any advice?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Still here! (no groaning at the back😜)  Getting on with various details including a very low relief bridge at the right hand end exit, 2 more locos 'finished' and a small platform for workers trains positioned above the controls.  I have a set of suitable old coaches that I would like to use.  Better than them sitting in a box on a shelf!  I've also taken a leaf out of Ruston's book and fitted another LED light fitting from B&Q behind the fascia.  This has improved the illumination no end.  The original LED strip seems extremely dull on its own now!  The 2 together give (to me anyway) a more natural overall effect.  Still a LOT of detailing to be added.

I'll try and get some fresh photos taken this next few days.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Sorry to say I didn't make it to Wakefield show at the end of September.  I was having problems with aspects of the layout and my health wasn't to good.  Since then I have been struggling with fitting Dinghams to a selection of wagons (10), a brake van and 2 locos.  I have to say this was not an enjoyable experience as I find them very fiddly to assemble in the 'approved' manner.  Eventually I did my own thing and I do now have them fitted.  Because of the tight curves I have found that I needed to make adaptations to avoid derailments due to sideways forces on the hooks from the loops.  This has been the addition of the replacement loop 'end' with a shaped length of 0.45 brass wire soldered onto the loop with the original 'end bar' removed.  I'll take a photo or two soon.  Getting the height of loops and hooks is a bit of a faff as well and I will still need do some tweeking.  I don't expect 100% reliability but something close to that would be good!  I am not using the magnetic uncoupling system but have a long brass pin with a very small bead (Thanks to Mrs 5050) at the head end.  This is held in a small pin chuck and is used to flip up the loop by hand.

The layout is booked to appear at the DEFine Open Day at the beginning of January at Ripley (🙄) Risley near Derby.  More details to follow!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1