Greenwich couplings - NEM on non-NEM stock?

james nichols

I just ordered some kits to build in OO9 and they do not have an NEM pocket.  Can I still use the NEM style Greenwich couplings on these?  My thought is to just use a bit of epoxy to mount them to the bottom of the wagons using the "box" formed when folding the coupling into shape.

• RMweb Premium

You could probably glue them on or just keep them for NEM boxes and buy some of the non NEM Greenwich couplings to use.

Its suprising how many of each sort you get through.

I usually order the NEM pocket couplings now. The 'lump' that goes in the NEM pocket is formed by folding the coupling shank over a couple of times. Therefore the unformed shank seems to be longer that the other kinds of coupling

I find the longer shank more adaptable for the various projects I do

Richard

I kind of assumed that there would be more gluing surface on a non-folded NEM style, I just didn't know which direction it would go.   If I understand correctly they are longer and fold back towards the coupling wire and not wider (in a T shape) and fold inward.  Seems like the longer would be much easier to adapt to any type mounting. 

I will order some of the NEM style assuming I can use them on anything.

Thanks for the information everyone.  

I have used the Greenwich couplings on the locos and stock of my "O9" layouts. Using the standard version I have fitted them by gluing AND inserting a pin through one of the holes in the shank. I note that the NEM version does not have holes in the shank.

This comment is not a criticism of the NEM type.

CP