LB&SCR carriages volume 3: bogie carriages

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

Going to the printer today, Volume 3 in the series of books on LB&SCR carriages. This volume, being published by the HMRS, covers bogie carriages from 1897 to 1907 and is by Ian White.

It should hit the shops and the HMRS website in about six weeks.

The first two volumes were published by Kestrel. The HMRS plans to publish a fourth volume covering Bogie stock 1906 to 1924, including Pullmans, 1875 to 1922 in a couple of years.

Jonathan

volume 3 cover for promotion.pdf

Edited by corneliuslundie
Typos corrected
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hurrah!

It is rare indeed to see such books produced in this day and age; the likes of Weddell's LSWR and Dow's Midland carriage volumes are otherwise behind us. 

The first two volumes were superb, essential for Brighton fans and anyone interested in carriage development.  I could not praise these volumes highly enough, and I am really pleased to note the contents of the third and fourth volumes.  

These are an essential purchase.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/03/2019 at 09:46, Edwardian said:

It is rare indeed to see such books produced in this day and age; the likes of Weddell's LSWR and Dow's Midland carriage volumes are otherwise behind us. 

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about the current health of the diagram-based illustrated reference work. True the major lines - London & North Western, Midland, and Great Western - have been pretty much "complete" for some time but there has been steady progress on the second-rank lines, notably the Caledonian and Great Northern, thanks to the efforts of the members of the respective line societies. A lot of the GNR material is only available to members of the GNRSoc- it's not a registered charity so unlike the LNWRSoc or MRSoc has no public benefit obligation. (Some might say, like company, like society...)

Members of other Line Societies will no doubt be along to draw attention to their wares.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

Just who determined this?

Ultimately, the companies themselves in their Annual Returns.

But hey, that was all a long time ago and let's focus instead on the achievements of the great Dugald and those who followed the traditions he established on the North British, Caledonian, and even the London and South Western - though as an Ayrshireman he was born in 'Sou West territory!

Thanks.  Perhaps my point clumsily made was, in terms of development of carriages none of those that went in to the Grouping should be considered second string - only for fear that in some way it pushes the history and the importance of its place someway down the line. Anyway here's to more books on carriages.  Of course, having worked in the former Drawing Office, I'd thoroughly recommend Caledonian Railway Carriages by Mike Williams and published by Lightmoor!

Bob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My copy arrived direct from the printer today so they should be delivered to the HMRS and available shortly, hopefully by the end of next week.

Pruce £29.95 + p&p, reduced prices for HMRS members

240 pages in nine chapters plus appendices,

Extensive references and an index.

There are no less than 143 black and white plates, 123 line diagrams – mostly official LB&SCR drawings from the HMRS’s own drawings collection, and 86 tables covering all the relevant stock in detail.

Contents:

Acknowledgements
Introduction
Chapter 1. The LB&SCR Bogie Carriage – Drawings and Structures 
Chapter 2. Bogie and Other 8-wheeled Carriages Before 1890
Chapter 3. Arc Roofed Main Line Carriages, 1894–1905
Chapter 4. Arc Roofed Suburban Set Carriages, 1896–1900
Chapter 5. Royal and other Clerestory Carriages, 1897–1898
Chapter 6. Standard Elliptical Roofed Carriages, 1905–1907
Chapter 7. The City Limited Carriages, 1906–1907
Chapter 8. Motor Trains – 1; Elliptical Roofed Trailers, and Steam and Petrol Motor Cars, 1905–1907
Chapter 9. Supplement to Volumes 1 and 2
Appendix 1. Drawing Catalogue
Appendix 2. Bogie and Other 8-wheeled Carriages Before 1890; running numbers
Appendix 3. Arc Roofed Main Line Carriages, 1894–1905; specification of D67/161; running numbers
Appendix 4. Arc Roofed Suburban Set Carriages, 1896–1900; running numbers
Appendix 5. Royal and other Clerestory Carriages, 1897–1898; running numbers
Appendix 6. Standard Elliptical Roofed Carriages, 1905–1907; running numbers
Appendix 7. The City Limited Carriages, 1906–1907; running numbers
Appendix 8. Motor Trains – 1: Elliptical Roofed Trailers, and Steam and Petrol Motor Cars, 1905-1907; running numbers
References
Indices to Diagram Numbers
Alphabetical Index

Order at www.hmrs.org.uk once it is available and on the site.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This can now be purchased from the HMRS website www.hmrs.org

Apologies for the delay but the book arrived earlier than expected at a time when our volunteer sales team had booked a holiday, and it was then necessary to order suitable packaging.

Enjoy.

Jonathan

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:12, Edwardian said:

Ordered!

Thanks, Jonathan

As have I !

Looking forward to receiving this as I already have Vols. 1 and 2.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1