Thompson BZ 6 wheel brake van

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roger

I'm ordering some more etches this weekend, so about two to three weeks should see it ready to go. The only other thing I am waiting for is the roof profiles which I ordered from Dart Castings, but they sometimes take ages to deliver stuff.

Ian

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Dave Bradwell is/was allegedly going to do one of these, though it hasn't appeared yet....

Dave is doing one. He had a nearly finished test etch at Scalefour North last year and it looked excellent with an inovative method of springing the centre axle. Not sure how close to release it is though. 

Justin

• Informative/Useful 2

On 16/03/2019 at 10:57, 57xx said:

Snooze you lose.

I don't suppose Dave will be remotely bothered; it's not exactly a commercial enterprise, and just like Ian, it'll be something he wants to do. I've enjoyed building kits from both. Neither will be able to - or would want to, necessarily - retire to the Maldives on the proceeds. 

Adam

Edited by Adam
Grammar and spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Adam said:

I don't suppose Dave will be remotely bothered; it's not exactly a commercial enterprise, and just like Ian, it'll be something he wants to do. I've enjoyed building kits from both. Neither will be able - or would want too, necessarily - retire to the Maldives on the proceeds. 

Adam

Dave will be at Scalefour North in 3 weeks time. I am demonstrating there myself this year so I'll have a chat with him. I don't know if this is Dave's business or like me he just does it for enjoyment. As you say, you never earn enough to make a decent living out of it. I am quite happy if I break even on a project and that's about all that happens with most of them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I remember a blue BZ being shunted around York station by an 08 in 1975, even then it looked archaic, mind you there was a black painted ED Gresley coach in one of the north bay platforms too. Happy days [no camera back then].

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Anything Thompson is too late for me, but that 6 wheel underframe arrangement looks great! I'm hoping to get some 6 wheel GE coaches at some point - they will likely be body only, is the W irons etc. something you may be able to do as a standalone kit?

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2019 at 11:23, Adam said:

I don't suppose Dave will be remotely bothered; it's not exactly a commercial enterprise, and just like Ian, it'll be something he wants to do. I've enjoyed building kits from both. Neither will be able - or would want too, necessarily - retire to the Maldives on the proceeds. 

Adam, tongue was firmly in cheek. I'm more than well aware that Ian is genuinely making these kits for his own use/enjoyment and sharing what he creates with others (I did after all help with his O33 kit), not running a business. Don't know about Dave, but either way, it was not a dig. Merely a poke at the frothing going on over in the Hornby section (and others) at the moment.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Anything Thompson is too late for me, but that 6 wheel underframe arrangement looks great! I'm hoping to get some 6 wheel GE coaches at some point - they will likely be body only, is the W irons etc. something you may be able to do as a standalone kit?

The W irons (axleguards) are on the nickel silver etch along with most of the rest of the chassis parts but the solebars are on the brass etch so you would need to make those from L section brass. The wheelbase is 10'6" x 10'6", you could cut the pieces up to adjust the wheelbase, but it would be a bit messy. As the springs are behind the Axleguards I have made it a fold back etch so they automatically align themselves when you fold them as you can see here.

_MG_4296b.jpg.e070e9b08de84240e74620cdeb2c1ef4.jpg

They sit behind the solebar as in this photo.

_MG_4321b.jpg.bd8916e27b72d1a82a8fbd2ea2241df3.jpg

The parts for the running chassis are also part of the nickel silver etch as well so you could probably utilise those as well.

_MG_4553b.jpg.dd67790082d733beaab2ec18540499b4.jpg

I assume you will be using cast springs and axleboxes so the fold up part of the Axlebox would probably be best just cut off.

I can supply the nickel silver etch as a separate item if you would like to use it for your scratchbuilds.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

One for me, please, Ian.

O.K. Jonathan, you are on the list. It was nice to meet you at Wakefield last year, loved the layout.

Ian

• Thanks 1