Thompson BZ 6 wheel brake van

• RMweb Premium

Nope, when I have done that in the past, the model didn’t even cover the cost of developing it. There is a lot in the BZ so it would be an expensive model to produce. 

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I've just realised I haven't posted any photos of the ends of the van. I have temporarily fitted the window frame with the bars for the photo, it is just held in with BluTak as it needs to be painted separately from the body. The frame carries the glazing on the outside and will be glued in place once the body is painted.

_MG_4644b.jpg.5d3ddac4b18663a9bc05fa6e1a134eac.jpg

The frame itself is a simple 'fold up' with 0.3mm wire for the bars.

_MG_4592b.jpg.0e2fa79097f6a0107037d0476083dacc.jpg

_MG_4591b.jpg.b0e1ee182a8bd04674164e26619a9364.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get a bit of paint onto the second test build van over the last couple of days. I need to weather it down a bit then I can fit the glazing, once that's done this one will be finished. 

An update for the members who have requested a kit, I have now received most of the parts I needed from Dart castings, there was a shortage in the shipment, but I should receive those items in a couple of days. Hopefully I will get the etches next Thursday or Friday. Once I have everything and I am happy with the etches, I will contact all of those who want a kit.

Here is a photo of the one I have painted, the number I have chosen is purely random but since these vans went all over the country I didn't really need to select a specific number to suit the  traffic on the layout.

I used the HMRS Pressfix decals for this one as John Isherwood (Cambridge Custom Transfers) doesn't do a sheet for these vans.

_MG_4651b.jpg.357c05d536f534e3d6deed609f59b09e.jpg

Ian

Edited by macgeordie
Irrelevant text removed
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get the glazing fitted today. I started by just using some material from an Overhead Projector Film which is about 0.2mm thick. Once I had started to try to cut it to shape I came to the conclusion getting the shape consistent was going to be a pain in the posterier so I decided to draw it up then print it onto some Inkjet OHP film. I also tried using Laserjet OHP film but it was much thicker and didn't seem to be very clear once it had been through the printer so I discarded it. 

I glued the pieces in place with Deluxe material Glue 'n' Glaze but Microscale Micro Kristal Klear would probably do equally well. You have to be a bit careful to cut the pieces to the printed lines quite accurately as there isn't a lot of room for maneuver when the piece is in place. 

I think I will supply this printed glazing with the kit as trying to cut it freehand is not easy.

_MG_4658b.jpg.59233ce5b75d0388fe0a533a60f8a525.jpg

_MG_4663b.jpg.c2f85d349653905fd964978286ea9f27.jpg

Once in place it doesn't look bad at all. You need to be careful where you put the adhesive so it doesn't leach up into the visible area which is why the pieces have a large 'lower section' and this is the only place the adhesive needs to go.  Even though both of the adhesives mentioned will dry clear, it will still be visible if you get any on the areas which cover the window opening so this method is in my opinion a better solution.

Ian

Edited by macgeordie
Typo rectified
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing Microsol Klear is probably just the same as Johnson's Klear? As the latter is often used for fixing glazing and also making it appear clearer, it sounds like an ideal fixative here.

So how often did these stray onto GWR metals...?  :angel:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I'm guessing Microsol Klear is probably just the same as Johnson's Klear? As the latter is often used for fixing glazing and also making it appear clearer, it sounds like an ideal fixative here.

So how often did these stray onto GWR metals...?  :angel:

GWR metals or ex-GWR metals...?:diablo_mini:

Johnson's Klear is a floor sealant designed to stop your kitchen or bathroom tiles getting stained. Basically, it's a kind of varnish.

Liquids like Microsol Klear, sold specifically for modelling purposes, are generally a very pure form of PVA wood glue, minus the fillers etc. which help fill gaps in joints but which make the builders' stuff cloudy, at best, opaque in more extreme cases.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

As per my question, GWR metals. It was slightly rhetorical, it's just such a nice looking kit. Thanks for the WR pics chaps.

I know exactly what Johnson Klear is, I have a couple of bottles stashed away. I also know how modellers in other arenas use it for purposes other than protecting their kitchen floor tiles... ;)

Thanks for the clarification on Microscale Klear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Gents

I just thought I'd better give everybody who has requested a kit an update. I received the etches late yesterday and after going through them today, I have discovered that one of the sheets has been produced in the wrong thickness of material. I have requested the etchers supply a new set of sheets in the correct thickness, but it is likely that they will to take a couple of weeks to arrive. I can only apologise for the delay, but I will be in touch with all of those who are on the list as soon as I get the replacement parts.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 8

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 26power said:

Your kit features in "Small Suppliers Forum" in the latest MRJ, No. 270.  Includes prices and contact details, so might prompt further orders!

Yes, I knew it was going to be in MRJ and I have already had a couple of requests for kits but I can only explain the situation to them at the moment. I just hope that it doesn’t take too long to get the replacement etches. 

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Ian, I hope you don't mind discussion of what is probably a competitor's product, but at S4N we were talking about the MARC Models BZ kit.  I have found a picture of mine - I don't seem to have taken many - which I attach.

bzvb.JPG.ff4c48afd8edab6ca10752f9c21cb8da.JPG

It was one of the first etched kits I built and as I recall the instructions were sketchy, especially around the underframe details.  I think it had been newly released at the time.

Everyone seems to know about the apparently scathing review it received, but was it ever published?

• Like 1

On 29/03/2019 at 17:09, macgeordie said:

I managed to get a bit of paint onto the second test build van over the last couple of days.

_MG_4651b.jpg.357c05d536f534e3d6deed609f59b09e.jpg

Ian

Ian,

I'd have thought that the BZ in crimson (and in maroon) would have had black ends.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

Good evening 'cctransuk', Interesting thought but as these vehicles being built at Stratford I would have thought that Derby and Crewe would be conveniently ignored when it came to liveries. I don't think the LT&SR had that much influence at Stratford! However, I did witness several of these vehicles in traffic in the mid to late sixties plus beyond and what struck me about these vans in particular was the 'archaic' 'W' iron's used in the suspension system of them which I considered very 'Gooch broad gauge era'  trickled down from the Swindon archives!  Loved them!  Nevertheless I do not recall any of these vehicles with black ends and maroon bodywork but I could be corrected. Most of them I remember were filthy but not so mucky that a wet finger couldn't give us a clue of the livery and that includes the carriage ends. However I do have three of 'macgeordies' superb etched kits on order, from Scalefour North where I examined an example of the prototype model, and was suitably impressed and I am really looking forward to the build.  Nighty night. HL.  

Edited by harry lamb

9 hours ago, harry lamb said:

Good evening 'cctransuk', Interesting thought but as these vehicles being built at Stratford I would have thought that Derby and Crewe would be conveniently ignored when it came to liveries. I don't think the LT&SR had that much influence at Stratford! However, I did witness several of these vehicles in traffic in the mid to late sixties plus beyond and what struck me about these vans in particular was the 'archaic' 'W' iron's used in the suspension system of them which I considered very 'Gooch broad gauge era'  trickled down from the Swindon archives!  Loved them!  Nevertheless I do not recall any of these vehicles with black ends and maroon bodywork but I could be corrected. Most of them I remember were filthy but not so mucky that a wet finger couldn't give us a clue of the livery and that includes the carriage ends. However I do have three of 'macgeordies' superb etched kits on order, from Scalefour North where I examined an example of the prototype model, and was suitably impressed and I am really looking forward to the build.  Nighty night. HL.  

Harry,

I do sign using my name - the 'cctransuk' is only there as an RMweb requirement.

My BZ was built years ago from a set of Comet Coaches sides and ends - the rest was scratchbuilt, and the outside W-irons were 'fun'.

It does have black ends!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I was supposed to be modelling a post 1962 version which is why I did the ends in maroon but with hindsight, black ends probably would have been more appropriate. Next time I have a spraying session I might alter it. I'm building a few more anyway so I will probably do them all together.

Sorry for the delay in getting the kits out to everybody but I'm still waiting for parts and etches to arrive. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2019 at 17:36, jwealleans said:

It was one of the first etched kits I built and as I recall the instructions were sketchy, especially around the underframe details.  I think it had been newly released at the time.

Everyone seems to know about the apparently scathing review it received, but was it ever published?

It looks like a nicely made model Jonathan, I assume you sourced the 'J' hangers etc from an alternative source as I believe they didn't come with the kit although I might be wrong on that point. I know the review was never published in MRJ because the person building it had so many issues with it but it may well have been published in another magazine.

Ian