Dapol Megafret Container Wagons

justin1985

It seems like both the N gauge and OO versions of the Dapol Megafret have part of the side frames moulded onto the bogies, so the whole side swings out unprototypically. 

I'm sure I saw a post here, or a blog, where someone had successfully cut away the bogie sides and stuck them onto the wagon frames, with the bogies able to swing enough for relatively generous curves inside them. But I can't find this online anywhere. Any pointers?

I don't own any of these yet, but I see they're available again in N Gauge, and I recently picked up some cheap 45' containers from a bits box at an exhibition, so tempted to get some of these wagons and give them a try, if they can be improved.

Justin

Edited by justin1985
Typo

Cheers JDW...yeah I've done some mods making new buffer beam details (buffers etc) and new skirts from plasticard. The model still isn’t finished though! Below is a link to the start of the project (half way down the post):

And if you search "megafret" or "ika" it should bring the rest of the posts up. I made new skirts, but Mick (newbryford) reused the originals. This may work fine if you don’t intend to do any other detailing, but I knew a whole repaint would be in order so I wasn't fussed about colour matching:

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Dapol have just announced 3 new OO gauge versions of these models. 2 pristine and 1 weathered. 

All ordered to add to my others.  I wish they had also issued them in EWS livery also.

• RMweb Premium

EWS ones are FKAs, whilst similar they’re not the same as the IKAs. 

Interested in the bogie/skirt mod, tempted to try that. I just wish they weighed a bit more, very ‘flighty’ in N, particularly when unloaded. 

• Informative/Useful 1