My DCC journey

Tallpaul69

17 hours ago, Phil S said:

Now you need to match the sound effects with the matching action 8-) .... some years ago, Roco, in their new-year-new -products video had a station with animated Arrival/Departure LED sign board depicting the trains and platforms, and a group of moving people on the platform  .... long before Train-Techs (more compact) platform signs or Massoth's similar G Scale on-board Train animated destination boards  (search on LGB Allegra )

(Alternatives to using Train Tech's platform display is to use small OLED display panels of 1" or less ... and run them from a RaspberryPi or similar / Picaxe)

That is a good idea, if a little complicated!

At present I can only run items on a 6ft test track, so the above ideas are not possible.

I hope today to record a short video of the 122, but as I am just getting started on uploading videos via YouTube, it might be a while before you can view it!

Meanwhile, I am trying to link an earlier video of my TTS fitted Castle to this post, which may or may not work!!-

Nothing happened, obviously doing something wrong!-back to the drawing board?

Cheers

Pau

2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

That is a good idea, if a little complicated!

At present I can only run items on a 6ft test track, so the above ideas are not possible.

I hope today to record a short video of the 122, but as I am just getting started on uploading videos via YouTube, it might be a while before you can view it!

Meanwhile, I am trying to link an earlier video of my TTS fitted Castle to this post, which may or may not work!!-

Nothing happened, obviously doing something wrong!-back to the drawing board?

Cheers

Paul

Here is the next stage of loading my video!

So, Having got a YouTube account set up, I am now going to try uploading for you all a short video of my TTS Castle and Hornby Sound Vent van on my (very) temporary test track on our dining table!

This is only my second attempt at a model video, so there is more sound than model movement, as I found it difficult to control the models and the iPhone at the same time!

You can find the video in YouTube at:- youtu.be/DgK_KlQ5xhk

Hope this works?

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1

Nice idea and I like the rolling road idea too, my thoughts re using the pasting table was it can be moved easily if required and this will end up as a programing and test track.( the track would be mounted onto a board rather than direct to my wallpaper table just in case it does need to be used for it's manufactured purpose).

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Code 55 is definitely small scale and raises challenges that are nothing to do with DCC :)

i would suggest the you you look at live frogs from the start, especially as you want this to be a learning experience. They will provide much better running for the layout and best gain the knowledge now.

I agree with it being small scale but any layout will have to be n gauge as I have very limited room. I thought it better to start in the scale I will eventually use. BTW, my post does mention unifrog points, so I assumed that everyone would realise that I intended to use live frogs. 

The comment about sizes wasn't referring to the scale, but the code 55 which doesn't leave any room for error due to the visible height at 1.3mm leaving not a lot of space to work with and the frog is dead on a unifrog point is dead unless you modify it, hence my suggestion.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:36, WIMorrison said:

The comment about sizes wasn't referring to the scale, but the code 55 which doesn't leave any room for error due to the visible height at 1.3mm leaving not a lot of space to work with and the frog is dead on a unifrog point is dead unless you modify it, hence my suggestion.

Can I politely suggest that the discussion about N gauge, code 55 etc., is not relevant to the main thrust of the thread which is about my DCC journey in 00 gauge?

Sorry, but it is difficult enough keeping up with the various issues on 00 aired here, I for one don't need added complications!

Best regards

Paul

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:10, RedgateModels said:

Is this what you want?

Re Alan and Redgate models postings on my Video via YouTube, the posting there was Public, so is there still an issue on accessing this?

Can Redgate suggest how he accessed it so Alan (and anyone else having access trouble), can see how he did it?

Many thanks

Best regards

Paul 

Although the link in your post isn't working, it's possible to copy and paste the details into a browser and access the video that way.  It's difficult to describe how to make the link from within YouTube so it can be pasted elsewhere - the reason  it's difficult is because it depends on what computer or tablet you're using when taking the YouTube link.

If you can say eg if it's a windows PC you are using then I, or one of us, can write up a short instruction on how to make a link.  

Cheers..Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:29, Alan Kettlewell said:

Although the link in your post isn't working, it's possible to copy and paste the details into a browser and access the video that way.  It's difficult to describe how to make the link from within YouTube so it can be pasted elsewhere - the reason  it's difficult is because it depends on what computer or tablet you're using when taking the YouTube link.

If you can say eg if it's a windows PC you are using then I, or one of us, can write up a short instruction on how to make a link.  

Cheers..Alan

Thanks Alan,

I am using a Dell Laptop running Windows 10.

A set of instructions to cure this problem will be much appreciated!

Please bear in mind I have only just started on YouTube?

Best regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Goodo, I use Windows 10 too.  There's a number of ways to do it.  Here's 3 ways shown with screenshots from my YouTube, I've added some notes.  

Assuming you are logged in to your YouTube channel:

Option 1:  Using the link from the browser...

1645183539_YouTube1.png.5c29081dde7c12c6b5193d02dd36aba2.png

Option 2:  Using the link from the video:

401979093_YouTube2.png.7a2f36cf82f1ea036293c51594a333a3.png

Option 3:  If you opt to use the You Tube 'Beta' version:

743550229_YouTube3.png.c6bac564a5743b9fae515cc5975347fd.png

Then ...

555040572_YouTube4.png.40242ed290a2d0b1b5029cf266c983d9.png

Basically you need to copy the URL link to the video then paste it in to your post in the forum.  I usually open my new post in the forum first then go and copy the link I want to use.  If you don't know already, you can easily do copy and paste actions using the combination keys 'Ctrl+C' and 'Ctrl+V'.  By the way this can only work if you have set your video to 'Public' not 'Private'.

I hope this helps, give it a go.

Cheers … Alan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:49, Tallpaul69 said:

Thanks Alan,

I will try what you suggest tomorrow when I will have time to take it one step at a time!

Best regards

Paul

Here goes with Alan's method1:-

Thanks Alan, seems to work?

Cheers

Paul

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:00, Harlequin said:

End to end test tracks can be a bit limiting for playing with DCC settings.

I had a test rig on my dining table for a few months but the constant stop start and inability to get anything up to speed (safely) very quickly became annoying. So I built a small roundy-round and equipped it with a Pi-Sprog so that I can delve into DCC in more detail and without having to worry about locos crashing!

post-32492-0-73663200-1537628763_thumb.jpgblogentry-32492-0-39908300-1539267779_thumb.jpg

(An alternative would be to obtain a rolling road.)

Agreed Phil,

As recorded earlier in this thread I had intended a very smaii test roundy-round in the corn. However the space was just too tight so I have just started a simple roundy-round on a 5Ft x 3ft 3ins board sitting on a large desk that currently sits in one corner of the room in which my layout will be built.

It will be just a single track second radius affair, with single loops each side and a few sidings. 

I will update progress over the coming weeks, and maybe manage to upload a video of it! However timetabling for Lower Thames Valley is also a priority, so with that and Easter family commitments, don't hold your breathe.

Happy modelling.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:31, Tallpaul69 said:

Agreed Phil,

As recorded earlier in this thread I had intended a very smaii test roundy-round in the corn. However the space was just too tight so I have just started a simple roundy-round on a 5Ft x 3ft 3ins board sitting on a large desk that currently sits in one corner of the room in which my layout will be built.

It will be just a single track second radius affair, with single loops each side and a few sidings. 

I will update progress over the coming weeks, and maybe manage to upload a video of it! However timetabling for Lower Thames Valley is also a priority, so with that and Easter family commitments, don't hold your breathe.

Happy modelling.

Cheers

Paul

Well, I am afraid my comment about not holding your breathe for reports on my progress was well advised!

I did make a start on a roundy-round test track, but progress has been delayed due to a week ago discovering that a Hornby Class 31 Skinhead in BR Green that I wanted to be sound fitted with a Hornby TTS chip to compare with a class 122 with a Zimo chip, had the dreaded Mazak Rot!

So I then had to rapidly find 3 other Class 31s I had in other liveries and check them out. Unfortunately two of them have also got the Rot. Light at the end of the tunnel was the coming into stock at my local model shop of a new Green liveried Skinhead, so that is now being chipped. An expense I could have done without.

I have since found the list on the RM Web of the Rot suspects, so now have another six or so models to unpack and check out.

Hopefully this week, I can complete the testing of the  roundy-round and next week get to making a video for all of you. If I am lucky, I might get to make some progress on my timetabling work as well!

Best regards

Happy modelling

Paul

P.S.:- I know a class 31 is different to a class 122, but I did not want two sound fitted versions of any diesel that there is a TTS chip for, so for me it was a sensible compromise.  

Cheers

Coincidence (linked to the availability of Class 31 decoders?) ... but I have just been converting my 31's to TTS, and also found 2 out 5 with the rot..     When converting these, I have been making the lighting connections via micromini JST connectors to replace the original spring contacts which in turn needed the body to be retained by the screws - instead of just being 'dropped on'. Although  there are several versions of the metalwork, I have removed their pcb and unwanted lugs to enable a large rectangular speaker to be fitted in each case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, apologies for no update for a couple of weeks, but a number of unplanned things both modelling and family/household got in the way!

Anyway, I have now able to test my old DC locos, as well as my newly converted DCC locos, having completed the roundy-round test track and provided it with both DC and DCC power, although switching between the two is not easy.

So can anyone tell me if I have separate power systems for DC and DCC, plugged into separate power sockets is it sufficient protection to switch which ever is not in use off at the socket and the power unit , or should I , as I am currently doing disconnect the system not being used from the tracks?

I realise I need to only have one type of locos, either DC or DCC, on the test track at one time according to which power system is being powered.

Having now got over my Class 31 Mayzak rot at the expense of a new class 31, I still need to test other classes highlighted on the rot list such as Bachmann class 42s, Hornby Class 50s and steam class 75xxx and MNs/WCs/WC 4-6-0s

The latest problem is the high current for Lima motors. I had tested several Lima locos and wanted a sound conversion on a GW AEC Parcels railcar as there seems little prospect of a new model unlike the passenger cars where I will have to be patient and save up for the new Heljan version. As the model ran wellI thought it ok, but on testing my model shop advised that it was drawing 1.1 amps which they thought too close to the 1.2 amp limit for Zimo chips, having had examples blow in the past.

So the two alternatives are :-

1) go for a second hand Heljan class 128 in BR green, which vehicle took over from the W34W AEC parcels car in the Thames Valley. This should convert to DCC sound ok.

2) buy a Hornby updated Lima GWR passenger car and swap to its chasss the body for the parcels car giving the parcels car a modern mechanism. This might be cheaper than 1) above provided Hornby have left the fixings between car body and chassis unchanged.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Many thanks

Best regards

Paul 

Connect the track to the common terminals on a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch and DCC to one set of switched terminals and DC to the other. When you want to change simply throw the switch and perfect changeover - just ensure that the switch is also break before make (which most are) :)

look on ebay or 'freewedbstore' for 'susu' motors  .... about 5-6gbp each includong postage from finland !  'cd drive' style motors as replacements for fleischmann or lima.

an idea sold earlier by 'modeltorque' who sold them with mounting moulding and voltage dropping components.

or search on lima replacement motors   or fleischmann replacement motors.

DO NOT have your (unpowered) dc and dcc systems connected as all-but ancient rheostat designs are unlikely to have voltage fed backinto them from the layout !!!    - surely a simple common plug and socket is easy to arrange, or  a DPDT changeover switch is not too difficult to arrange ??

(The same smoke effect can be obtained on 2-loop analogue layouts when a crossover path is created and a loco bridges the 2 circuits ... a simple idea that may have worked okay with passive  circuits and smooth voltages but not recommended for modern electronic controllers... whether 'feedback' types or not!)

Edited by Phil S
added search options

Thanks for your ideas Guys,

Firstly re the switchover from DC to DCC:-

The duel control version of the test track is not a long term set up, just until I have tested all my existing locos and then it will be purely DCC so doesn't have a control box or anywhere to house a switch except by making such a box up and not sure it is worth the effort!

Comments re feed back confirm my thoughts, so thanks for that.

Secondly, re lima motor replacement:-

I am afraid I am not into intricate model bashing, so will have to take a safer but possibly more expensive route unless I find someone to do motor replacement for me!

I know you will say, you will love it once you try, but I have plenty to keep me occupied without starting more modelling work, that might divert me from main objectives (i.e. I have to keep my eye on the bigger modelling picture!). Thanks anyway.

Cheers

Paul  

21 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

The latest problem is the high current for Lima motors. I had tested several Lima locos and wanted a sound conversion on a GW AEC Parcels railcar as there seems little prospect of a new model unlike the passenger cars where I will have to be patient and save up for the new Heljan version. As the model ran wellI thought it ok, but on testing my model shop advised that it was drawing 1.1 amps which they thought too close to the 1.2 amp limit for Zimo chips, having had examples blow in the past.

So the two alternatives are :-

1) go for a second hand Heljan class 128 in BR green, which vehicle took over from the W34W AEC parcels car in the Thames Valley. This should convert to DCC sound ok.

2) buy a Hornby updated Lima GWR passenger car and swap to its chasss the body for the parcels car giving the parcels car a modern mechanism. This might be cheaper than 1) above provided Hornby have left the fixings between car body and chassis unchanged.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Many thanks

Best regards

Paul 

The Hornby motor bogie will run considerably better than the Lima one

I believe some people have had success replacing the Lima ringfield motor in the motorbogie with a CD drive motor

• Like 1

i too have replaced lima chassis - with default pickup only on one side of each bogie, with a moe recent Hornby verson with smaller motor unit nem pocket couplings  and all wheel pickup...  but unfortunately all magnetic object pickup too !!! 8-0  ... so put a piece of insulating tape  over the motor terminals which are rather unprotecte on the side of the motor, and by the motor magnets ... so anything magnetic nearby is attracted and held acrodss the terminals resulting in a dead decoder !!!!  ... tape is a simple problem avoidance 8-)

the only lima chassis i have retained are those i bought ultrascale wheels for !!! .. so they have the modeltorque/susu replacements

but ultrascale wheels have no grip.

Modifying a BigBoy, I have split the drive into 2 halves, and used a susu motor for each ... less space in the cab, but a bit fiddly for the middle because the shafts are off centre .. i had to reangle the centre casting to give the motor a straight shaft.

Edited by Phil S
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

How time flies when you are enjoying yourself (or coping with a string of problems!)

So the current state of play is as follows:-

1) The high current consumption of Lima motors

I have now reached the stage where I have concluded that the only way I can make DCC use of any of my Lima models is to find Hornby chassis for those that Hornby have updated. One Lima class 121 /2 has been successfully dealt with using a Hornby version chassis that I bought some years ago with the intention of building a MTK model. I had sold the kit when the Dapol model came out, but kept the chassis.

2) Use of TTS chips.

Now have several TTS locos and several Zimo chipped Locos both steam and diesel. I am finding more about their capabilities now that my roundy round test track is operational. I expected that I would find the TTS steam inferior to the Zimo, but this is not the case so far. I have been able to live with only having two functions available at a time on the TTS. Watch this space...…

3) The Mazak rot saga.

Have still to check my SR fleet for problems, this has gone to the back burner while I deal with the Lima motor problem.

I will now try to update at least once a week, and next week show some other things I have been doing on the DCC front.

Enjoy your modelling!

Best regards

Paul