My DCC journey

Tallpaul69

Hi All,
It is over 2 months since my last update, apologies for the long silence!
Currently working on chipping locos, and finalizing layout plan.
Since starting on sound chip fitting I have concluded that I will sound fit more locos than I first thought which increases the cost.
So I am looking at using the Hornby TTS rather than £100 sound chips in a number of locos that they were not originally aimed for, such as fitting them to other manufacturers locos and to different types of loco than they were designated for.

There are some nonos in this.
Not a good idea to fit 2 cylinder sound in three cylinder locos or Great Western loco chips in other company locos (or vise versa!!).

I have managed to find some Hornby chassis for my Lima bodies although sometimes I have had to buy a whole loco, but some liveries are quite cheap. 

I have also replaced a couple of Hornby and Bachmann locos that were not capable of being chipped with more modern versions of them that are capable of being chipped.

There are two things I would appreciate info on:-

1) Did Lima fit the 5 pole motor from their 00 class 67 to any other UK outline 00 loco?

2) Is there any Hornby TTS diesel loco  chip that sounds right in an 00 first or second generation DMU?

I will try to keep you informed of how I get on.

I will aim not to be too ambitious in this after failing to keep info flowing in the past. So I hope to do a monthly update.

Best regards
Paul

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 15:05, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,
It is over 2 months since my last update, apologies for the long silence!
Currently working on chipping locos, and finalizing layout plan.
Since starting on sound chip fitting I have concluded that I will sound fit more locos than I first thought which increases the cost.
So I am looking at using the Hornby TTS rather than £100 sound chips in a number of locos that they were not originally aimed for, such as fitting them to other manufacturers locos and to different types of loco than they were designated for.

There are some nonos in this.
Not a good idea to fit 2 cylinder sound in three cylinder locos or Great Western loco chips in other company locos (or vise versa!!).

I have managed to find some Hornby chassis for my Lima bodies although sometimes I have had to buy a whole loco, but some liveries are quite cheap. 

I have also replaced a couple of Hornby and Bachmann locos that were not capable of being chipped with more modern versions of them that are capable of being chipped.

There are two things I would appreciate info on:-

1) Did Lima fit the 5 pole motor from their 00 class 67 to any other UK outline 00 loco?

2) Is there any Hornby TTS diesel loco  chip that sounds right in an 00 first or second generation DMU?

I will try to keep you informed of how I get on.

I will aim not to be too ambitious in this after failing to keep info flowing in the past. So I hope to do a monthly update.

Best regards
Paul

Hi All,

So far, so good, here is the first of my monthly updates:-

I have managed to locate a couple of people who can do  maintenance/re motor/chipping of my Lima locos and units. I have one back after treatment and while there is still some noise from the gears, it does seem to run quite well. I am about to send off a HST pair for treatment including TTS sound modules. I will post how I get on.

I had been debating whether to change the "modern" version of my layout from running c2007 to c2016.

The original decision was made some 10 years ago in 2009. However I really like the new 800 series sets and the new GWR livery.

So I have taken the plunge! This means some of my locos and units bought over the last ten years or so are in obsolete liveries. So I have been going through these planning which to sell and which to have re painted (Spray painting is not one of my skills!).

I have managed to find someone who can do the work at a rate I can live with and whose results look good. The first loco, a class 58 in  Virgin livery will be sent off this week to return in DRS Large Compass colours. Again, I will post the results on it s return.

Regarding my questions in the above post, it seems that the only Lima locos that did not get the standard pancake motor apart from the Class 67s were later class 20s.

I found someone who put a class 31 TTS in a class 105 DMU, and the posted video sounded reasonable. I am considering whether the difference between seamless sound of a loco with electric transmission and the gear changes of the DMU is an acceptable compromise given that my layout will not have a station so the DMUs will mainly pass through and would not have needed to do gear changes. The jury is still out on this!

Now I need to get down to trying to decide between two alternative layout plans, each with their own pros and cons but of all the ones I have considered closes meet the sort of WTT I seek to run.

I also need to keep my eye out for Hornby sneaking out TTS chips and change my chipping plans accordingly.

Cheers for now

Paul 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:18, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

So far, so good, here is the first of my monthly updates:-

I have managed to locate a couple of people who can do  maintenance/re motor/chipping of my Lima locos and units. I have one back after treatment and while there is still some noise from the gears, it does seem to run quite well. I am about to send off a HST pair for treatment including TTS sound modules. I will post how I get on.

I had been debating whether to change the "modern" version of my layout from running c2007 to c2016.

The original decision was made some 10 years ago in 2009. However I really like the new 800 series sets and the new GWR livery.

So I have taken the plunge! This means some of my locos and units bought over the last ten years or so are in obsolete liveries. So I have been going through these planning which to sell and which to have re painted (Spray painting is not one of my skills!).

I have managed to find someone who can do the work at a rate I can live with and whose results look good. The first loco, a class 58 in  Virgin livery will be sent off this week to return in DRS Large Compass colours. Again, I will post the results on it s return.

Regarding my questions in the above post, it seems that the only Lima locos that did not get the standard pancake motor apart from the Class 67s were later class 20s.

I found someone who put a class 31 TTS in a class 105 DMU, and the posted video sounded reasonable. I am considering whether the difference between seamless sound of a loco with electric transmission and the gear changes of the DMU is an acceptable compromise given that my layout will not have a station so the DMUs will mainly pass through and would not have needed to do gear changes. The jury is still out on this!

Now I need to get down to trying to decide between two alternative layout plans, each with their own pros and cons but of all the ones I have considered closes meet the sort of WTT I seek to run.

I also need to keep my eye out for Hornby sneaking out TTS chips and change my chipping plans accordingly.

Cheers for now

Paul 

Hi All,

Apologies for the time that has elapsed  since my last update, but judging from the deathly silence that has greeted my last couple of posts, I am largely talking to myself so I don't think it matters much.

This being the case, I am thinking that I will save myself some time and not bother with any further updates.

Clearly my modelling problems and successes are of little interest to members of the forum, or not sufficient interest to be worth commenting on!

I have plenty to occupy me on the modelling front and I think I will limit myself to contributing to others threads that I find of interest and asking the occasional question on a particular point I need information on.

Best regards

Paul

1 hour ago, RobjUK said:

You have well over 2,000 views of this thread - people are interested, they just don't have anything to add so far!

OK,
Lets try turning some of my comments into questions and see if the 2000+ viewers respond?

1) Is it sensible to have maintenance/re motor/chipping of my Lima locos and units? As my layout will be code 100 track I intend keeping the current wheels. Will this work?

2) I am debating whether to change the "modern" version of my layout from running c2007 to c2016. The original decision was made some 10 years ago in 2009. However I really like the new 800 series sets and the new GWR livery. This means some of my locos and units bought over the last ten years or so are in liveries that are not suited to 2016 running. Is it worth the cost of respraying? (spray painting is not one of my skills!).

3) What are peoples experience of putting loco TTS chips into DMUs (Not HSTs!)? A video of a class 31 TTS in a class 105 DMU, sounded reasonable. Is the difference between seamless sound of a loco with electric transmission and the gear changes of the DMU is very noticeable or an acceptable compromise given that my layout will not have a station so the DMUs will mainly pass through and would not have needed to do gear changes?

Any comments or advice on the above would be welcolme, particularly other peoples experiences in these areas?

Cheers
Paul

On 10/12/2019 at 20:18, Tallpaul69 said:

OK,
Lets try turning some of my comments into questions and see if the 2000+ viewers respond?

1) Is it sensible to have maintenance/re motor/chipping of my Lima locos and units? As my layout will be code 100 track I intend keeping the current wheels. Will this work?

2) I am debating whether to change the "modern" version of my layout from running c2007 to c2016. The original decision was made some 10 years ago in 2009. However I really like the new 800 series sets and the new GWR livery. This means some of my locos and units bought over the last ten years or so are in liveries that are not suited to 2016 running. Is it worth the cost of respraying? (spray painting is not one of my skills!).

3) What are peoples experience of putting loco TTS chips into DMUs (Not HSTs!)? A video of a class 31 TTS in a class 105 DMU, sounded reasonable. Is the difference between seamless sound of a loco with electric transmission and the gear changes of the DMU is very noticeable or an acceptable compromise given that my layout will not have a station so the DMUs will mainly pass through and would not have needed to do gear changes?

Any comments or advice on the above would be welcolme, particularly other peoples experiences in these areas?

Cheers
Paul

1. if you are using code 100 , why change anything , if the units runs just " chip" them 

2. only you can weigh up costs against your desire for the correct livery , whatever you do , dont bodge it

3. Loco chips will run fine in a DMU electrically  , But the sound ,may/will not be correct , there are several DMU sounds chips available . Again , this is a subjective decision that only you can take . Personally I like teh sound to be a very close approximation or none at all.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have decided that my layout adventure has reached the stage where it would be sensible to amalgamate my several threads into one, which I hope to find easier to keep up with!

So I will over the next few days be starting a new thread in the Layout Topics area titled "Lower Thames Valley".

My thanks to everyone who has contributed here, even those who disagree with me!

Keep smiling

Best regards

Paul