Tom Foster Weathering - Bespoke Service

Tom F

• 4 weeks later...

Another week, and another two items of rolling stock through the workbench.

IMG_2981-2.jpg.06db45e7a11467ddbc675d4dbd68b7aa.jpg

The K1 was really fun to work on, with my client requesting something similar to this photo from flickr.

K1 in Winter..

The Brake Tender was weathered to a photo on Paul Bartlett's site.IMG_2976-2.jpg.c264a57e60396daed0b90d88577adac5.jpg

Both very enjoyable models to work on.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 hours ago, John Besley said:

Hello Tom, how did you do the motion?

Hi John

My usual method of a mixture airbursh, powder and drybrushing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The last of the recent back of commissions for my client. This Bachmann Class 24.

IMG_4009.jpg

Moving on to something a bit more from the art deco era....

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2023 at 22:39, Tom F said:

prototype photographs to work with.

image.png.942354741455d5bc3a8eea57b5d78840.png

Absolutely beautiful, (grottily ironic 😆 ), job you did on this. 👍

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2022 at 14:06, Tom F said:

70B55146-56A4-419E-875D-B4620A3B63DA.jpeg.12a89190e4e8f76d7cfd82d3a4ce877f.jpeg

Catching up on this thread and loving the content. One pointer on wagon construction - the top two planks on a seven plank wagon as shown would be one piece running the full length, so when replaced, the unpainted plank would be all the way across. Getting very picky, the lower left plank should also be unpainted to the left of the ironwork. Hopefully useful pointers to lift things up that final notch.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

The final locomotive of this commission, was this Hornby Gresley A1 4475 Flying Fox.

I've always enjoyed weathering apple green locomotives, there is just the wonderful contrast of the slight grubbiness and the glorious colour.

At one time as some of you may remember, this was my primary interest, so it's been lovely to revisit these engines of the art deco period once again.

IMG_4365.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

They all look great Tom, I’m not sure I could bring myself to ask for that weathering to a blue A4 regardless of accuracy, only in dark green days 😆 It comes from being overawed by Mallard looking so clean back in 88. 

The green A1’s and Sliver Link would be exactly what I’d want, majestic but hard working. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As one who enjoys doing a bit of weathering, that is truly first class and something to aspire to. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As one who enjoys doing a bit of weathering, that is truly first class and something to aspire to. 

Rob. 

11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As someone without an artistic bone in his body, this is weathering of the highest echelon, I couldn't even aspire to it!

Mike.

Thank you both for such lovely comments.

The weathering business has very much become 'a business' in the last few months, to the point I'm wanting to cut down my peripatetic violin teaching work. 4 days driving for over two hours each day for the past 10 years has taken it's toll. I'm enjoying the varied clientele work that is now passing my way, as well as working on my 40+ft 009 layout (I'm also stating a 009 exhibition layout too).

Thank you so much for the support, it is greatly appreciated as I take these bigger steps into making 'Tom Foster Weathering' a more full time employment.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2