Independent Head and Taillight Operation

PaulK

That's a very good solution if you are happy to restrict the running of the loco to one direction only when hauling and would definitely be better that tail lights incorrectly illuminated at the coupled end.

What lights are showing when you reverse up to couple to your train?

Funnily enough, ZIMO decoders can be set up to turn all lights off at one end or the other at the touch of a button whilst still retaining all the individual lighting options when you don't need the 'all off at one end' facility.

Best regards,

Paul

• 1 year later...

Another way to operate tail lights separately is to use one function output to operate a miniature relay. It needs to have a 12v coil and be the DPDT type. Cut the wire to the tail light at each end, wiring each end through one changeover contact, and mapping the output onto the desired function button. If the contacts make with the relay operated, the lights will come on directionally, and if the contacts break then the loghts will go out. It's down to personal preference which you like. On my Bachman. Class 40, operating the function button turns the tail lights on,  so the relay spends most of it time unenergised.

Suitable relays come in tubes of 40 from Rapid Electronics - no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Frustrated with the issue myself and with a number of locos to convert to DCC, I have designed a simple electronic solution to the direction cab light and switchable on/off tail light which can be implemented using any 4 function decoder  F0 as normal, F1 Cab Lights (directional), F2 Tail Lights On/Off (directional).  I am about to breadboard and test using a basic 8 pin 4 function decoder.  Cost of circuit is well under a £1 with a small PCB of about 1 inch square.

No switches or relays required, fully controllable using the function buttons. 

is there still any interest in this?

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
Circuit cost and size

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2021 at 05:44, NFWEM57 said:

Frustrated with the issue myself and with a number of locos to convert to DCC, I have designed a simple electronic solution to the direction cab light and switchable on/off tail light which can be implemented using any 4 function decoder  F0 as normal, F1 Cab Lights (directional), F2 Tail Lights On/Off (directional).  I am about to breadboard and test using a basic 8 pin 4 function decoder.  Cost of circuit is well under a £1 with a small PCB of about 1 inch square.

No switches or relays required, fully controllable using the function buttons. 

is there still any interest in this?

Patrick

How do you make allowances for different locations of resistors?

For example, the Bachmann 37s and 47/57 have resistors on the cab circuit board, whilst Bachmann 66s have the resistors on the main circuit board?

Also for Hornby 60s - where some are positive common (factory fitted Loksound, but the cab interiors are available as spares) and the rest are negative common?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2021 at 22:33, newbryford said:

How do you make allowances for different locations of resistors?

For example, the Bachmann 37s and 47/57 have resistors on the cab circuit board, whilst Bachmann 66s have the resistors on the main circuit board?

Also for Hornby 60s - where some are positive common (factory fitted Loksound, but the cab interiors are available as spares) and the rest are negative common?

First, my apologies, I started two new threads related to this.  DCC Topics (Not Questions)

On the subject of the resistors, it is a matter of adapting the output circuit to suit whatever configuration is present. You could connect the collector to blue and have the emitter feed the LEDs already fitted with resistors at whatever location.  Think of the output circuit as a tap with current going in via the collector and flowing out of the emitter to whatever (light) load.; which could be a mixture of connection on the main PCB and the Cab PCBs. 

Hope this helps.

Patrick