Bachmann Class 37 bogie question

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a used Bachmann Class 37/4 37406 'The Saltire Society and while I was removing it from the packaging, I discovered a oil like film on the shell and oil on the bogie frames.

Upon further inspection, the entire chassis was coated in a oil like film. I have since disassembled the chassis and the bogies to discover that the bogie grease has hardened and partially separated with the "oil" coating the bogies, while the hardened grease is stuck to everything else.

I gave the pieces a good soak in warm water and some dish soap, and have tried to remove the grease using a Q-tip and soft shop towel.

My question is, is it possible to soak the bogie in some isopropyl alcohol with out damaging the plastic or having swelling issues? Is there another solution? I have a 37415 that looks like of the same era, and suspect I will end up having the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

• Like 1

Before today ive stripped down one of my Bachmann 37 bogies,

cleaned all excess grease n oil out with wd 40 and cotton buds the lightly grease gears only refited back in loco Alex..

Hope this helps

cheers neil.

I would seriously recommend avoiding the use of WD40 and similar oils on model railway equipment.  WD40 is a penetrating oil.  One feature of this is that it can penetrate plastic and mazac causing them to crack.  If you must use a penetrating oil then you must wash it off afterwards to protect you models.

And yes, I've had plastic wheels crack after someone used WD40 to clean dirty track! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BR37414 said:

Upon further inspection, the entire chassis was coated in a oil like film. I have since disassembled the chassis and the bogies to discover that the bogie grease has hardened and partially separated with the "oil" coating the bogies, while the hardened grease is stuck to everything else.

My question is, is it possible to soak the bogie in some isopropyl alcohol with out damaging the plastic or having swelling issues?

The grease applied at the factory is thixotropic, which is why it turns to 'oil' when moving surfaces are in contact through it. This oil then lubricates everything, whether it is meant to or not! Remove all excess grease using a cocktail stick for the still solid stuff, or old paintbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol (IPA) for the liquid stuff. Using IPA this way will not damage the plastic, because it evaporates too quickly. I suggest not using cotton swabs - they shed tiny threads of cotton that can get where you don't want them to. Just soaking in IPA will not achieve very much.

37 111 Grease removed.JPG

Class 37 bogie - GREASE.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

the oil on the chassis is not an age thing - I had these models from new (when first released) and when delivered had a coating of oil over the bogies and chassis (and many other models around same time including Class 20s, 25s that I can recall).  I've never removed it TBH but is on the list of things to do before weathering...  more recent releases from Bach don't seem to suffer same problems.

M

• Like 1

I concur with the comments above.

This problem with Bachmann diesels has been around for a long time, although perhaps it has become less bad of late.

You may as well bite the bullet and do a proper clean when you make the purchase, as simply wiping off the worst is only a temporary answer, and will need to be repeated time after time.

John.

• RMweb Premium

I usually give any chassis (or body) parts a scrub with Cif/Jif and an old toothbrush, then rinse with plenty of clean water, before any painting or weathering is done.

That shifts the oil sheen from any surface I've ever seen it on, without any detriment to the plastic.

It seems to be more prevalent on models that have been stored on their side, as opposed to stood on their wheels (even if they are in their box), so I always try to keep models the right way up whenever possible.

Cheers,

Phil.