Advice on GWR Pannier

truffy

Good morrow gentlefolk,

I have decided that I would like to test the water with 0 gauge, not least because I can achieve proper scale without having to don cable-knit sweater and build/adapt my track and rolling stock from a historically-inaccurate half-baked compromise to something more akin to real life (note to 00 enthusiasts: I'm still keeping a foot in the 00 camp, and not knocking your choice, it's just that my OCD is in conflict with laziness and inabilities!)

And, being a good SR man, I have a soft spot for the GWR. In particular the 57XX/8750 Pannier...I was an Ivor fan as a child, I can't help it.

My 0 gauge dalliance will be small...at least for now. So I would like an RTR Pannier please. And I would appreciate feedback on which might be the best to get. Fidelity to prototype is more important than cost...within reason.

So far, I have looked at Minerva and Dapol. Minerva is more pricey, but Dapol's site has only two customer reviews and neither are flattering for anyone looking for a GWR model!

Lovely looking model EXCEPT it is NOT GWR it BR. It carries a smoke box number and a shed plate number. In other words a 8750 pannier in BR days. This is no what it says on the box. It is not what I ordered

My only issue is that this version has a BR smoke box number plate and a BR shed plate witch for me spoil an otherwise perfect model. ... But a pure GWR version already numbered would be nice! ie with GWR lettering on the sides.

Neither of those imbue a great deal of faith if what I'm looking for is exactly just that, a GWR model.

Minerva don't seem to have customer reviews. I'm not sure if this is clever or not.

So, if any of you have experience in these models, or other RTR, what would you say is the better option? If this is an unfair question, please report to mods as appropriate. Thanks!

Edited by truffy
added tags

Have you taken the trouble to search on 'Minerva Pannier' or 'Dapol Pannier'? There are countless comments to be read on RMWeb, Western Thunder, G0G website and many other places. When you have finished reading all of those you can then ask for more specific information or comments if you need to.

Dave

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Truffy

I had the same decision as you , except that I consider myself a competent O gauge kit builder , and wanted to purchase some O gauge RTR.

I Chose the Dapol version because mine cost £179 from Rails Of Sheffield and so was a lot cheaper than Minerva version by a mile...

The Dapol version  has a more detailed chassis and includes the firebox grate and has psuedo working inside motion...( always a glutton for gimmicks)

The safety valve is more detailed than Minerva.

I have been so impressed with mine (straight out of the box) that i produced this ` naff` personal video which if you wait a while has my ancient voice going through my experince....

I am in the process of `stripping down` the Dapol 57XX version I have, both to spray paint the chassis, and to replace the lamp irons ( for lost wax better detailed versions)  and vacuum and heating pipes to fully detail the buffer beam areas. I am also going to hard wire DCC sound but not using the 21pin decoder version 

Lovely....lovely  RTR models for the price.......

DSC04688.JPG.6712306ee1bad3f0301e5f0ea4ec8c6f.JPG

DSC04747.JPG.ff3af85748d7298a668b4293eb19567e.JPG

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have two Minervas.  Very happy with them.

Experience suggests there’s little chance that  you’ll get a sensible result from a referendum!  

Perhaps, go to an 0 gauge show, and compare & contrast in the flesh?

best

Simon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simond said:

I have two Minervas.  Very happy with them.

I agree with Simon... I have three MInerva panniers and no complaints.

If you wish to compare models, then go to one of the Gauge 0 Guild shows and visit the respective trade stands - then you can compare not just the models for you can compare how you get on with talking to the Manufacturers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROSSPOP said:

The Dapol version  has a more detailed chassis and includes the firebox grate and has psuedo working inside motion...( always a glutton for gimmicks)

The safety valve is more detailed than Minerva.

Thank you, John, for such a thoughtful and detailed reply. From what you're saying, it appears that Dapol might have the edge on fidelity, which is my major criterion. Followed by good running. Although cost is always an issue, since I consider this to be the one purchase of my favourite locomotive of all time, then that is much less important than faithfulness of the replica to the prototype.

1 hour ago, Simond said:

4 minutes ago, Western Star said:

If you wish to compare models, then go to one of the Gauge 0 Guild shows and visit the respective trade stands - then you can compare not just the models for you can compare how you get on with talking to the Manufacturers.

This is, of course, sage advice and always the best approach, when possible. Unfortunately, my location "somewhere outside your window" is quite a long way outside...Switzerland to be precise. I don't get back to the home country too often, hence tapping into others' experience of these models.

Thanks, once again, to all!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Nigel, just to add in some thoughts.  I bought a Dapol LT pannier a little while ago.  I only really went that way as Minerva, quite understandably, didn't want the cost of extra tooling. I love the model but if you are DCC I would think about either the Minerva or fitting a better stay alive chip for the Dapol. My Pannier is very sensitive to my dirty track - yes I know that is my fault.  I have just purchased a Terrier and fitted a You Choos sound and stay alive chip and it works really well.  I saw a demo on the Minerva stand and they seemed to be much better. In terms of looks I think they both look great.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Tim

I have the Dapol for reasons of price and inside motion.  Visually the only jarring issue with Minerva is the non prototypical crease in the 8750 cab side sheet that is IMO toy like and I'm guessing hard to improve.

I agree about stay alive.  Transformed by DCC Concepts chip and supercap.  As I bought the base model, this wasn't an extra cost and decoder is an easy install.

I have a Dapol 57 and 64. Both run fine although running in improved both slightly. Both are DC and are ok over Peco points providing you keep the track clean. A veteran O gauger once told me the three most important things in model railroading are clean track, clean track and clean track. Good advice. 

Edited by fezza

I have a Dapol 8750 with which I am very satisfied. Running is excellent on DC. I have changed the (rather short) whistle & shield with one from Warren Shephard, and added spare lamp irons on the running plate. If the smoke box plate is not required I would think it easy enough to remove and fill the resulting hole in the smoke box door. There are plenty of photos of panniers in GW livery with a smoke box door plate ( early BR), just depends on your chosen period. The Minerva 8750 looks very nice but has incorrect tank fillers.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

I have a Dapol 8750 with which I am very satisfied. Running is excellent on DC. I have changed the (rather short) whistle & shield with one from Warren Shephard, and added spare lamp irons on the running plate. If the smoke box plate is not required I would think it easy enough to remove and fill the resulting hole in the smoke box door. There are plenty of photos of panniers in GW livery with a smoke box door plate ( early BR), just depends on your chosen period. The Minerva 8750 looks very nice but has incorrect tank fillers.

The tank filler lids on the Minerva 8750 are the correct elongated shape. A few of the early 8750s, if I recall correctly, had the older pattern 57XX circular version. 

Chris Klein

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2