intresting film about River medway in Kent (shows riverside industrial etc..

calvin Streeting

someone pointed this out to me and has some lovely shots of 1930's medway esp industrial use (from about halfway in) not 100% railway related, but very intresting for backdrop info etc.. 

for example.. LOVE this Brewry Fremlins of maidstone.... now a shoping mal.. (well whats left of it) 

Capture.JPG.b863004f0bee5b2c5aea4e6bbe5f8c4f.JPG

see full film here :)

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-watery-trail-river-medway-1938-online

• Like 2

Short Brothers at Rochester with seaplanes / flying boats from around 20:00 into the film, about a mile from where I grew up, followed by the Thames Queen paddlesteamer. Chatham Dockyard around 22:30 with rail mounted cranes and wagons by the waterside.

Thanks for highlighting that.

The section that chimes more with me is from the source (well, the one they identified; there are actually several significant ones) down as far as the back of Tunbridge Wells, because I grew up in that area and knew many of the tributaries and the 'young' river well, because one of my brothers dedicated half his time to trying to get fish out of them. Being much more rural, the area really hadn't changed massively from what is shown in the film when I was a boy.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Another excellent one, including stretches that we definitely fished; I remember not buying day-tickets from The Bald Faced Stag at Ashurst, and me having to keep lookout for the bailiff while my bro fished. One slight worry is that whoever captioned the film for BFI doesn't know the difference between The Weald and The Downs, though!