Track paint alternatives

• RMweb Gold

With the completion of my second double slip, track building for Brent is now pretty much complete.  

Before I can start the mammoth task ballasting the layout (including what will be my first attempt at ash ballasting the yard), I need to get all of the track painted.  In the past for larger layouts I have used either the Railmatch or Phoenix "sleeper grime" as a one size fits all for rail sides and sleepers giving a nice weathered finish.  However the cans are pretty small and its going to take a lot of paint to cover the whole layout (not to mention the added difficulty of sourcing the stuff now that Royal Mail wont deliver it).

This has got me wondering if there is a suitable alternative available from a DIY shop / Halfords range, can anyone make a recommendation of any suitable paints?

I'd also be interested to hear more about how to model ash ballasting.

Thanks 

• RMweb Gold

I seem to think that Gordon, of Eastwood Town fame, has used brown emulsion paint for his track colour. There's a lot of ET thread to wade through so a PM to him might get a quick response if he's not on the golf course. As for Halfords I don't think people want cars that are a dirty brown colour!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I seem to think that Gordon, of Eastwood Town fame, has used brown emulsion paint for his track colour. There's a lot of ET thread to wade through so a PM to him might get a quick response if he's not on the golf course. As for Halfords I don't think people want cars that are a dirty brown colour!

I also have used dark brown emulsion paint, just be careful round the point blades.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Well, there you go. Guess who's going to Halfords next time he's in Lancaster? Their nozzles don't clog up like Railmatch rattle cans either.

• Like 2

I've been using the Halfords Brown for bodyside weathering along with the Humbrol Dark Earth which I use on chassis weathering as it is a bit lighter.

This is my BY shown on a previous thread:

905879039_HornbyBY.jpg.6ffcaf0dd5e6bf7e3c8cfa3d705bcd28.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I'd also be interested to hear more about how to model ash ballasting.

Are you familiar with this method? http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2011/08/creating-effect-of-ash-ballast.html

I think there's a few threads on here as well about the subject. As for track painting, I've used test pots of emulsion, usually from Wilkinsons, to good effect.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

Guest teacupteacup
10 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Do you have any photos?  Would be interested to see how it comes out

Not the best photo but gives a good idea...

20190318_215412.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I really like the look of that with the Halfords paint.  Do you have a rough idea how much of the can was used on that 4ft section?  I'd like to try and work out how much I would need to buy.

I also like the emulsion idea used by Gordon on Eastwood Town, but I am put off by the need to prime everything before painting (given the extra work cleaning the track a second time + the extra cost of a few tins of primer).

I'm surprised you don't need a primer with the Halfords paint, so now you've given me food for thought as I thought I'd have to use a primer before painting.

Maybe I'll do some experiments without primer, as you are right, it's another process and additional cost and the emulsion may stick better to the plastic without a primer.

Interesting......

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I'm surprised you don't need a primer with the Halfords paint, so now you've given me food for thought as I thought I'd have to use a primer before painting.

Maybe I'll do some experiments without primer, as you are right, it's another process and additional cost and the emulsion may stick better to the plastic without a primer.

Interesting......

I cant say for certain with the Halfords product, though I will try and remember to give it a try this evening with a can of satin black to see if it works.  

When using the Phoenix / Railmatch product I have always just sprayed it straight from the can, likewise on Wheal Imogen it was brush painted straight from the can).

Guest teacupteacup

I didn't use a primer, though it says to use grey on the tin.  Coverage is great so I don't see the need for priming.

The layout is 6ft x 14in and i reckon ive used less than half a can.  2 passes from each side

14 minutes ago, teacupteacup said:

I didn't use a primer, though it says to use grey on the tin.  Coverage is great so I don't see the need for priming.

I can see the coverage is great, but what happens if you scratch it with your fingernail? Does the paint come away easily or does it really adhere well without a primer?

It certainly looks good. My only problem is not being able to take the boards outside, so all spraying has to be done inside. I can get away with it using an airbrush, but fairly sure an aerosol can would have a lot of overspray and then I would be in trouble....

Guest teacupteacup
6 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I can see the coverage is great, but what happens if you scratch it with your fingernail? Does the paint come away easily or does it really adhere well without a primer?

It certainly looks good. My only problem is not being able to take the boards outside, so all spraying has to be done inside. I can get away with it using an airbrush, but fairly sure an aerosol can would have a lot of overspray and then I would be in trouble....

I tried scratching it and there was no marking, it was actually quite tough to remove from the rail tops!  

I did get some overspray on the wall before I took the boards outside, however I live alone and the room is due for redecorating after the layout is built!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, teacupteacup said:

I tried scratching it and there was no marking, it was actually quite tough to remove from the rail tops!  

I did get some overspray on the wall before I took the boards outside, however I live alone and the room is due for redecorating after the layout is built!

That sounds ideal, I am hopeful I can make it to Halfords after work to go and buy a can to experiment with.  Based on your estimate I am thinking I will need 2 cans to do the whole layout.  

Wish I had done it before adding the backscene, but hey hoe 

Guest teacupteacup
23 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

That sounds ideal, I am hopeful I can make it to Halfords after work to go and buy a can to experiment with.  Based on your estimate I am thinking I will need 2 cans to do the whole layout.  

Wish I had done it before adding the backscene, but hey hoe 

Plenty of masking and you'll be fine!

If it's a smaller Halfords you may need to order it in, I went to a larger branch which had it on the shelf.

They also do green and sand camo which could be handy for some scenic bases 

23 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I really like the look of that with the Halfords paint.  Do you have a rough idea how much of the can was used on that 4ft section?  I'd like to try and work out how much I would need to buy.

I also like the emulsion idea used by Gordon on Eastwood Town, but I am put off by the need to prime everything before painting (given the extra work cleaning the track a second time + the extra cost of a few tins of primer).

I didn't use primer for the emulsion paint on Northworthy and it's still there 35 years later - Peco Code 100 track btw.

19 hours ago, gordon s said:

You don't get that problem with emulsion paint.

• Like 1

I called in to Halfords at Wisbech this morning. Nil stock of the khaki paint. Unusually, a helpful assistant asked what I was looking for. Her 1st response was that it was only a clearance line at other stores, she then offered to check. She found it on the PC, again she said possibly only available on line (PO restrictions on paint?). She offered to get it in for tomorrow - apparently 129 (I think) in stock at the warehouse. When I said I was not local, she offered the March store for me. I said I'd order it online anyway.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

2 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

I didn't use primer for the emulsion paint on Northworthy and it's still there 35 years later - Peco Code 100 track btw.

You don't get that problem with emulsion paint.

Thanks for that input, Bruce. I'm convinced now it is a compatibility issue with the plastic as used on SMP sleepers. Having painted up a track section without primer, the paints adheres very well to the rails, but is easy to scratch away on the sleepers. Using a primer considerably improved that situation so I will continue to use emulsion plus a primer on SMP track.

Reading this thread has got me wondering about track colour.   Maybe it's old age, but when I think back to the track when I was trainspotting in the late 1950's, it's not really a brown brown, more a grey-brown.  Or maybe a brown-ey grey?

Whatever, I'd love to know what those who favour emulsion tester pots use as a starting colour for general trackwork - especially if they use Wilko's testers, which are the easiest ones for me to get hold of.