Track paint alternatives

16 minutes ago, spikey said:

Reading this thread has got me wondering about track colour.   Maybe it's old age, but when I think back to the track when I was trainspotting in the late 1950's, it's not really a brown brown, more a grey-brown.  Or maybe a brown-ey grey?

I would agree with that Spikey.

When I build my new layout I think I will spray the rail sides brown (masking the sleepers) then a slight misting of dark grey over that. Or visa versa.  I'll have to experiment on a test piece.

Then use diffferent shades of ballast suitably weathered with different shades of powders. I don't like seeing trackwork all uniform colour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Reading this thread has got me wondering about track colour.   Maybe it's old age, but when I think back to the track when I was trainspotting in the late 1950's, it's not really a brown brown, more a grey-brown.  Or maybe a brown-ey grey?

Whatever, I'd love to know what those who favour emulsion tester pots use as a starting colour for general trackwork - especially if they use Wilko's testers, which are the easiest ones for me to get hold of.

I started by spraying my track with matt black and grey primer just to get a bit of colour then made a grey brown base mix using test pots, couldn't tell you the colours though, washed that over then dry brushed various shades of the base colour until I was happy with it. Even on a small layout it took a bit of time before I was happy.

Steve.

26942954_10216078044490851_1801805061_n.jpg.7780f69435c251e9ee5371a13b92bb51.jpg

28459377_10216499760033476_426091198_n.jpg.22c835daa73ba32f0461500ab0d64c9e.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I ended up buying two cans of the Camo  Brown today after work and this evening went out to the garage to give it a go.  While it is probably a bit too brown for the 1940s, my logic is that everything will be toned down once ballasted. 

One can did almost 2/3 of the layout, 

29B598E1-D79C-4420-979E-8A153267D836.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I ended up buying two cans of the Camo  Brown today after work and this evening went out to the garage to give it a go.  While it is probably a bit too brown for the 1940s, my logic is that everything will be toned down once ballasted. 

One can did almost 2/3 of the layout, 

That looks to be great for a base colour for the rails and sleepers - and I reckon once you have ballasted it will all tone in very well.  Please could you update us with a further photo in due course?  Many thanks.

Here in Australia we don't seem to have the Halfords spray cans

( a quick search of google.au found no strong links).

However we do have the Rust-Oleum product and their spray cans includes a range of flat camouflage colours.

From reading the Rust-Oleum website information they seem to recommend the use of a primer for best results, if you are trying to cover a plastic material, perhaps overkill for our track painting needs. They also do a flat grey primer which I had considered using as a track colour base by itself.

Does any one have experience with this product? Certainly their camouflage colour range looks comprehensive.

Best regards,

Pierre

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Theheretic said:

Here in Australia we don't seem to have the Halfords spray cans

( a quick search of google.au found no strong links).

However we do have the Rust-Oleum product and their spray cans includes a range of flat camouflage colours.

From reading the Rust-Oleum website information they seem to recommend the use of a primer for best results, if you are trying to cover a plastic material, perhaps overkill for our track painting needs. They also do a flat grey primer which I had considered using as a track colour base by itself.

Does any one have experience with this product? Certainly their camouflage colour range looks comprehensive.

Best regards,

Pierre

Pierre, I use a satin vinyl brown aerosol from AutoOne, RepCo or similar. Based on Rich's photos it is a very similar colour to the Halfords camouflage brown.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

That looks to be great for a base colour for the rails and sleepers - and I reckon once you have ballasted it will all tone in very well.  Please could you update us with a further photo in due course?  Many thanks.

I will try and remember to update this thread once the ballasting is started, if not it will certainly be covered in my layout thread

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I will try and remember to update this thread once the ballasting is started, if not it will certainly be covered in my layout thread

Layout thread would be my preference Rich! I have trouble with all these mini-threads which I never see unless they happen to pop up at random.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Layout thread would be my preference Rich! I have trouble with all these mini-threads which I never see unless they happen to pop up at random.

It will certainly be covered in there.  (I know what you mean about loosing track of other threads)

• Thanks 1