Hornby Select misbehaving

Bomp

I have had my Hornby Select disconnected for a few weeks while I reconfigure my layout. Yesterday, I got to the stage where I could run a train to test some track.  I put a chip in my new (second hand) 350, and as soon as I plugged the controller in, the train set off at full speed, and Emergency Stop didn't work.  Fortunately, my son caught it before it dived off the end at the open section.  I tried changing the chip address, and tried another loco, with all the same problems.  It only makes the trains go in one direction, no matter which way I select on the controller.  What has happened and can I sort it?

I have had the Select for about 14 years and only updated any software once when I sent it back to Hornby and they located a stray wire shorting the track connectors.

Edited by Bomp
To add a little more information.

45 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

What decoders are you using?

Mainly Gaugemaster, as that's what my local shop has.  Some Hornby I think.  It's a while since I fitted some of the older ones.

• RMweb Gold

hmm ok not TCS, which I know misbehave with the Select.

I'd check your controller is ok by connecting it to a short bit of separate track from your layout and seeing how the locos behave. You could have a short that is sending things astray.

I’ll try that when I get home from work.  Thanks.  I’ll also put blocks on each end of the running line before I put any power through it. 

Hi, if it was mine, i would send it to Hornby, for updating, Its £15, and they pay return postage,  There have been several updates, including the latest, that extends suond functions. When you first turn it on, it shows version, and i imagine, yours is now, well out of date. Had both of mine done recently, well worth it. john

• RMweb Gold

I would also turn off DC running to be on the safe side:-

How to switch OFF Analogue/DC locomotive Support
1. Press and hold the “STOP” button +  >  for 1 second.The LCD display will display “C5”
(Command Station).
2. Press “FUNCTION” to toggle between C5 (Control Station) and HC (Hand Controller) modes. Ensure C5
is shown.
3. Press “SELECT” to select C5 mode. The LCD will flash twice and display “0”.
4. Press “FUNCTION” to toggle between 0 (enable) and -0 (disable) to enable/disable analogue locomotive
modes.
5. Press “SELECT” to confirm your choice.
The RED LED will fash 5 times to confirm the settings.
The LCD will display “03”.

Cheers

Ian

If you intend to send it back for updating ask them if it will get v1.6 as it was said at the Scottish Show that Hornby were gearing up for a campaign.

v1.6 will allow you to change CVs and thus reset a decoder. There are changes to overload handling and emergency stops methodology. Well worth waiting for.

There is a post in the Hornby Forum DCC section about a Select having problems with an ESUv5.0 decoder which a Select reset fixed.

Edit - v1.6 also disables DC running as default.

Edited by RAF96

Thanks all.  I'll try things when I get home today, unless the people of Guernsey misbehave today like they did yesterday, and made me late home from work!

21 hours ago, traction said:

Apparently V1.6 firmware will not be available until August/September time when I asked HH the other day.

Obviously phasing it in with release of the Select-a-Link PC interface cable. Pity as it is a good standalone improvement.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1

I’ve reset it, but I’ve just found that I changed the feed wires to the layout so I can’t just plug it back in!  Shouldn’t take long to fix then I can test it!

On 18/03/2019 at 18:05, yelrow said:

Hi, if it was mine, i would send it to Hornby, for updating, Its £15, and they pay return postage,  There have been several updates, including the latest, that extends suond functions. When you first turn it on, it shows version, and i imagine, yours is now, well out of date. Had both of mine done recently, well worth it. john

Mine says 14...