GNR (GTR) Class 717s at West Worthing carriage sidings

sem34090

Afternoon all -

Does anyone know why 717025 has been sat at West Worthing for the past few weeks, seemingly joined by 717010 at some point this weekend. I can only think that they're being reviewed as potential replacements for the Southern 313s, having displaced that class on the GNR suburban lines and the GN&CR.

I snapped a very quick photo of them from 313219 this morning:

1552904696278.jpg.0b4e077df6afba5c0420fbc4af913c08.jpg

Anyone know any better?

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

Possibly...

Maybe GTR want some more units to become so-called art installations courtesy of the local vandals and trespassers. That 700 was very well covered in spray paint - they don't even need to worry about the yellow panel this time!

I assume the sidings aren't generally powered? 717025's tail lights are noticeably dimmer than 717010's, so I assume they've been run off of battery power?

Either way, it'll be interesting to see if more appear. I also wonder if some have turned up at Brighton or Littlehampton as my commute only takes me between Bognor and Worthing.

Edited by sem34090

Ah, I see!

313s to the IoW? :P  (Just to stir it up a bit...)

Anyway, will we see a GNR 313 stripped down to provide bits to go on 313201 when it comes out of service to make it 313001 again?

8 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Anyway, will we see a GNR 313 stripped down to provide bits to go on 313201 when it comes out of service to make it 313001 again?

As has been said 717s are being stored due to lack of siding space on the GN.  Reported that there is a delay to introducing them into service due to train dispatch issues in the Moorgate tunnel section.  Also reported that it is planned to strip some GN 313s after withdrawal to provide spares for the Southern 313s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed the word we heard at one point it was to be two 313s stripped for spares and a further two for service down here.

We shall see...

[Subject to usual Railways rumour mill and Chinese Whispers terms and conditions]

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Note that they are parked at the entry end of the sidings and not moved up to the buffer stops.  Unfortunately when the sidings were reactivated, the authorised walking route installed only goes up to the inner end of the sidings, if they were parked down at the buffer stops, there is no way for the driver to walk back to the sidings exit so the far end of the sidings cannot be used by anything other than a twelve car unit(s) with through corridor connections which the 717's don't have.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

***Warning, yellow panel-related question**

Curious as to how they got there. Did they run under their own power, or does the lack of warning panel restrict the routes they can use (i.e. certain lines are cleared for use by stock without yellow ends)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

***Warning, yellow panel-related question**

Curious as to how they got there. Did they run under their own power, or does the lack of warning panel restrict the routes they can use (i.e. certain lines are cleared for use by stock without yellow ends)?

They went under their own power through the Thameslink core.  I believe the change to the yellow warning panel regulations is a national standard so applies everywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

No need for yellow panels if the headlights and marker lights conform to the latest standards. Your retinas will be burnt if you look at the lights, so you wouldn't be able to see the yellow panel anyway! 

First pair 717s into service on the GN next Monday, meaning four 313s can come out of traffic.

• Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, 5944 said:

First pair 717s into service on the GN next Monday, meaning four 313s can come out of traffic.

Oh dear. Not looking forward to having my spine hammered by their (lack of) suspension if they're anything like to 700s! 

(For the rest of my life too, unless I move away :( )

The Nim.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There is room for one more so quite possibly.  Interestingly the recently recommissioned  coal yard sidings adjacent to Hove station has just sprouted a temporary looking Class 717 stop car marker.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I took a ride to Moorgate on the way back from Ally Pally on Saturday afternoon on a pair of rammed 313's.

I think it is fairly safe to say that my Sussex coast ones are factory fresh in comparison with their Great Northern sisters!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ah well, you'll soon be guarding a pair of the GNR ones if the above comments are anything to go by. Upon realising that the Southern 313's are the oldest things left running on the network, the mainland network, in passenger service I've begun to take a bit more of an interest in them. Always keep an eye out for the fantastic-looking 313201 and also for the '59TS-jumping 313220.

Incidentally I was also that strange chap taking photos of the buffers at the end of the platforms at Bognor earlier - I noticed you were looking at me in a possibly perplexed manner John!!! For the record they're LBSCR pattern buffers mounted on LBSCR track (I think it may even be 30ft rail in Platform 3!!!) with shingle ballast in LBSCR style so it was worth taking a couple of shots for modelling purposes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A third one turned up either late yesterday or early today, don't know the number though as not seen it for myself.

According to our weekly staff newsletter, the number of 717's in service in/out of Moorgate from Monday will increase from two to three...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

GTR staff newsletter just arrived on my work phone showing a Pullman liveried Class 57 hauling the first Great Northern 313 off to the knackers yard.

Anyone know the number(s) of the first one(s) to be binned please?

3 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Wikipedia already had 313026 listed as going for scrap. Made its last journey last Monday (8th April). 313050 and 313055 are to join it shortly.

All three have gone this week, 313026 to Sims, Newport on Monday, 313055 on Tuesday night to Booth's and 313050 yesterday to EMR, Kingsbury. All hauled by 57312.

• Thanks 1