Barrow crossing on the diagonal

My BR ( W) layout needs a barrow crossing from the signal box to the opposing main platform. The prototype had one 

in in my case the nature of the compromise is the barrow crossing will  not be perpendicular to the track but slant across 4 lines 

I’ve never seen a barrow crossing from memory that’s not perpendicular but maybe they existed 

would the edges of the timbers be cut or simply standard lengths staggered across etc 

thanks again 

Dave 

Barrow crossings at more than, say, 20 degrees to the perpendicular would probably be frowned upon for both constructional and health and safety reasons.

You might want to consider a change to the normal orientation of the the top timbers and their transoms. although the following sketch is definitely non-GWR:

barrow-crossing.png

Whichever orientation of top timbers is chosen, the positioning of transoms might become too difficult if the angle to track gets silly. (This will depend on the disposition of the timbering over your 4 tracks.)

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold

They did exist (e.g Marsh Mills although it was something of an oddity as the actual rail crossing were at roughly right angles to the line but the section between them was angled) but were definitely unusual the more normal procedure being to make a suitable surface alongside the line or in the 10 foot to make the crossing itself run at right angles to the line (e,g Tavstock GWR or Bourne End).  There was a seriously angled crossing at the west end of Swindon but I'm not sure if it was wide enough to take 4 wheeled barrows.

The prototype had the barrow crossing to facilitate the signalman 

unfortunately , moving the crossing , so that it runs perpendicular creates an end point that is trapped in a loop and looks non sensical .  

The angle across is about 20 degrees off perpendicular. 

Should i build it , or drop the whole idea 

I should carry on. Barrow/foot crossings were made to fit the situation, and whilst perpendicular would be the default solution, if that could not be fitted in, the crossing would be adapted to fit the track layout, not vice-versa.

The boards would still be laid in the usual manner, aligned with the rails, and both they and the supporting timbers cut as required. That would mean an irregular edge, as I very much doubt that any of the timbers would be cut with neat angled ends. Level crossings were not always neatly perpendicular to the track and the solutions adopted there would be comparable to your angled barrow crossing.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

I should carry on. Barrow/foot crossings were made to fit the situation, and whilst perpendicular would be the default solution, if that could not be fitted in, the crossing would be adapted to fit the track layout, not vice-versa.

The boards would still be laid in the usual manner, aligned with the rails, and both they and the supporting timbers cut as required. That would mean an irregular edge, as I very much doubt that any of the timbers would be cut with neat angled ends. Level crossings were not always neatly perpendicular to the track and the solutions adopted there would be comparable to your angled barrow crossing.

Jim

Strangely the big one at Swindon had many of the timbers  cut neatly to follow the angle of the crossing - and it went through the middle of two pairs of points in the process.  Alas I can't show any pictures as they area on a web site listed for sale but this link might work

https://picclick.co.uk/Swindon-Railway-Station-Photo-Great-Western-Railway-13-263268996545.html#&gid=1&pid=1

• Like 3